2009-06-29 TSC Call Minutes

From HL7 TSC
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC - Technical Steering Committee

Monday, June 29, 2009 11:00 AM (US Eastern Time, GMT -5)
To participate, dial 770-657-9270 and enter pass code 124466#
GoToMeeting at https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/165215206
GoToMeeting ID: 165-215-206 

back to TSC Minutes and Agendas



  • Chair: Charlie McCay
  • CTO: John Quinn
  • Domain Experts: Austin Kreisler (primary), Ed Tripp (alternate)
  • Foundation & Technology: Ioana Singureanu (primary), Woody Beeler (alternate)
  • Structure & Semantic Design: Calvin Beebe (primary), Gregg Seppala (alternate)
  • Technical & Support Services: Ken McCaslin (primary), Helen Stevens Love (alternate)
  • Affiliate: Ravi Natarajan
  • ARB: Charlie Mead (primary), John Koisch (alternate)
  • Ad-Hoc: Jim Case
  • HQ: Karen Van Hentenryck, Lynn Laakso


  • Charles Jaffe (CEO)
  • Ed Hammond (HL7 Chair); Bob Dolin (HL7 Vice Chair)
  • Marc Koehn (EA IP)


  • John Koisch
  • Charlie Mead


  1. (5 min) Meeting Admin
    • Roll Call - The following individuals joined the call:
At Name Affiliation Email Address
x Calvin Beebe HL7 SSD SD cbeebe@mayo.edu
x Woody Beeler HL7 FTSD woody@beelers.com
Jim Case HL7 Ad-Hoc jtcase@ucdavis.edu
Bob Dolin HL7 Chair-elect BobDolin@gmail.com
Marc Koehn HL7 EA IP PM marc.koehn@gpinformatics.com
John Koisch HL7 ArB jkoisch@guidewirearchitecture.com
x Austin Kreisler HL7 DESD austin.j.kreisler@saic.com
x Lynn Laakso (scribe) HL7 HQ lynn@hl7.org
x Ken McCaslin HL7 TSS SD Kenneth.H.McCaslin@QuestDiagnostics.com
x Charlie McCay (chair) HL7 TSC Chair charlie@ramseysystems.co.uk
Charlie Mead HL7 ArB Charlie.mead@booz.com
x Ravi Natarajan HL7 Affiliate Ravi.Natarajan@nhs.net
x John Quinn HL7 CTO jquinn@hl7.org
x Gregg Seppala HL7 SSD SD gregg.seppala@va.gov
x Ioana Singureanu HL7 FTSD ioana@eversolve.com
Helen Stevens Love HL7 TSS SD helen.stevens@shaw.ca
x Ed Tripp HL7 DESD Edward.tripp@estripp.com
  1. Accept Agenda – accepted without comment
  2. Approve Minutes from
  3. Review action items

Standing Committee Reports/Approvals

  1. CEO Report – no report
  2. CTO Report - attached
    • EA IP Update: from Marc’s email - Our focus has still been on just trying to get the Alpha projects kick-started and they are all still struggling. Based on that we are in the process of organizing a call to help them all understand the SAEAF deliverables to be followed up by a one-on-one call with each project. The initial call will be in the next two weeks and I think it’s best if we provide an update after that call occurs.
    • Informative: Request approved for Garry Cruickshank for privileges to be reinstated to the ballot pools to which he was previously registered for the May 2009 ballot cycle.
    • John adds to his report that he’s at an ONCHIT meeting with Chuck Jaffe, and there is a need for HL7 to become more visible or we risk the U.S. national initiatives allowing DICOM and IHE to take work from our space. As there is an NHIN panel convening, John needs to leave the call.
  3. ArB Report - Charlie Mead reports from an email, we have no report other than our continuing concern that HL7 HQ can move forward with contracting the appropriate resources to work on the SAEAF book. The RFP apparently went out on Friday.
  4. Affiliates Report – Ravi reports things are calm as usual, and his visibility outreach has yielded no feedback.
  5. Domain Experts -
    • Project Approval: CIC WG - EMS DAM request at TSC Tracker #1079 unanimously approved
    • Request to withdraw standard: HL7 V3 Regulated Studies: eDCI (RCRIM) at TSC Tracker # 1064 is an electronic case report form, predating Project Insight so no PI# was ever assigned. The request was unanimously approved.
    • Austin also reports the IDMP project for JIC has overcome obstacles and is now making progress towards approval and will come to the TSC next week.
  6. Foundation & Technology – Ioana had nothing to report.
  7. Structure & Semantic Design – Calvin had nothing to report.
  8. Technical & Support Services -
    • Project Approval: Project Services - HL7 Project Review and Cleanup request at TSC Tracker # 1078 needs to be circulated to the cochairs and come back to the TSC for approval next week.

Discussion topics

  • Open Issues List
    • Closed 976, 746, 1064.
    • Woody reports there is discussion underway on 1061.
  • Three-year plan guideline review
    • Motion tendered and tabled on 2009-06-01 CC: The TSC provide a structure and format guideline for three year plans to the WGs that describes the content detail required for their own project guidance and decision making processes.
    • Example at TSC Tracker # 1082
    • Discussion considerations: projects only, or projects and tasks? Evaluating how to pull information from Project Insight, to make the most use of tools already in place.
    • Ken identified the Three-Year Plan as a place for things to work on as identified during SWOT analysis.
    • Is the appropriate effort to generate this sheet for columns a, b, c, d, from project insight, send to cochairs and let them fill in the detail?
    • Ravi suggested we could keep non project work in a separate tab. Woody disagrees, that we want an overview, one view of what the work groups are working on. Ken specifies that the identification of the discrete tasks takes us away from a strategic, to a tactical view. Woody says no we are showing what we’re expending our resources and mindshare upon.
    • Charlie asks: How do we ensure stakeholders and users both gain a consistent message?
    • Ed reiterates the question, What is the intended use of what we’re developing? Current information is acceptable for strategic document, but if it will be used to manage resources we’re missing how much resource is consumed by each task.
    • Charlie states that the TSC must provide guidance on how this is used going forward and what its role is beside a recap of Project Insight. How will WG and stakeholders get value out of these information exercises. If one or the other is redundant we must be prepared to say so. Woody says they’re complimentary. Simple layout of what will happen, when. Pulling information on the right from PI would be too much overhead.
    • Woody suggests a descriptive title in addition or alternative to PI title for things like the RIM balloting.
    • To summarize, the 3 year plan is a one page summary, manually maintained, of what the committee is doing and PI is full detail view of the projects. Lynn will use this guidance in discussing with Dave for building automation with Project Insight. Look at other reports from Project Insight to inform the WG.

Adjourn 11:55am EDT

Future Agenda item list

Click for TSC Action Item List