From HL7 TSC
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC - Technical Steering Committee

Monday, October 15, 2007 11:00 AM (US Eastern Time, GMT -5)

To participate, dial 702-894-2444 and enter pass code 1244667#

GoToMeeting at

GoToMeeting ID: 822-618-174



  • Charlie McCay (Chair)
  • John Quinn (CTO)
  • Domain Experts: Austin Kreisler (alternate)
  • Foundation & Technology:
  • Structure & Semantic Design: Gregg Seppala (alternate)
  • Technical & Support Services: Ken McCaslin (primary)
  • Affiliate: Frank Oemig
  • Karen Van Hentenryck


  • Foundation & Technology:Ioana Singureanu (primary)
  • Chuck Jaffe (CEO)


  1. (10 min) Meeting Admin
    1. Roll Call - See attendees list above.
    2. Accept Agenda - No modifications to the agenda were suggested.
    3. Approve Minutes ConCall-20071015 - Tabled to 10/29/2007
    4. Approve Minutes ConCall-20071008 - Table to 10/29/2007
  2. (15 min) Standing Committee Reports
    1. CEO Report - Charles Jaffe provided a CEO report the previous week and no updates to that report were provided
    2. CTO Report - Quinn reported that he just returned from a two-week absence from the office and has a number of items to address in the next several days. McCaslin asked whether Quinn had had an opportunity to address the issue with the V2.5.1 ELINCS guide. Quinn will make that one of the first items of business over the next few days.
    3. Affiliates Report - Oemig indicated that there was nothing to report from the affiliates' perspective.
    4. Domain Experts - Kreisler reported that this steering division is still trying to organize their first call. Given the size of their group and the fact that several co-chairs live outside the US, they've found it challenging to find a time that is relatively convenient for most participants.
    5. Foundation & Technology - Neither Singureanu nor Beeler were on the call and thus no report was provided.
    6. Structure & Semanic Design - Seppala indicated that there was nothing to report from their steering division.
    7. Technical & Support Services - McCaslin reported that their group has not met since the WGM. He has received very little feedback on the web site migration worksheet he distributed last week and will redistribute that in the next few days.
  3. (5 mins) The SOA TC charter - Even though a representative from the Foundation & Technology steering division was not on the call, the group discussed the proposed changes to the group's mission/charter. Kreisler reported that he did a file compare between the old and updated mission/charter and noted that the relationship with Eclipse has disappeared from the updated mission/charter. ACTION ITEM: Quinn will contact Ken Rubin, co-chair of the SOA group, to determine whether this omission was intentional. Other than that question, the TSC is comfortable with the updated mission/charter and will entertain a motion to approve on next week's call. Until the updated bylaws are approved, the missions/charters require approval by the Board.
  4. (15 min) ARB composition and role - Quinn directed individuals to the slide deck that he distributed earlier: This slide deck was based on conversations between Quinn, Hammond and Mead Walker, the current ARB chair. The items in red represent the modifications made by Quinn and include making the ARB the keeper of the "goal" architecture. The ARB should monitor the organization in terms of where we are with the goal architecture vs where we want to be. Quinn and Hammond feel strongly that the ARB should be appointed by the CTO/TSC. The current plan is that the ARB will fall under the purview of the TSC rather than the Board. In his role as CTO, Quinn will make recommendations on who will fill each of the seats on the ARB, with the TSC ratifiying these recommendations. Quinn/Hammond recommend the following composition:
    • ARB Chair (1)
    • V2 messaging representative (1)
    • V3 messaging representative (1)
    • CDA representative (1)
    • SOA representative (1)
    • Vocabulary representative (1)
    • one representative from each of the four steering divisions (4)
    • CTO (ex officio - voting) (1)
    • Director of PMO (ex officio - non-voting) (1)
    • Associate Executive Director (ex officio - non-voting) (1)

Concern was raised regarding a single ARB chair as that stymies progress when that chair is not able to attend/participate. Quinn suggested two possible solutions: (1) the ARB elects a co-chair from among its voting members, or; (2) the CTO assumes the role of ARB chair in that person's absence. The second solution was preferred by those on the call. ACTION ITEM:Quinn will update the slide deck based on today's conversation and redistribute to the ARB for further discussion on next week's call. Quinn also noted that he'd spoken with Mead Walker regarding the role of chair. Given Walker's other commitments, both he and Quinn feel it would be benficial to find someone else who can assume this role, although Walker should be seated as one of the ARB members. MOTION by McCaslin: That Quinn formally approach Charlie Mead about assuming the role of ARB chair; seconded by Quinn. The motion passed unanimously. ACTION ITEM: Steering Division co-chairs should make recommendations to Quinn on filling the ARB seat from their steering division.

  1. (15 min) issue review and processing - McCay
    1. tsc issue review process-
      1. issue tracking with version control -
      2. issues must include a recommendation -
      3. Authority of the CTO / Chair of the TSC to close issues
    2. looking at current issues
      1. issue 15 McCay recapped the issue regarding the RBAC ballot. There are four negative votes and they are one vote shy of the required 90% affirmative vote. While our bylaws indicate that we can dispense with "not related" and "not persuasive" vote by a 2/3 affirmative vote of the ballot pool, dispensing with the "not persuasive" votes in this manner is not in keeping with ANSI Essential Requirements (ER), and this is an instance where our bylaws, policies and procedures, and ANSI ER are out of synch. Since the negative voters are requesting that additional information be added to the ballot document, the TSC recommends that the committee find these votes "not related." They will then be treated as negative votes without comment and reported to ANSI as such, but don't impede the progress of the ballot and don't require a recirculation ballot. The issues raised in these negative votes should be treated as proposals for additions to the standard in future releases. Seppala suggested that a third party engage in the discussions with the negative voters/committee co-chairs to explain why these votes are out of scope, how they might be resolved in future versions, and limitations to dealing with the issue in the future. The steering division co-chairs should begin these discussions. ACTION ITEM: Charlie McCay will follow up Singureanu regarding next steps as she is the primary representative from that steering division.
      2. issues list:
  2. (5 min) Other Business Seppala asked about the Implementation Note that was drafted a few weeks ago. There are several list serve discussions taking place relative to the Implementation Note. Van Hentenryck reported that the PA co-chairs crafted the language for the original Implementation Note and that Joann Larson has submitted alternate language. ACTION ITEM: Van Hentenryck will distribute the updated wording to the TSC list for review.

McCaslin raised the need to discuss the transition from the Products & Services task force to the project services committee. ACTION ITEM: McCaslin will draft a mission/charter for the project services committee and bring it forward to the TSC next week for review. Oemig asked about the V2.6 issues sent along by Jane Foard. Quinn has made recommendations back to Foard relative to her issues. The TSC has agreed that, at least until the new bylaws are adopted, Quinn will continue to make the decisions that fell to him as TSC chair. Regarding the particular issues surfaced by Foard, Quinn is not as concerned by the issues themselves as he is with the underlying systems issue of our database process being insufficient. Support for deprecated messages is an issue. ACTION ITEM: Quinn will craft a proposal for dealing with deprecating messages. In the meantime, Quinn will make a ruling on this particular issues as it is ciritical to getting V2.6 published. McCay would like to discuss the possibility of increasing the length of the TSC calls.

Call adjourned at 12:21 pm ET.

Agenda item list (our sand box for future meetings)

Click for TSC Action Item List