2009-12-14 TSC Call Minutes

From HL7 TSC
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC - Technical Steering Committee

Monday, December 14, 2009 11:00 AM (US Eastern Time, UTC -5)
To participate, dial 770-657-9270 and enter pass code 124466#
GoToMeeting at https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/165215206
GoToMeeting ID: 165-215-206 

back to TSC Minutes and Agendas



  • Ioana Singureanu

Meeting Admin

Meeting Attendance - :

At Name Affiliation Email Address
x Calvin Beebe HL7 SSD SD cbeebe@mayo.edu
x Woody Beeler HL7 FTSD Alternate woody@beelers.com
Marc Koehn invited Guest, HL7 EA IP PM marc.koehn@gpinformatics.com
x Austin Kreisler HL7 DESD austin.j.kreisler@saic.com
x Lynn Laakso (scribe, non-voting) HL7 HQ lynn@hl7.org
Ken Lunn invited guest ken.lunn@nhs.net
x Ken McCaslin HL7 TSS SD Kenneth.H.McCaslin@QuestDiagnostics.com
Charlie McCay (chair) HL7 TSC Chair charlie@ramseysystems.co.uk
Charlie Mead HL7 ArB Charlie.mead@booz.com
x Ravi Natarajan HL7 Affiliate Ravi.Natarajan@nhs.net
x Ron Parker HL7 ArB Alternate rparker@infoway-inforoute.ca
x John Quinn HL7 CTO jquinn@hl7.org
x Gregg Seppala HL7 SSD SD Alternate gregg.seppala@va.gov
Ioana Singureanu HL7 FTSD ioana@eversolve.com
x Helen Stevens HL7 TSS SD Alternate helen.stevens@shaw.ca
x Ed Tripp HL7 DESD Alternate Edward.tripp@estripp.com
  1. Accept Agenda – Ken moved, Helen seconded; Unanimously approved.
  2. Approve Minutes from 2009-12-07_TSC_Call_Minutes – Ken moved to accept, second by Calvin. Unanimously approved.
  3. Review action items

Standing Committee Reports/Approvals

  1. Holiday scheduling; we’ll probably have a meeting next week but not the 28th (Boxing Day).
  2. CEO Report –
  3. CTO Report - John was at the OMG meeting last week. Presentation on modeling languages; three options presented. Further discussion anticipated for common modeling language for OMG/HSSP. Galen will be providing an update on the HSSP Process at the WGM Saturday meeting. He’ll be attending HITSP panel and NHIN meetings this week as well as spending time in the HL7 office. Asked on HITSP email sent out for vocabulary elements for laboratory tests requested of Jaffe and himself. Ken knew something about it, and John would like to hear from Ken on his take. Looking at a range of choices for vocabulary elements for lab results. Ken reports it has stirred up a lot of discussion, as it’s based on hospital setting.
  4. ArB Report – Ron reports they met last week, tracking completion of SAEAF book in DITA format. Charlie providing updates on ECCF, Jane completing governance material. Major review coming up 18th of December. This week will be our major review. Looking at what will be required for the alpha projects in Phoenix. John asked about the process of ArB nomination?
    • John and Ken drop off. John returns. Charlie Mead has a draft, wants to discuss with John. Need to get it on the ArB discussion to bring to TSC next week.
    • Change to WGM Weds Q4, ArB as hosted instead of all the other WG.
  5. Affiliates Report – no update. John saw something on the tooling and static model designer from NHS, looking at how to incorporate into publishing and tooling. Woody says they have started testing.
  6. Domain Experts – has nothing to bring forward.
  7. Foundation & Technology – Woody has nothing to report.
  8. Structure & Semantic Design – Calvin noted the requests to publish:
    • Request to publish DSTU for Structured Documents: Implementation Guide for CDA Release 2.0 Care Record Summary Release 2, Discharge Summary. See TSC Tracker # 1367. Calvin put forth the motion; Helen seconded – unanimously approved.
    • Request to publish DSTU for Structured Documents: Implementation Guide for CDA Release 2.0 NHSN Healthcare Associated Infection (HAI) Reports, Release 4. See TSC Tracker # 1368. Woody moved to approve, Calvin seconded; unanimously approved.
    • Helen asked if there were votes closing this week to go to the TSC for next week; she’s got one she’s working on (Oncology). Calvin will put it forward.
  9. Technical & Support Services – Helen reports they have nothing this week but request for next week.

Discussion topics

Open Issues List

For Review 20091214:

  • Document the process of ArB nomination and confirmation, see TSC Tracker #1340 – ArB will review on 12/3 for TSC review pending John's input.
  • DCM FAQ brainstorming session (see TSC Tracker #890).
    The DCMs were felt by Austin that the DCMs appeared to be a more detailed DAM; concerns were considerably reduced. Helen felt they were a detailed message model. Austin thought they might be a mapping to a template based model but not directly implementable; applied to message or document. Woody notes that this distinction is not clearly understood and that is the problem we’re facing. Helen agrees there are mixed messages. Woody adds we need to know where they fit and what their purpose is, in the world of HL7 interoperability. Ravi felt that since they were asked to come to TSC and discuss it. Austin notes that Patient Care has not successfully ‘met’ since last WGM and haven’t updated the PSS. This is an important point of that this is an activity of one or two people and not the consensus based work group. Not a lot of people and no content to illustrate their purpose for a key effort. Helen asks what is the TSC’s next step as we have gone another cycle with no advance. With 13606 and OpenEHR interest we need to advance this work. John will discuss with Chuck that he or Bob should talk to William. Should we request they come to see us in a TSC meeting at the WGM? They haven’t done so, so far. When Charlie McCay talked to William, he came back with a request for questions so they can publish an FAQ. We need to come up with questions we want answered. Send questions to Austin and he will accumulate them, or the TSC list. He will pull out the questions out of what we’ve already discussed.

Further agenda items for WGM?

  • Send some TSC reps to the Patient Care meeting. Last week’s conference call in Patient Care had William and Jean Duteau; not enough to do the work. Patient Care had historically been an active group, now appears to be in trouble. Helen notes there is energy to produce material but not energy to meet? Has the group membership been alienated by bad relationships? That has not been heard but can’t rule it out. Patient Care fragmentation into SIGs has caused the WG to suffer. OO recovered from same situation until they merged Lab back in. Ravi asks, if we produce questions, how soon can we anticipate a reply? We need answers prior to Phoenix WGM, says Helen. We want to encourage them, not to take away their resources (project approval, meeting room space). Ravi asks what is their methodology, what is their process. Helen will attend their meeting if we can; we should coordinate a quarter to send a “TSC Team”. Austin will try to coordinate a time if folks will send their availability.

Helen moves to adjourn. Calvin seconds. Adjourned at 11:49am.

Future Agenda item list

Click for TSC Action Item List