From HL7 TSC
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC - Technical Steering Committee

Monday, January 7th, 2008 11:00 AM (US Eastern Time, GMT -5)
To participate, dial 702-894-2444 and enter pass code 1244667#
GoToMeeting at
GoToMeeting ID: 822-618-174 

back to TSC Minutes and Agendas



  • Chair: Charlie McCay
  • CTO: John Quinn
  • Domain Experts: Jim Case (primary), Austin Kreisler (alternate)
  • Foundation & Technology: Ioana Singureanu (primary), Woody Beeler (alternate)
  • Structure & Semantic Design: Calvin Beebe (primary), Gregg Seppala (alternate)
  • Technical & Support Services: Ken McCaslin (primary), Helen Stevens Love (alternate)
  • Affiliate: Frank Oemig, Charlie McCay
  • ARB Chair: Charlie Mead
  • HQ: Karen Van Hentenryck


  • Charles Jaffe (CEO); Ed Hammond (HL7 Chair); Chuck Meyer (HL7 Vice Chair)




  1. (10 min) Meeting Admin
    1. Roll Call - Quorum was established with the following participants in attendance: John Quinn, Charlie Mead, Karen Van Hentenryck, Austin Kreisler, Gregg Seppala, Charlie McCay, Charles Jaffe, Ken McCaslin, Jim Case, Woody Beeler, Frank Oemig.
    2. Accept Agenda - Beeler asked to add a brief discussion of whether the TSC rather than the Board should host the schema discussion raised by Heitmann for the Jan 15 Board meeting. With that change, the agenda was approved.
    3. Approve Minutes Concall-20071210 - McCaslin reported that he sent along a few minor edits to the Dec 10, 2007 TSC meeting minutes this morning. MOTION by McCaslin: To approve the minutes as corrected; seconded by Beeler. Motion passed unanimously
  2. (10 min) Standing Committee Reports
    1. CEO Report - Nothing to report.
    2. CTO Report - Quinn reported that he has spent much of his time recently providing Jaffe with input on the roadmap. He received communication from Ken Lunn that NHS will assist financially to advance the tooling development activities. Quinn will meet with Lunn at the WGM to discuss further. Jaffe noted that the roadmap proposal to be presented to the TSC and Board in San Antonio calls for a TSC representative to serve on the 2008 roadmap taskforce and the yearly roadmap committee thereafter. He asked the TSC to begin considering who might want wish to appoint to this committee. Jaffe is seeking one representative in addition to the CTO.
    3. ARB report- C. Mead reported that the composition of TSC is almost complete: John Koich and Grahame Grieve have agreed to serve, and C. Mead is seeking one representative from Canada. The ARB has two days of meetings scheduled in San Antonio; thereafter there will be weekly calls similar to the TSC. He hopes to come away from San Antonio with the list of ARB deliverables for the rest of the year. C. Mead thinks those deliverables are likely to include working through the three area of the interoperability paradigm: (1) documents (2) messages, and (3) services; and determining whether they can be combined under a single paradigm and dynamic model. The ARB likely needs representation from the Vocabulary committee. Cecil Lynch was suggested; C. Mead will followup with him. ACTION ITEM: TSC will vote on ARB composition at WGM.
    4. Affiliates Report - Nothing to report.
    5. Domain Experts - Jim Case reported that the Steering Division vote on the RCRIM proposal resulted in only 3 votes from the 18 working groups in this Steering Division. He feels that they they will likely need to revisit the mission/charter statements of the various work groups within this steering division to to determine their viability as stand-alone entities. He also noted that there is nothing in the DMPs to indicate what happens when you have a vote and very few work groups respond.
    6. Foundation & Technology - Nothing to report.
    7. Structure & Semantic Design - Nothing to report.
    8. Technical & Support Services - McCaslin reported that he's updated the mission/charter of the Project Services group and asked the TSC whether this should be brought back to the TSC for approval. There was consensus that the update mission/charter for this group should be approved by the TSC. ACTION ITEM: McCaslin will bring the update mission/charter to the TSC meeting on Sunday evening at the Jan WGM for approval.
  3. (10 min) Objectives for 2008 - McCay reported that he drafted this list of objectives in preparation for his TSC presentations to the affiliates on Sunday and to the work group co-chairs on Monday evening. He would appreciate any suggestions or updates to the following list: (1) TSC reporting and communications processes; (2) Establish effective ARB and Project Services Committees; (3) Clarify roles/responsibilities; (4) Issue management and tracking; (5) Make real the HL7 Product and Services strategy. Case suggested the following additions to McCay's list: (1) ballot publishing, particularly streamlining and improvement of the quality of ballot publishing; (2) Roles of TCs/SIGs and clarification of SIGs and projects. What are projects and how do we define them.
  4. (10 min) PHR out of cycle ballot [1] - Quinn indicated that approval of out-of-cycle ballots should be delegated to the TSC Chair, the CTO or someone other than the Board or Executive Committee. In addition to delegating this responsibility, we need a process to manage it. We need to consider Don Lloyd’s time and the confusion that out-of-cycle ballots present to voters. Beeler asked if this was a universal ballot or US ballot and asked whether we should declare this as US realm only ballot. There was consensus that this out-of-cycle ballot should be open only to the existing ballot pool (i.e.,new voters cannot join). Motion by Beeler: That the TSC approve the PHR S Functional Model out-of-cycle ballot (to open Feb. 14 or 15); seconded by McCaslin. Motion passed unanimously.ACTION ITEM: Quinn to develop draft processes and critera for out-of-cycle ballots.
  5. (5 min) Agenda for Jan 2008 WGM- The agenda should include the following items added during today's TSC call: (1) Process and critera for out-of-cycle ballot approval; (2) vote on ARB composition; (3) vote on updated project services committee mission and charter.
  6. (5 min) WGM TSC presentations review/preview [2]- Case asked about the open mic issue and whether the TSC would take issues from the floor. Beeler feels that the open mic session is not intendes to be used for issues resolution but rather issues capture. Van Hentenryck reminded the group that Amnon Shabo brought forward an issue that needs to be addressed and documented.
  7. (10 min) issue review
    1. TSC Issue tracker- McCay reminded the TSC that the issue tracker will be actively promoted at the WGM. All TSC members should review the tracker to ensure that issues are accurately represented there.
    2. tsc issue review process - Schema issue – Beeler noted that is it not any clearer to him what the Board or Kai are expecting in regards to improving the schema issues other than what has already been expressed. He noted that many schema issues reported in earlier ballots were not present in the last ballot cycle. There has been some expectation that Publishing should provide a date on which we will go back and fix the Dec 2006 ballot pack. Beeler's answer to that is never. He feels this is a tactical issue and is therefore not appropriate for Board discussion. Quinn agrees that these are tactical issues and should be dealt with by the TSC, but he wants the Board to weight in on it.

The meeting adjourned at 12:05 pm ET

Agenda item list (our sand box for future meetings)

Click for TSC Action Item List