From HL7 TSC
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC - Technical Steering Committee

Monday, October 8, 2007 11:00 AM (US Eastern Time, GMT -5)

To participate, dial 702-894-2444 and enter pass code 1244667#


  • Charlie McCay (Chair)
  • Domain Experts: Jim Case (primary), Austin Kreisler (alternate)
  • Foundation & Technology: Woody Beeler (alternate)
  • Structure & Semantic Design: Calvin Beebe (primary)
  • Technical & Support Services: Ken McCaslin
  • Charles Jaffe (CEO); Karen Van Hentenryck


John Quinn (CTO), Ed Hammond


  1. (05 min) Roll Call and agenda review - Charlie McCay called the meeting to order and quourm was established. Beeler noted that the Foundation & Technology SD received a request to advance SOA to a TC; Van Hentenryck noted that Clinical Guidelines wishes to disband.
  2. (05 min) Approve Oct 1, 2007 minutes - MOTION by Beeler: To approve the minutes as distributed; seconded by McCaslin. Motion passed unanimously.
  3. (05 min) Review TSC Mission/charter - The group reviewed the mission/charter. There was some discomfort with the word "element;" the word will be changed to "component." Composition portion is fine, with the exception that the Board Liaison no longer exists and should be deleted from this section. In the Work Products and Contributions section, Beebe questioned the top down vs bottom up management, and seeks to find a balance in the wording. Jaffe asked what the wording was intended to convey. Beeler responded that the intent was the TSC will balance what the Board wishes to accomplish with what the individual members wish to accomplish. The TSC needs to influence both ways to ensure coherence. Jaffe suggested that a statement be added to this portion of the mission/charter to convey that the TSC will balance the requirements of the Board and the initiatives of the membership. Beeler suggested that the section be re-worded or that a new section be added to convey that. ACTION ITEM - Beebe to re-word the section and send the update to the list. The TSC may ask D. Hamill and/or D. Lloyd to participate on the calls as needed.
  4. (15 min) Review Communications Plan - The opening paragraphs of the communications plan will be deleted as they were specific to the T3F. Jim Case observed the need to communicate the TSC plan to the membership. Processes need to be established to create and disband SIGs/TCs. Communication can either come in directly from the members to the TSC or they can flow from the members to the SIG/TC to the SD and then to the TSC. Members can bypass the SD if they aren't getting timely responses. There was agreement atht the communications to the TSC through PIC would be removed and replaced by a paragraph indicating that the steering divisions are the primary source of communication to the TSC. TSC agendas will be maintained on the wiki; it would be nice to have the meeting minutes there as well. The TSC will determine what will be maintained on the wiki vs what is maintained on the web site. The new TSC needs a page on the current web site.
  5. (10 min) Review Decision Making Practices- The group reviewed the DMPs and agreed to strike the second sentence of section 6. Attention was drawn to the quorum section of the document, although no changes were suggested. The Proxy section was discussed, with no changes made. MOTION by Beeler: That the TSC adopt the DMPs with the change agreed to above; seconded by McCaslin. Motion passed unanimously.
  6. (15 min) Standing Committee Reports
    • CEO Report - The CEO report was distributed earlier in the day. No issues/questions were raised.
    • CTO Report - John Quinn was not on the all and no report was provided.
    • Affiliates Report - No report was brought forward.
    • Domain Experts - Jim Case reported that this SD has not yet met. They do have one item to discuss related to joint projects within pharmacy.
    • Foundation & Technology - Woody Beeler reported that their division accepted a proposal that SOA be promoted to a TC with minor changes to their mission/charter.
    • Structure & Semanic Design - Calvin Beebe reported that this SD has not yet met.
    • Technical & Support Services - Ken McCaslin reported his group has not met; their first meeting is scheduled for this Thursday, Oct 11. PIC has asked to remain a part of their steering division. There was some discussion around PIC being retained as a Board appointed committee and participating in the Technical and Support Services SD and the confusion that might cause.
    • ARB report – McCalin noted that the ARB report indicates they want a representative from each of the SDs and he’s not sure why. The role of the ARB does need to be clarified. This was assigned to John Quinn and will be discussed on next week’s call.
  7. (5 min) Review of Administrative issues/Action Items- Items agreed to for discussion next week:
    • Review of updated mission/charter - Beebe
    • Role of ARB -Quinn
    • Issues Management - Van Hentenryck

Motion by Case at 12:07 to adjourn

Agenda item list (our sand box for future meetings)

Click for TSC Action Item List