From HL7 TSC
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC - Technical Steering Committee

Monday, April 21st, 2008 11:00 AM (US Eastern Time, GMT -5)
To participate, dial 770-657-9270 and enter pass code 124466#
GoToMeeting at
GoToMeeting ID: 822-618-174 

back to TSC Minutes and Agendas



  • CTO: John Quinn
  • Domain Experts: Jim Case (primary), Austin Kreisler (alternate)
  • Foundation & Technology: Ioana Singureanu (primary), Woody Beeler (alternate)
  • Structure & Semantic Design: Calvin Beebe (primary), Gregg Seppala (alternate)
  • Technical & Support Services: Ken McCaslin (primary), Helen Stevens Love (alternate)
  • Affiliate: Frank Oemig,
  • ARB Chair: Charlie Mead
  • HQ: Karen Van Hentenryck


  • Charles Jaffe (CEO); Ed Hammond (HL7 Chair); Chuck Meyer (HL7 Vice Chair)


  • Charlie Mead
  • Calvin Beebe
  • Ioana Singureanu


  1. (5 min) Meeting Admin
    1. Roll Call - The following individuals participated on the call: Charlie McCay, Ken McCaslin, Jim Case, Gregg Seppala, Chuck Meyer, Austin Kreisler, Frank Oemig; Ioana Singureanu, John Quinn, Woody Beeler, Helen Stevens Love, Gregg Seppala and Karen Van Hentenryck
    2. Accept Agenda - Agenda was accepted
    3. Approve Minutes from concall-20080407 - We did not achieve quorum last week. Notes from the informal discussion are available at concall-20080414. MOTION by McCaslin to approve minutes for 0407. Seconded by Case. Motion passed unanimously. Notes from April 14 are included by reference to 0407 minutes and were approved.
  2. (20 min) Standing Committee Reports/Approvals
    1. CEO Report - No report was provided.
    2. CTO Report - [1]. Quinn distributed the report via email. He noted that the VA has funding to support someone half-time at HITSP.
    3. ARB report - Charlie McCay was not on the call but he submitted a brief report via email indicating that the ArB is on track for completing each of our four projects and giving deliverables to TSC in Phoenix: (1) Ballot QA recommendations, (2) Requirements for development of Dynamic Framework (3) Requirements for BoD issuing an RFP for development of an HL7 Business Architecture Model, and (4) ArB mission/vision intersected with re-organization recommendations.
    4. Affiliates Report - Nothing to report
    5. Domain Experts -
      • Project Approval: MOTION by SD: To approve the Regulated Product Submission, Release 2 project [2]. There was no discussion; the project was unanimously approved.
      • Project Approval: MOTION by SD: To approve the Drug Stability Reporting project [3]There was no discussion; the project was unanimously approved. Case asked that the TSC address the status of new project template and whether to require it moving forward. MOTION by McCaslin: That the new template be mandatory, beginning with the May WGM; Seconded by Case. No discussion. Motion passed unanimously.
    6. Foundation & Technology - Singureanu reported they did not have a call last week, no quorum the week before and did not achieve quorum the week before. Quinn asked about the Normative Edition. Beeler reported that work is moving forward and he hopes to have an electronic version ready in the next few weeks.
    7. Structure & Semantic Design -
      • Project Approval: Motion by SD: To approve the Behavioral Health Profile project [4]. Stevens Love noted that this project statment uses the old template and thus much needed information is missing. There was a suggestion that the project be approved based on the scope but require that the missing information be supplied before PMO approval. Kreisler commented that the project appears to be US realm only. Case noted that this is one of the reasons for reformatting it as the new template provides a field for indication of US realm projects. REgardless, the TSC still reviews US realm projects. Seppala offered to take the project back to the submitting work group for the missing information and it will be resubmitted to the TSC for approval once that information is supplied. There is also concern about how this project will be managed based on the information provided (lack of information). ACTION ITEM; Seppala will take the project back.
    8. Technical & Support Services - nothing to report
  3. (30 min) Discussion topics
    1. Signing up for May Co-chair Elections – Karen Van asked the TSC members to review the schedule of co-chair electiions and sign up to proctor those elections if they are available. Meyer also noted that this is likely the last time that co-chair elections will be conducted in the manner. There is a GOM change in the works that will allow for a one-day elections period during the WGM. [5] - Would like to have TSC members proctor the elections as we did last WGM
    2. Rational Rose Licenses from IBM and Distribution Criteria – Charlie McCay reported that IBM has offered HL7 5 licenses for Rational Modeler (Eclipse) and indicated they will provide more than 5, maybe up to 30. We need a process to manage and distribute these licenses. The problem in the long run is that this may be bad news for OHT. From IBM’s perspective, this is likely to be viewed as an in-kind contribution. Criteria might be to have the tooling committee oversee it. Each committee doing a DAM might want a copy of this tool. Decision: HQ will work with the Tooling committee to define the criteria for distribution.
    3. Finalize Agenda for Sat-Sun TSC Meeting at May WGM, and agree preparatory work to be done May 2008 WGMSome committee may need to change their mission/charter statements. Some committee may have governance issues and the SIGs are used to running most decisions by the parent TC. We may need to insert some rules for this. Now the collaborative relationships are noted in the project scope statements which is less formal. TSC resource plan will be a substantial discussion. It will be looking at technical plan document that came out of the Roadmap project and the budget and working out how the TSC sets its annual objects and makes budgetary decisions. A draft of the technical documents should be sent to the TSC listserv prior to the May WGM. No additional issues were suggested for discussion.
    4. Monday evening agenda – Charlie to do a short presentation on Monday morning on what TSC is doing and introduce current state of balloting rules. Follow up will occur Monday evening. Beeler suggested a general call to the co-chairs for items they wish to discuss Monday evening. ACTION ITEM: Van Hentenryck will solicit topics from the co-chairs this week for discussion on next week's TSC call.

Call adjourned at 11:56 am ET

Agenda item list (our sand box for future meetings)

Click for TSC Action Item List