From HL7 TSC
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC - Technical Steering Committee

Monday, February 9, 2009 11:00 AM (US Eastern Time, GMT -5)
To participate, dial 770-657-9270 and enter pass code 124466#
GoToMeeting at
GoToMeeting ID: 165-215-206 

back to TSC Minutes and Agendas



  • Chair: Charlie McKay
  • CTO: John Quinn
  • Domain Experts: Austin Kreisler (primary), Ed Tripp (alternate)
  • Foundation & Technology: Ioana Singureanu (primary), Woody Beeler (alternate)
  • Structure & Semantic Design: Calvin Beebe (primary), Gregg Seppala (alternate)
  • Technical & Support Services: Ken McCaslin (primary), Helen Stevens Love (alternate)
  • Affiliate: Ravi Natarajan
  • ARB Chair: Charlie Mead
  • HQ: Karen Van Hentenryck, Lynn Laakso


  • Charles Jaffe (CEO)
  • Ed Hammond (HL7 Chair); Bob Dolin (HL7 Vice Chair)
  • Marc Koehn (EA IP)


  • Ravi Natarajan, Affiliate
  • Charlie McCay, Chair


  1. (5 min) Meeting Admin
    1. Roll Call - The following individuals joined the call: Calvin Beebe, Woody Beeler, Marc Koehn, Austin Kreisler, Lynn Laakso, Charlie Mead, Ken McCaslin, John Quinn, Gregg Seppala, Ioana Singureanu, Helen Stevens Love, and Ed Tripp
    2. Accept Agenda - noted that the TSC projects that were at the bottom of last week's agenda are now directly linked from the TSC wiki main page. No further comments or additions, agenda accepted.
    3. Approve Minutes from concall-20090202 – – unanimously approved
    4. Review action items – move to Discussion
  2. Priority Agenda Topics
    1. EA IP - Marc Koehn
  3. (20 min) Standing Committee Reports/Approvals
    1. CEO Report -
    2. CTO Report - [1]
    3. ArB Report -
      • Mead reports they’re working the updated SAEAF. He’s working on an educational deck. BF has stabilized over last couple weeks. Conformance and compliance statements are coming from NCI, harmonizing with HL7 and OHT. Ioana asked who was representing IC – Tony Julian is their rep.
    4. Affiliates Report – none present; no report.
    5. Structure & Semantic Design -
      • Project Approval, tabled from 20090202: Tracker # 875 Clinical Genomics Gene Expression Data. [2] Calvin (representing SD) motion, Ed second, unanimously approved
      • Project Approval, tabled from 20090202: Tracker # 876 PH Case Report CDA V2 L3 IG [3]; motion by Calvin (SD), second by Austin, unanimously approved.
        • Notion of role of TSC approving US-Realm specific IG was raised. There is no U.S. affiliate to otherwise approve. IGs do not have to be balloted. Noted that at Orlando a universal version of CCD was planned. Are all IGs realm-specific, and by extension all implementations of CDA also IGs and therefore realm-specific? Tabled for next week.
      • Request for Dissolution of Work Group, tabled from 20090202: Tracker #878 Scheduling and Logistics - [4].
        • Noted that the dissolution request does not reflect the disposition of the work products.
        • Calvin intends to cut and paste the changes reflected in the M&C from the affected work groups. Gregg noted that ANSI scheduling group looking for an update.
        • Calvin withdraws this item for now pending updated information.
    6. Domain Experts -
      • Project Approval, first review: Electronic Laboratory Reporting to Public Health IG [5]. Motion by Austin, seconded by Calvin, Unanimously approved.
      • Renewal of standards at 5 year anniversary with ANSI: Tracker # 888
        • Filing the extension is an HQ activity. Ed indicates that per Karen's email: to renew we need re-affirmation, ballot as comment only. Project statement forthcoming to pursue ballot.
      • Project Approval, second review: Healthcare SOA Reference Architecture (H-SOA-RA) and EHR System Design Reference Model (EHR-SD-RM) [6] - tabled from 20090126.
        • Mead says he received a comparison of H-SOA-RA to SAEAF from Koisch last night. Jim on the call. Steve sent out revised wording last week.
        • Mead suggests this be part of the alpha project group so that it is not a definition of architecture independent of enterprise architecture development.
        • Quinn suggests require it to be an alpha project, work with transition and come back to TSC before going to ballot.
        • Woody concerned then, about the title over-reaching. Another title is Services Representation of func requirements of EHR. Re word it and review next week.

Need e-vote on non-controversial projects. TSC Members, See email for link to survey e-Vote. Flip agenda for next week Time expired, meeting adjourned at 12:01 pm.

  1. Agenda items not addressed:
    1. Foundation & Technology -
      • What is the role of the SD liaison to the ArB?
      • Project Approval (revised scope statement), tabled from 20090202: Tracker # 879 Datatypes transfer from InM to Mnm [7]
    2. Technical & Support Services -
      • The SD reviewed the concept of appointed co-chairs and has stated that this is not an accepted practice even for those Work Groups that have limited membership and/or membership also includes HL7 HQ staff. Work Groups typically have people on the list servers and the membership is typically larger than those who actually attend therefore there should be the opportunity to vote during co-chair elections. See motion below.
      • Editorial Review Board - Virginia Lorenzi reported back that she has not received invitation to participate in any activity for the last several months. Question to the TSC - Is this group meeting and if so what needs to be done to get this project moving? And if not should this project be terminated?
      • Kyoto Meeting - The following WG report they will have meetings and quorum: Education, Publishing, Tooling, and Electronic Services. The following groups are still trying to get confirmation: Project Services and PIC.
      • Project Services
        • Update regarding ARB position on backward compatibility - Due to the focus on SAEF document they have not been able to provide clarity and therefore the project scope statement does not provide guidance in the attachment there is no help text for the user.
        • A question came to the SD regarding scope statement changes - does this need to come to the SD and the TSC. See motion below:
        • There is a concern that a scope statement and the ballot for the project may not be in alignment and who should be responsible for managing this issue.
      • A Work Group has a proposal to split off into groups. After review, the general consciences was that the mission and charter of both has basically the same intent and at this point it does not seem to present a case for this to occur. This is on hold while mission and charter statements are drafted.
      • Wiki - SD does not have a link to the TSC wiki. Will Correct this by having a link on
      • MOTION: For all board and TSC appointed WG and committee co-chairs effective the May 2009 WGM be nominated for their position, their position expire every two years, that co-chair terms be off-set so that no more than 1 co-chair term expire during a WGM and that each co-chair be elected by those qualified under the requirements set by the Governance and Operations Manual (GOM).
      • *MOTION: When scope is changed in a project, an adjust Project Scope Statement will be approved by the primary WG and the SD, providing the TSC at least 30 days prior to the ballot cycle the project is intended for, for TSC approval.
  2. (30 min) Discussion topics
    1. TSC Internal Project Proposals -
    2. Approval of updates to TSC Decision Making Practices, TSC Mission and Charter, and Communications Plan
    3. Review action items
    4. Open Issues List

Future Agenda item list

Click for TSC Action Item List