TSC - Technical Steering Committee
Monday, November 5th, 2007 11:00 AM (US Eastern Time, GMT -5)
To participate, dial 702-894-2444 and enter pass code 1244667#
GoToMeeting at https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/822618174
GoToMeeting ID: 822-618-174
- Chair: Charlie McCay
- CTO: John Quinn
- Domain Experts: Jim Case (primary), Austin Kreisler (alternate)
- Foundation & Technology: Ioana Singureanu (primary), Woody Beeler (alternate)
- Structure & Semantic Design: Calvin Beebe (primary), Gregg Seppala (alternate)
- Technical & Support Services: Ken McCaslin (primary), Helen Stevens Love (alternate)
- Affiliate: Frank Oemig, Charlie McCay
- ARB Chair:
- HQ: Karen Van Hentenryck
- Charles Jaffe (CE); Chuck Meyer (HL7 Chair); Ed Hammond (HL7 Chair Elect)
- ARB Chair: Charlie Mead
- (10 min) Meeting Admin
- Roll Call - Charlie McCay, John Quinn, Ken McCaslin, Ioana Singureanu, Jim Case, Calvin Beebe, Austin Kreisler and Karen Van Hentenryck were in attendance.
- Accept Agenda - Jane Foard’s publishing issues were suggested as an addition to today's agenda. The Project initiation process needs discussion/clarification either today or on a future call. With these changes, the agenda was accepted.
- Approve Minutes ConCall-20071029 - MOTION by Kriesler; seconded by Case: To approve the minutes as printed. Motion passed unanimously.
- Approve Minutes ConCall-20071022 - MOTION by McCaslin; seconded by Quinn: To approve the minutes as printed. Motion passed unanimously.
- Approve Minutes ConCall-20071015 - MOTION by Case, seconded by McCaslin: To accept the minutes as printed. Motion passed unanimously.
- Approve Minutes ConCall-20071008 - MOTION by Kreisler; seconded by McCaslin: To accept minutes as printed. Motion passed unanimously.
- Quorum and process for minutes approval## - McCay expressed concern regarding the groups' difficulty reaching quorum on recent calls. McCay suggests that TSC members review the minutes when they are available, with comments/corrections being posted to the list. If you cannot participate in the upcoming call, please let the TSC members know if you've reviewed the minutes and support them, so they can be approved in a timely manner
- (10 min) Standing Committee Reports
- CEO Report - Jaffe was not on the call
- CTO Report - Quinn reported on the following items:
- Progress regarding the ARB - The final slate will be worked out with input from Charlie Mead when he returns from vacation.
- Publication problems – Quinn has reviewed the issues with Jane Foard. The biggest issue appears to be with deprecated events. Quinn suggested a proposed policy that essentially conveys that the organization does not support deprecated events and if someone wishes to use them, they should refer to earlier versions of the standard where they are supported. The publishing committee supports Quinn’s policy, but Frank Oemig has raised some objections. The publishing committee is hashing out the details with Frank and the other editors. ACTION ITEM: When 2.6 is finalized, it will be loaded to the web site and its availability announced to the membership.
- Stakeholder meeting - Quinn reported that he attended the stakeholders meeting last week at the Cleveland Clinic with Jaffe, Hammond, McDougall and Van Hentenryck. The stakeholders were asked to provide their thoughts on what problems HL7 could solve for them; what polices we must change and should adopt, etc,; and what our strategic direction should be for the next 5 years. We received a general comment from many of these stakeholders that they were much more educated about HL7 as a result of this meeting and that they would be more supportive of the organization moving forward.
- Tools initiative- Quinn reported that he spoke with Jane Curry last week regarding the tooling initiative. Quinn will attend some of the tooling meetings next week in Toronto. The goal is to understand the OHT and their major stakeholders. This group is focused on developing tools for internal development and for development of Implementation Guides.
- McCaslin's Appeal on Implementation guide for V2.5.1 – McCaslin reported that three weeks ago at HITSP panel meeting, there was a gathering of several people interested in resolving this issue. All agreed that the UCUM standard would be a pilot, and they further agreed that the suggested resolution would be to change the wording in the IG document from UCUM is required to UCUM is recommended. Quinn suggested that we make this change and propose it back to the committee. Kreisler noted that this would be a substantive change that would require another ballot. This isue will be taken up off line. If others on the call have ideas on how we can deal with this issue, let Quinn and others know.
- ARB report - Charlie Mead was not on the call.
- Affiliates Report - Frank Oemig was not on the call.
- Domain Experts - Jim Case reported that the steering division convened its first call. Issues around ARB were discussed and they are seeking to find a domain experts representative to nominate for this position on ARB. He asked if there is a description of ARB responsibilities that can be shared with those who are interested. ACTION ITEM: Van Hentenryck will distribute a notice to all co-chairs to communicate that the ARB is in process of reforming, that C Mead will chair the group, that the focus of the ARB will be assuming responsibiity for managing HL7's architecture. Time requirements will likely be an hour/week. Those who are interested can contact Quinn until Charlie Mead returns. Other issues that emerged from the steering division call are: (1) that there there is confusion as to the exact process for moving projects forward through he publishing calendar(capture this as an issue; and (2) we need P&P regarding DSTUs and the relationship between DSTU progression and normative standards. Quinn explained the current DSTU process. There are some ballot items such as DAMs, etc. which don’t make sense to publish a DSTUs. The Ballot lifecycle also needs some work.
- Foundation & Technology - Singureanu reported that they did not reach quorum on their steering division call. She noted that there is a great deal of confusion around the current project lifecycle and suggested that we provide a review and/or education on the process. She also feels that additional discussion would help clarify some of the confusing issues. She's heard that project initiative/approval is going to be simpler than its been in the past. She suggests that we set time aside to discuss this at the WGM, on conference calls, etc. This will be taken offline and progressed. Regarding tooling, Singureanu reported that they have gotten free enterprise architect licenses from Spark systems for their UML tool. HL7 might try to get some free licenses from IBM. Quinn noted that part of the tooling initiative is to try to get the IBM piece for free.
- Structure & Semanic Design - Beebe reported that this steering division met and they have a number of project scope documents being reviewed the group.
- Technical & Support Services - McCaslin reported that this steering division did not have a meeting this week. But he reached out to MnM and ARB to ensure that as he is forming mission/charter that he is including the appropriate items. ACTION ITEM: Mccaslin will review this mission/scope with the steering division and review it with the TSC on the next call
- (5 mins) The SOA TC charter - MOTION by McCaslin; seconded by Kreisler: To approve the SOA TC charter. Motion approved unanimously.
- (15 min) issue review and processing - McCay reported that we are getting a Gforge tracker established. The account information has been sent to Wilfred Bonney (staff) who is setting up the project. The hope is that the project can be in place next week. ACTION ITEM: McCaslin will contact W.Bonney to get the date when the project will be established on GForge and publish it to the TSC admin list.
- Status of gForge Implementation - As noted above, Singureanu has asked W.Bonney to set up a project.
- tsc issue review process
- looking at current issues - ACTION ITEM: Quinn to distribute a summary of the Jane Foard publishing issues out to the TSCadmin list
Call adjourned at 12:01 pm ET.