2009-12-07 TSC Call Minutes

From HL7 TSC
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC - Technical Steering Committee

Monday, December 7, 2009 11:00 AM (US Eastern Time, UTC -5)
To participate, dial 770-657-9270 and enter pass code 124466#
GoToMeeting at https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/165215206
GoToMeeting ID: 165-215-206 

back to TSC Minutes and Agendas



  • John Quinn
  • Ioana Singureanu
  • Ed Tripp

Meeting Admin

Meeting Attendance - :

At Name Affiliation Email Address
x Calvin Beebe HL7 SSD SD cbeebe@mayo.edu
x Woody Beeler HL7 FTSD Alternate woody@beelers.com
Marc Koehn invited Guest, HL7 EA IP PM marc.koehn@gpinformatics.com
x Austin Kreisler HL7 DESD austin.j.kreisler@saic.com
x Lynn Laakso (scribe, non-voting) HL7 HQ lynn@hl7.org
x Ken Lunn invited guest ken.lunn@nhs.net
x Ken McCaslin HL7 TSS SD Kenneth.H.McCaslin@QuestDiagnostics.com
x Charlie McCay (chair) HL7 TSC Chair charlie@ramseysystems.co.uk
x Charlie Mead HL7 ArB Charlie.mead@booz.com
x Ravi Natarajan HL7 Affiliate Ravi.Natarajan@nhs.net
x Ron Parker HL7 ArB Alternate rparker@infoway-inforoute.ca
John Quinn HL7 CTO jquinn@hl7.org
x Gregg Seppala HL7 SSD SD Alternate gregg.seppala@va.gov
Ioana Singureanu HL7 FTSD ioana@eversolve.com
x Helen Stevens HL7 TSS SD Alternate helen.stevens@shaw.ca
Ed Tripp HL7 DESD Alternate Edward.tripp@estripp.com
  1. Accept Agenda – bring innovations workshop forward. Agenda accepted by general consent.
  2. Innovations Workshop, see TSC Tracker #1320 and discussion from Ken Lunn on listserv thread. Opportunity for comments / suggestions from the TSC — In particular on an outreach and communications plan for other affiliates, the steering divisions / work groups, and other potential contributors.
    • Ken Lunn has a number of people ready to present some ideas
    • Austin notes the strong focus on video; can they use other methods? How will they be guaranteed a time slot? Ken notes a webcast of what they’re doing is enough. Trying to break the mold of debate, also to provide way for those that can’t attend the session can see what was presented. If we have to turn away people after 2 ½ hours he would be delighted.
    • Charlie McCay asks, as material becomes available will you post on the wiki, or unveil them at the work shop? Ken asks if there will be space on the wiki? Charlie notes it’s more about the agenda and description of the proposals so that others can see if there is already a recurring theme on the proposals. How to get visibility on the agenda management.
    • Ken notes some affiliates are using Facebook groups; Austin stated that there are people who cannot access it. It has to be hosted at HL7 in some fashion. Ken can post on a private site. Woody notes that the wiki may have a file size limit, and GForge limit would be smaller. Ken thought they might go 500MB, and Woody stated the GForge limit is 50 MB. Charlie asks that a primary location for the agenda be on the HL7 wiki and external links or a mirror site can be used.
    • Charlie asks if there are any objections to attempting to use Facebook in this context? Austin notes as long as we know that he and others will not be able to access it. Charlie further notes that it should be notified to Electronic Services that we plan to use this arena. Ravi asks why can’t we host a link to the page where Ken holds the document? Generally agreed.
    • Lynn asked if we should use HL7 official LinkedIn site since we don’t have a Facebook site. Ken McCaslin said Karen and Linda are working on a Facebook site. Charlie asks the Kens to collaborate on that.
    • TSC is by general consent ok with the plan and comfortable with it
  3. Approve Minutes from 2009-11-30_TSC_Call_Minutes – minutes unanimously approved.
  4. Review action items – none this week

Standing Committee Reports/Approvals

  1. CEO Report – none available
  2. CTO Report - none available; John in a meeting with OMG and will break away if needed for quorum.
  3. ArB Report – last week Thursday was Thanksgiving so no report
  4. Affiliates Report – Funding for EU office being discussed. Question of governance of activities, with EPSOS, with EU-wide activities. What are the objectives of that official office? A number of activities identified with marketing and EU projects. Catherine Chronaki and Robert Stegwee have headed this up. European mandate work has created opportunity for HL7 EU office would be useful. There will be discussion on this in Phoenix. Charlie asked Ravi to ensure Affiliates agenda has discussion on clarity of intent.
  5. Domain Experts – Austin notes nothing to report.
  6. Foundation & Technology – Woody says there is nothing in particular, except from Publishing perspective (actually T3SD) as of Sunday night the ballot is in good shape and should open as planned.
  7. Structure & Semantic Design –
    • Request to publish DSTU for Structured Documents: Implementation Guide for CDA Release 2.0 Care Record Summary Release 2, Discharge Summary. See TSC Tracker # 1367. Carry forward to next week.
    • Request to publish DSTU for Structured Documents: Implementation Guide for CDA Release 2.0 NHSN Healthcare Associated Infection (HAI) Reports, Release 4. See TSC Tracker # 1368. Carry forward to next week.
  8. Technical & Support Services -

Discussion topics

Open Issues List

For Review 20091207:

  • Document the process of ArB nomination and confirmation, see TSC Tracker #1340 – ArB will review on 12/3 for TSC review on 12/7. Carry forward to next week.
  • DCM FAQ brainstorming session (see TSC Tracker #890). Carry forward to allow Ed Tripp to participate. Email the list or to Lynn any questions prior to next Monday’s call.
    At the CEN meeting in Madrid, William gave an update on the DCM work — he was saying that the project scope statement would be on the agenda for the Monday meeting at the Phoenix WGM, but that there would not be much concrete progress before then.
    I suggested that a FAQ or Vision document that addressed the concerns / questions that folk have of the project may be a way to make progress before Phoenix.
    I suggested that we ask the TSC and others that have concerns about DCM to pull together a set of questions that need answers – and William was happy with this, and would draft responses that could be published on the website

Adjourned 11:35 am.

Future Agenda item list

Click for TSC Action Item List