From HL7 TSC
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC - Technical Steering Committee

Monday, February 2, 2009 11:00 AM (US Eastern Time, GMT -5)
To participate, dial 770-657-9270 and enter pass code 124466#
GoToMeeting at
GoToMeeting ID: 165-215-206 

back to TSC Minutes and Agendas



  • Chair: Charlie McKay
  • CTO: John Quinn
  • Domain Experts: Austin Kreisler (primary), Ed Tripp (alternate)
  • Foundation & Technology: Ioana Singureanu (primary), Woody Beeler (alternate)
  • Structure & Semantic Design: Calvin Beebe (primary), Gregg Seppala (alternate)
  • Technical & Support Services: Ken McCaslin (primary), Helen Stevens Love (alternate)
  • Affiliate: Ravi Natarajan
  • ARB Chair: John Koisch, Charlie Mead
  • HQ: Karen Van Hentenryck, Lynn Laakso


  • Charles Jaffe (CEO)
  • Ed Hammond (HL7 Chair); Bob Dolin (HL7 Vice Chair)
  • Marc Koehn (EA IP)


  • John Quinn, CTO (Expects to join later in call)
  • Gregg Seppala, SSD SD


  1. (5 min) Meeting Admin
    1. Roll Call - The following individuals joined the call: Calvin Beebe, Woody Beeler, Marc Koehn, John Koisch, Austin Kreisler, Lynn Laakso, Ken McCaslin, Charlie McCay, Chuck Meyer, Ravi Natarajan, Ioana Singureanu, Helen Stevens Love, Ed Tripp, and Karen Van Hentenryck
    2. Accept Agenda - no comments or additions, agenda accepted.
    3. Approve Minutes from concall-20090126 – – unanimously approved
    4. Review action items – move to Discussion
  2. Guest Topics
    1. Approve GOM Work Items for Revision cycle 0901
      • TSC does not ratify the GOM items, but is wished to vote to approve review of items, to demonstrate understanding, confirming that the TSC has seen the list. Motion by Ken, second by Ravi; amendment to suggest additional items within next week to EC/GOC.
      • Discussion:
        • 0901006 Ravi concerned on OHT initiative; HQ to address issues of IP
        • 0901007 Ioana indicates there is a greater issue on the status of spec itself (DSTU), Chuck indicates any can respond to wording of revision when it is crafted.
      • unanimously approved.
    2. EA IP - Marc Koehn
      • Executive Sponsor - John Quinn
      • Updated slide deck and derived Project Scope Statement
      • Helen commented the funding was approved through Infoway.
      • Need to convene advisory group, vs. identify alpha projects. Ravi concerned about getting Affiliate involvement.
      • Marc suggests open invitation for members of advisory group, evaluate balance criteria if many respond. Need to clarify roles and expectations of those volunteers.
        • ACTION ITEM: Marc and Lynn will get the invitation out.
  3. (20 min) Standing Committee Reports/Approvals
    1. CEO Report -
    2. CTO Report - Here is my brief weekly report. I am in the SCO (formerly SDO Summit) meeting in Dallas Texas today where I am the HL7 primary representative. Regrettably, SCO has scheduled HITSP’s (Ed Larsen’s) presentation of their Foundation Services framework approach based on SAEAF this morning at 11 AM EST during the TSC call. I am needed to support Ed in this presentation and will join the TSC call as soon as I am able after this presentation.
    3. ArB Report - TSC has requested ArB review their M&C in regards to the EA IP.
      • John K. reports breaking SAEAF into sections, BF in separate documents. They are planning on publishing a week from today.
      • SOA tutorial in Kyoto by ArB and SOA WG, focused on HSSP what it’s done and where it’s going. Anticipate discussion on SOA practical guides put out. Does not look like there will be SAEAF tutorial in Kyoto. There is also an OOC meeting in Las Vegas in conjunction with Harmonization meeting.
        • Ioana indicates FT SD has interest to become more involved. She raises issue of peer review on wording of “compliance” with respect to appeal process of rejected disposition. Process question deferred offline between John and Ioana, along with further discussion of issue.
    4. Affiliates Report – Ravi did not receive much feedback to his request for info, will work with Helen on how to gain traction.
    5. Domain Experts -
      • Project Approval, second review: Healthcare SOA Reference Architecture (H-SOA-RA) and EHR System Design Reference Model (EHR-SD-RM) [1] - tabled from 20090126. Charlie McCay suggests we provide feedback that we are considering and will get back to them.
        • ACTION ITEM: John and Woody to craft response motion.
      • Project Approval, first review: Request for Publication of eStability DSTU [2] – RCRIM requesting 9-month DSTU period. Cautioned that existing DSTU expiration issue might apply, and need to provide enough time to establish normative issue. Motion unanimously approved.

Time expired; please look at project definitions for next week. Adjourned at 11:58 am.

  1. Remaining Agenda items not addressed:
    1. Foundation & Technology -
      • What is the role of the SD liaison to the ArB?
      • Project Approval (revised scope statement), first review: Tracker # 879 Datatypes transfer from InM to Mnm [3]
    2. Structure & Semantic Design -
      • Project Approval, first review: Tracker # 875 Clinical Genomics Gene Expression Data [4]
      • Project Approval, first review: Tracker # 876 PH Case Report CDA V2 L3 IG [5]
      • Request for Dissolution of Work Group, first review: Tracker #878 Scheduling and Logistics - [6]
    3. Technical & Support Services -
    4. (30 min) Discussion topics
      1. Review of ANSI standards past or nearing the five year mark
      2. Approval of updates to TSC Decision Making Practices, TSC Mission and Charter, and Communications Plan
      3. TSC Internal Project Proposals -
      4. Review action items
      5. Open Issues List

Future Agenda item list

Click for TSC Action Item List