From HL7 TSC
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC - Technical Steering Committee

Monday, February 23, 2009 11:00 AM (US Eastern Time, GMT -5)
To participate, dial 770-657-9270 and enter pass code 124466#
GoToMeeting at
GoToMeeting ID: 165-215-206 

back to TSC Minutes and Agendas



  • Chair: Charlie McCay
  • CTO: John Quinn
  • Domain Experts: Austin Kreisler (primary), Ed Tripp (alternate)
  • Foundation & Technology: Ioana Singureanu (primary), Woody Beeler (alternate)
  • Structure & Semantic Design: Calvin Beebe (primary), Gregg Seppala (alternate)
  • Technical & Support Services: Ken McCaslin (primary), Helen Stevens Love (alternate)
  • Affiliate: Ravi Natarajan
  • ARB Chair: Charlie Mead
  • HQ: Karen Van Hentenryck, Lynn Laakso


  • Charles Jaffe (CEO)
  • Ed Hammond (HL7 Chair); Bob Dolin (HL7 Vice Chair)
  • Marc Koehn (EA IP)


  • Calvin Beebe
  • Austin Kreisler


  1. (5 min) Meeting Admin
    1. Roll Call - The following individuals joined the call: Woody Beeler, John Koisch, Lynn Laakso, Ken McCaslin, Charlie McCay, John Quinn, Gregg Seppala, Ioana Singureanu, Helen Stevens Love, and Ed Tripp
    2. Accept Agenda – no changes noted
    3. Approve Minutes from concall-20090216 – unanimously approvedl
    4. Review action items
      • Review draft wording for DSTU extension from GOC (listserv email 2/16/2009)
        GOM revision: need to identify when the revision to the GOM for DSTU extension is available to specifically direct wg on how to proceed with extension, what is required.
  2. (20 min) Standing Committee Reports/Approvals
    1. CEO Report – no report
    2. CTO Report - [1]
      • Basically informative, major issue that we need a Secretary of HHS. Ravi notes this is US Realm issue.
      • EA IP Update – Marc report next week. EA IP Advisory Council first conference call is this week.
    3. ArB Report – John noted work on finalizing SAEAF and BF, working with Marc on EA IP alpha projects and invited him to the ArB call this week.
    4. Affiliates Report – lack of response to inquiry. Nothing to report.
    5. Domain Experts -
      • Motion for Project Approval: PHER - Version 2.5.1 Implementation Guide for Immunization Messaging. [2]
        • It was not noted on PSS that this is US Realm. Ed's motion modified to Approve, subject to update of PSS to indicate US Realm; second by Ravi. Unanimously approved.
      • Motion for Project Approval: RCRIM - Project Scope-aECG Reaffirmation [3] Ed moved, Ken seconded; unanimously approved. Noted that more of these are coming as re-affirmations after 5 years as ANSI standard.
    6. Foundation & Technology – did not meet, but sent email to ask for nominations for ArB.
    7. Structure & Semantic Design – no report
    8. Technical & Support Services - held a conf call but had no quorum.
      • question on Editorial Review committee? From Oct1, 2007 TSC minutes, SD reps to Tech Editor Advisory Group included Virginia Lorenzi and Dick Harding from TSS, Jim Case for DESD, Keith Boone and Savithri Devaraj for SSD, and Ioana for FTSD.
      • What is the Technical Editor advisory group? Do they know about their assignment? Jay asked for it… he should be aware. John Quinn, Bob Dolin and Stan review their work; Karen handles paperwork. John will talk to Karen when she gets back.
  3. (30 min) Discussion topics
    1. Outstanding motions from e-vote:
      • 7. Approve revisions to TSC Communications Plan
        • Move to approve; Ken abstain; not comfortable with anonymous feedback mechanism. Motion carries with 6 affirming, no negative, one abstention. Charlie notes we will monitor incoming comments to see what occurs.
      • 8. Project Approval: revised scope statement to transfer Datatypes responsibility from InM to MnM [4]. Discussion: this has been coming a long time. InM and MnM are both comfortable with it. Graham has been elected cochair to represent. Unanimously approved.
      • 11. Recommend policy to Board on tooling vendor demonstrations [5]
        • Discussion: issue with title of 01.05 ‘’engaging the membership in business decisions’’. Paragraph is only about reviewing vendor products – title is incomplete from that perspective. This section needs to address all aspects of this engagement.
        • Sometimes products are demonstrated for HL7 business decisions, but more often projects bring in use case examples that demonstrate a product. This is not adequately addressed. Need section on products as use cases versus business decision. Woody indicates that the informal unwritten rule is that HL7 does not demonstrate products as we’re not a trade show but a working group. This does not solve the problem. Members do want to see product demonstrations but need to be clear.
        • Needs more wordsmithing done. Helen to receive suggestions from others and draft some copy.
    2. Priorities of TSC Internal Projects – tabled to next week.
    3. Open Issues List

Future Agenda item list

Click for TSC Action Item List