From HL7 TSC
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC - Technical Steering Committee

Monday, January 26, 2009 11:00 AM (US Eastern Time, GMT -5)
To participate, dial 770-657-9270 and enter pass code 124466#
GoToMeeting at
GoToMeeting ID: 165-215-206 

back to TSC Minutes and Agendas



  • Chair: Charlie McKay
  • CTO: John Quinn
  • Domain Experts: Austin Kreisler (primary), Ed Tripp (alternate)
  • Foundation & Technology: Ioana Singureanu (primary), Woody Beeler (alternate)
  • Structure & Semantic Design: Calvin Beebe (primary), Gregg Seppala (alternate)
  • Technical & Support Services: Ken McCaslin (primary), Helen Stevens Love (alternate)
  • Affiliate: Ravi Natarajan
  • ARB Chair: Charlie Mead
  • HQ: Karen Van Hentenryck, Lynn Laakso


  • Charles Jaffe (CEO); Ed Hammond (HL7 Chair); Bob Dolin (HL7 Vice Chair)


  • Austin Kreisler, DE SD
  • Ioana Singureanu, FT SD


  1. (5 min) Meeting Admin
    1. Call to order 11:09 AM ET
    2. Roll Call - The following individuals joined the call: Calvin Beebe, Woody Beeler, Marc Koehn, John Koisch, Lynn Laakso, Ken McCaslin, Charlie McCay, Charlie Mead, Ravi Natarajan, John Quinn, Gregg Seppala, Helen Stevens Love, and Ed Tripp
    3. Accept Agenda - no changes noted
    4. Approve Minutes from concall-20090119 – unanimously approved
    5. Review action items – move to Discussion
  2. (20 min) Standing Committee Reports/Approvals
    1. EA IP Project Update from Marc Koehn
      • Koisch sent out list of ArB projects. Koehn requesting ArB milestones. Need to approve *this milestone. Mead, Koisch and Quinn need to discuss, tie up loose ends around SAEAF prior to Kyoto. NCI implementation is using “Architecture Governance” team to ensure project teams execute their equivalent of SAEAF correctly. Mead suggests one milestone be moving from specification into governance. Quinn says we need to talk about the Technical Plan for remainder of year.
        ACTION ITEM: Koisch will send out a meeting notice.
      • Helen had a question on budget.
        ACTION ITEM: Lynn and Marc are to draft a PSS to include budget by Thursday.
      • Executive Sponsor : Charlie McCay soliciting a volunteer as Executive sponsor for EA IP; none were brought forward; revisit next week.
    2. CEO Report - Executive Committee Report 26Jan09
    3. CTO Report - [1]
    4. ArB Report -
      • Mead reports their focus is to pull together comments on SAEAF and creating some slide decks. Comments received positive feedback. Motivation, BF, Governance & Impacts, Examples, each has slide deck. Finished introduction and is writing paper. Jane is tying up loose ends on conformance/compliance. Gov/Impacts – ArB needs to write something. List of 9 projects identified at ArB meeting. Need to get educational material tied up first.
      • Confirmation of ArB cochair: John Koisch – Moved by Woody, Ed Tripp second; unanimously approved.
    5. Affiliates Report - Ravi noted there had been mail on IHIC papers deadline approaching. He will work with Helen to get better visibility for affiliates.
    6. Domain Experts -
      • Laboratory WG Dissolution Request: tabled from 20090119 - [2]. Sent to the cochairs for review on Jan 20. GOM states TSC Chair shall advise the TSC members of intent to review request for dissolution within thirty days, which has occurred in last week's CC. Issue should be eligible to vote.
        • Lab WG online website content moving must be done by HQ staff, i.e. Mike. Need to modify work group dissolution process to reflect disposition of online content. E.g. O&O committee has to manage the wiki. Mike will need to find out from O&O where their website content would go. Listserv would also need to change; ask the committee members to re-enlist on target listserv. Downstream artifacts, tooling and so on, need to be moved. Staff should create a checklist to have decisions answered by the merging co chairs.
        • ACTION ITEM: Lynn to find out what will need to be done for the merging WG’s content. POSTSCRIPT: Checklist already exists at bottom of Dissolution Request Template.
        • Dissolution request unanimously approved.
      • Project Approval: Healthcare SOA Reference Architecture (H-SOA-RA) and EHR System Design Reference Model (EHR-SD-RM) [3] - tabled from 20090119.
        • Woody asked how does this fit in with SAEAF? This could be perceived as defining a separate SOA Reference Architecture. Not to say there is anything contradictory or off base with SAEAF, but there is confusion. Alignment with SAEAF should be easy but is on shoulders of SOA WG to do so. There needs to be a proper reference architecture underneath SAEAF. Koisch says reference architecture makes assumptions, not contradictory but not clearly aligning EHR functional model and reference architecture and SAEAF. Don’t want people to look at it as a blueprint, as it does have so many assumptions. Woody observes they can’t do the alignment by June 2009. Helen says HL7 investing in SAEAF, need to have this major piece of work in alignment. Mead says dancing around territorial issue, demonstrating an instance of need for architectural governance. Need to align with, not run ahead of, or working outside of, SAEAF/ HL7. Woody thinks this does not describe an appropriate HL7 product at this time.
        • Woody moved to disapprove, as not acceptable in this form. Question was "how shall we phrase the issues raised?" Woody suggested table the motion to next week to craft the motion describing the reasons for rejection properly. Motion withdrawn, discussion tabled. Ravi asked for what type of template should be used for a PSS rejection. Perhaps add section to PSS, use TSC minutes, or craft a separate document.

Time expired, meeting adjourned at 12:00 PM ET.

  1. Remaining agenda items not addressed:
    1. Foundation & Technology -
      • What is the role of the SD liaison to the ArB?
    2. Structure & Semantic Design -
    3. Technical & Support Services -
  2. (30 min) Discussion topics
    1. Review action items
    2. Open Issues List

Future Agenda item list

Click for TSC Action Item List