From HL7 TSC
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC - Technical Steering Committee

Monday, January 19, 2008 11:00 AM (US Eastern Time, GMT -5)
To participate, dial 770-657-9270 and enter pass code 124466#
GoToMeeting at
GoToMeeting ID: 822-618-174 

back to TSC Minutes and Agendas



  • Chair: Charlie McKay
  • CTO: John Quinn
  • Domain Experts: Austin Kreisler (primary), Ed Tripp(alternate)
  • Foundation & Technology: Ioana Singureanu (primary), Woody Beeler (alternate)
  • Structure & Semantic Design: Calvin Beebe (primary), Gregg Seppala (alternate)
  • Technical & Support Services: Ken McCaslin (primary), Helen Stevens Love (alternate)
  • Affiliate: Ravi Natarajan,
  • ARB Chair: Charlie Mead
  • HQ: Karen Van Hentenryck, Lynn Laakso


  • Charles Jaffe (CEO); Ed Hammond (HL7 Chair); Chuck Meyer (HL7 Vice Chair);


Calvin Beebe
Ken McCaslin


  1. Meeting Admin
    1. Roll Call - The following individuals joined the call: Woody Beeler, Marc Koehn, Austin Kreisler, Lynn Laakso, Ravi Natarajan, John Quinn, Helen Stevens Love, Ioana Singureanu, Ed Tripp, and Karen VanHentenryck; noted that it is U.S. holiday.
    2. Accept Agenda - – accepted with following revisions:
      • Add item for review and approval of ArB membership (Charlie) to ArB agenda section
      • Request to have posted the peer review results of of SAEAF (Ioana)
      • Move EA-IP agenda discussion first for Marc
  2. Enterprise Architecture Implementation Plan (EA IP)
    • Addressing issues surfaced in Q3/Q4 session
    • Question whether phase1 activity changed based on feedback from joint session; Marc says not really, that changes were more in what is involved in those activities. Helen worried that it may mean scope creep.
    • Marc also identified that the project must come to terms for what “momentum maintenance” means, and that its definition needs to be documented.
    • It was suggested that we need to involve more people into the ArB discussion; the more people that weigh in, the more that will get behind the new artifact.
    • Top down approach versus outreach activities needed.
    • It was suggested that we need to be more proactive in communications; Weds was a bit Seat-of-the-pants. Ioana feels HL7 communication should be more targeted at eliciting involvement rather than sending out a newsletter, with a volunteer organization. Where we put project materials is under investigation, setting out Kyoto quarter, how to find the information and get involved. Not “corporate marketing communications” but “stakeholder engagement” approach.
    • Marc thanked the group for feedback. We’ll review an updated presentation next week, and have a standing agenda item beginning each meeting.
  3. Meeting admin cont.
    1. Approve Minutes from concall-20081215 - concall-20090105meeting-20090110meeting-20090111meeting-openmic-20090112meeting-20090113meeting-20090114 all unanimously approved
    2. Review action items - none due for this meeting.
  4. (20 min) Standing Committee Reports/Approvals
    1. CEO Report -
    2. CTO Report -
      • John will send request to have peer review of SAEAF posted for review.
      • Just left everyone at WGM; Not much happened over the weekend.
    3. ArB Report -
      • Review and approve ArB membership
        • Patrick Loyd, Dale Nelson, Wendell Ocasio, replacing Nancy Orvis, Ying Jing Bao and Mead Walker; moved by Helen, second by Austin: unanimously approved.
    4. Affiliates Report -
      Ravi discussed definition of the role of the Affiliate TSC Member. Helen said that she and Charlie could work with Ravi on this. Charlie said the due diligence committee is also looking for ways to get the Affiliates’ involvement. Helen said Affiliates’’ Council is looking to bring in engagement with work groups also. Ravi commented that the Affiliates listserv is not very active. Their work at the affiliate level is not necessarily being brought back into the larger Working Group.
      ACTION ITEM: Discussion to be taken offline and a report brought back to the TSC.
    5. Domain Experts -
      • Laboratory WG Dissolution Request: [1] merger of Lab and OO. Needs to go to the cochairs for review.
        ACTION ITEM: Lynn to ensure we follow the GOM process. Austin taking on cochair position to ensure stewardship of lab projects. Table approval for process review.
      • Project Approval: Healthcare SOA Reference Architecture (H-SOA-RA) and EHR System Design Reference Model (EHR-SD-RM) [2]
        Need another week to consider. Ravi asked if projects not yet approved by TSC should have their PSS conform to the new template. New projects initiated going forward must use the new template; if there’s work in progress it can continue using the template that was approved.
    6. Foundation & Technology –
      1. Woody reported that Datatypes responsibility moving from InM to MnM and Grahame Grieve named interim cochair to be ratified in Kyoto. TSC should expect change to WGs respective mission and charter statements.
        ACTION ITEM: Lynn to check the process.
      2. We met last week in a face-to-face meeting. The following is a summary of the major items discussed (in addition to our discussion of
        1. The Security work group has put together a "Security cookbook" to help all projects that need to account for security requirements. The work group asked how do we adopt it across HL7? The cookbook for security threat assessment is intended to help committees evaluate their artifacts. It was suggested that the document be distributed to co-chairs for review. What are the TSC recommendations?
          • Ravi suggested a “self-assessment” rather than “cookbook” terminology.
          • Charlie requested having a proposal to review.
        2. Beverly Knight indicated that an ad-hoc "Glossary project" was initiated by Heather Grain who is active both in ISO members and a co-chair of Vocab work group. This informal project is intended to align glossary items between the two SDOs. Publishing work group is currently managing the glossary but the request for collaboration came to Vocabulary work group. Woody Beeler will work with Beverly and Heather to identify the best way to coordinate and publish the resulting artifacts.
          • This is intended as an FYI to the TSC.
        3. Galen Mulrooney asked that the ArB representatives communicate clearly when they are making a request on behalf of the ArB and when they are simply submitting a personal request.
        4. Ken Rubin asked what is the procedure to extend the trial use period for a DSTU. Charlie McCay that this procedure should be documented in the GOM and it will added if it is not included in the GOM already. Publishing would initiate the removal of an expired DSTU by consulting the work group first.
          • WG having DSTU would also like a periodic review for DSTU expiration to provide notice to affected WG. John noted that if DSTU will be expiring, WG need to start action 9 months to a year prior to expiry to reach new ballot.
          • Ed pointed out that if issues have come up wouldn’t it be a v2 DSTU? Clarified that they just aren’t done yet, not so much that there’s changes.
          • Need to identify what that process would be; e.g. after 2 years, would have an extension ballot.
            ACTION ITEM: Lynn to review process to see if it exists, and suggest addition to GOM if does not exist.
        5. Ken Rubin proposed a RASCI chart to roll out the SAEAF and manage the responsibilities of the various work groups in the steering division. Charlie indicated that the SAEAF is not as fast as expected.
    7. Structure & Semantic Design – no further report
    8. Technical & Support Services - no report
  5. Discussion topics
    • Enterprise Architecture Implementation Plan (EA IP); moved to early agenda
      • JanWGM Postscript: Woody reported that MnM passed a formal motion Monday 1/12 to actively engage in process going forward, assigning Woody and Lloyd McKenzie. Goal long term, project proposal forthcoming, to extend the methodology as documented in cap principles and the artifacts in MIF.
    • Review remaining open issues after WGM - tabled
    • Technology Plan definition
      • discussion between Charlie, John and Lynn to define roles and responsibilities between CTO, TSC Chair and TSC PM, and make a year long plan for the three, as well as plan for WGM to WGM over the next 3 or 4 weeks. Roadmap items need to be articulated into a technical plan at a minimum.

Future Agenda item list

Submit items for discussion at future meetings

Click for TSC Action Item List