TSC Decision Making Practices
HL7 Technical Steering Committee (TSC) Decision-making Practices (DMP)
Decision-making Practices Document (DMP), Version 
See MS Word version available at http://www.hl7.org/Library/Committees/tsc/TSCDMP20100222_approved.doc, Last updated 2010-02-22
Revision proposed for 2010-12-13:
Link to Generic DMP v3.0 at http://www.hl7.org/Library/Committees/pi/Generic_HL7_WG_DMP_v3.0_Template_approved.doc
Customizations needed for TSC:
Removed 2.a, b, c, f, g
- added 2.1 on participation
- opportunity to speak only guaranteed for members
- guests are otherwise regarded as observers
- changed 2.2.c observers shall not cause distractions, may seet attention of chair if wish to comment on agenda topic and shall not otheriwse participate in deliberations
- changed 2.3
- deleted 2.3.a scheduled conference calls may be attended by persons registered on the list server (not applicable for closed membership group)
- added 2.a guests may petition chair to become observers, announce their presence, rules of courtesy
- customized 2.3.b to include permalink to TSC Wiki
- 3.a.iii updated URL for TSC Wiki
- 3.2.1.b changed to reflect TSC Retreat preliminary agenda
- 5 notes Specific quorum of chair plus five voting members including two steering divisions
- 5: should the Chair be counted as the co-chair representing his/her constituent in the event no other cochairs of that constituent are present?
- 5 b) deference of decisions if key stakeholders not present deleted as Roberts rules provide for tabled motion
- 5.1.b deleted for direction setting
- 5.2.b cannot have more than one presiding co-chair (cannot switch from Austin to John Quinn and back, etc)
- 5.c: WGM where elected TSC member vote cannot be represented should elect ad-hoc.
- 6.3 changed based on closed membership
- 6.f preponderance of influence deleted
- 6.1.d removed - no ballot reconciliation
Comment from T3SD meeting 20101206 - need more specific language on expectations of Co-Chairs and Representatives whether they are expected to canvass their Steering Division to ensure they accurately represent their constituency, or cast votes based on their own thought leadership endorsed by their constituency.
Below is a quick reference for meeting configurations. (Note: this table does not have a direct correlation to the scenarios above.) .
|Chair or Delegate (e.g., CTO)||1||1||1||1||1||1||1||1||1|
|Elected Steering Division representatives||1||2||3||1||2||3||1||2||3|
|Other Voting TSC members||3||2||2||4||3||2||5||4||1|
|Is a Quorum established?||No||No||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||No|