2010-02-01 TSC Call Minutes

From HL7 TSC
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC - Technical Steering Committee

Monday, February 1, 2010 11:00 AM (US Eastern Time, UTC -5)
To participate, dial 770-657-9270 and enter pass code 124466#
GoToMeeting at https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/165215206
GoToMeeting ID: 165-215-206

back to TSC Minutes and Agendas



Meeting Admin

Meeting Attendance - :

At Name Affiliation Email Address
x Calvin Beebe HL7 SSD SD cbeebe@mayo.edu
x Woody Beeler HL7 FTSD woody@beelers.com
x Dob Dolin HL7 Chair bobdolin@gmail.com
Marc Koehn invited Guest, HL7 EA IP PM marc.koehn@gpinformatics.com
x Austin Kreisler HL7 DESD austin.j.kreisler@saic.com
x Lynn Laakso (scribe, non-voting) HL7 HQ lynn@hl7.org
x Ken McCaslin HL7 TSS SD Kenneth.H.McCaslin@QuestDiagnostics.com
x Charlie McCay (chair) HL7 TSC Chair charlie@ramseysystems.co.uk
x Charlie Mead HL7 ArB Charlie.mead@booz.com
x Ravi Natarajan HL7 Affiliate Ravi.Natarajan@nhs.net
Ron Parker HL7 ArB Alternate rparker@infoway-inforoute.ca
x John Quinn HL7 CTO jquinn@hl7.org
x Gregg Seppala HL7 SSD SD Alternate gregg.seppala@va.gov
x Helen Stevens HL7 TSS SD Alternate helen.stevens@shaw.ca
x Ed Tripp HL7 DESD Alternate Edward.tripp@estripp.com
x D. Mead Walker HL7 FTSD Alternate dmead@comcast.net
  1. Accept Agenda – accepted by general consent; Woody asked about a FTSD project coming up next week.
  2. Approve Minutes from
  3. Review action items
    • Lynn to update feedback for Roadmap Task Force from TSC discussion: see link - are there edits or corrections? Noted.
    • GOM suggestion to change SD representatives to co-chairs, see suggestion form at TSC Tracker # 1420; Helen reviewed the changes. Austin notes is the correct reference to the change in The tie vote decision by drawing lots was restored to the recommendation. Helen suggests that the four alternates run for election in 2010 and the four current representatives would hold (in the case of two reps, extend) their positions until September 2011. Helen’s moves to accept the proposal, Ken seconded. It is hoped that the GOM revisions will be implemented prior to the conclusion of the Rio WGM. Lynn will check to see what the timing of that process will be. Unanimously approved. Helen will write up an implementation strategy with Lynn with a straw poll for TSC preferences. Alternates all run for election this year, extending primary to 2011; draw lots; each SD agree upon a volunteer; or everyone up for election with one or two year terms. Charlie McCay suggests a Doodle poll be used.
    • Schedule Review of Communications Plan, Technology Plan, Decision Making Practices, TSC SWOT and Three-Year Plan, ISO/CEN/HL7 tracking wiki. Make an action for agenda planning calls on Friday.
    • Schedule review of Strategic Initiatives # 4-6 SMART objectives for Friday agenda planning.
    • Innovations Workshop scheduling – confirmation. Ed Tripp and Ken Lunn agreed to Thursday Q1 and Q2. Q1 will review innovation proposals and Q2 will discuss process going forward.

Standing Committee Reports/Approvals

  1. CEO Report – none available
  2. CTO Report - John reports last Monday he attended what may be the final HITSP meeting, which may be suspended. Most of the people had been in Phoenix. John elaborated on some of Halamka’s statements, and received encouragement to develop Green CDA. He noted that other countries have implemented V3 with far less discussion than the proposals for the U.S.
  3. ArB Report – Charlie reports that leading up to Phoenix he gave six SAEAF overviews to FHA folks; one issue was Zackman, TOGAF, other architectures. Charlie had to explain that SAEAF was an interoperability framework as an adjunct to an enterprise architecture framework. In Phoenix they noted that some clarification is needed. Andy suggested SAIF, services aware interoperability framework – can continue to pronounce it the same. Interoperability aspects that come from services awareness are significant though the TSC did not want S-A in the title. Ravi asks if this is a significant change to how we think about it, and Charlie M says no, it is name change only. Mead thinks the ArB should be allowed to change its name. Woody noted that the S-A was originally resisted as it was thought we were moving away from messages and documents but that’s not really as much concern now that awareness of its efforts is more broad. Noted that the ArB should be allowed to name the framework whatever they want but as a matter of courtesy will run proposed changes past the TSC. Ed notes we should be proactive on the name change. Lynn suggests an article for the HL7 News. Charlie McCay notes that ArB needs a communication plan in general as accepted in Phoenix.
    • SAIF book chapters on Information Framework will have a draft ready by end of February with Cecil and Jane working on rehab of Governance Framework perhaps by next week. BF still needs folding in last round of comments and graphics and Charlie hopes by end of week. ECCF has gone to final version. Karen waiting for GF, BF, IF; goal is to get her materials by end of February. Mead asks what the procedure is for peer review comment? That is Charlie’s next report item.
    • Request in Phoenix that the SAIF book undergo peer review; Ron has agreed to manage the process. Ron hoped the TSC would assume responsibility for shepherding the peer review to mitigate appearance that ArB doing their own peer review. Question is how to manage bandwidth to integrate reviewed changes. Looking at re-constituting harmonization process for SAIF review. What do they need to do to get that process initiated? Charlie McCay asks for a proposal. Woody asks what is a sample proposal that would be harmonized? Charlie Mead asks to discuss again in two weeks. EA IP might be the one to manage the review process.
    • OO Composite Order alpha project charter – has it been approved by ArB? Charlie Mead will send Patrick an email.
  4. Affiliates Report – no report
  5. Domain Experts –
    • Request to approve revised project scope statement for the Patient Care DCM Project TSC Tracker # 890, Project Insight ID 320. Helen has concerns on the co-sponsoring groups being heavy but light on the actual project team. She thinks JKB is not adequately engaged. She would like to see the members of the project team supporting the engagement of the cosponsoring groups. Austin discussed that the conceptual level of the work is not necessarily RIM-based modeling. Woody notes that Kevin Coonan had been doing the modeling. Charlie McCay was worried that MnM was not represented. Jean Duteau per Helen notes that he was not aware of any responsibilities other than as Patient Care modeling facilitator. Woody notes we could approve but note that we have continuing concerns, to provide some positive feedback. Austin notes we have already given them a level of scrutiny not afforded most projects the TSC sees. Due to time restrictions Charlie McCay suggests we table to next call.
  6. Foundation & Technology –
    • Out of Cycle Meeting Request - RIMBAA; see TSC Tracker # 1401. Are their meeting materials and minutes being brought back to the HL7 organizational archives, Helen asks? Helen moves to approve with that request, Woody seconds - Unanimously approved. Ed notes they have minutes posted for their OOC in October.

Carry forward remaining agenda items to next week; adjourned 12:04 pm.

  1. Structure & Semantic Design –
  2. Technical & Support Services -

Discussion topics

  • Listserv issue with old postings being re-sent - tracking at HL7 Listserv tracker # 1416.

Open Issues List

  • TSC Tracker # 323, Determine/recommend the tools across the organization: Helen recommended a "TSC Top 5" priority list for requests for staff or financial help.
  • TSC Tracker # 749, Review the Role of the Steering Divisions - at WGM approved draft document for reviw by Steering Divisions; what is the Steering Division feedback from their Monday night meetings?
  • TSC Tracker 1364 Foster development of Product Strategy - review updated product structure at Product List FAQ and diagrams

Future Agenda item list

Click for TSC Action Item List