2009-06-15 TSC Call Minutes

From HL7 TSC
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC - Technical Steering Committee

Monday, June 15, 2009 11:00 AM (US Eastern Daylight Time, GMT -5)
To participate, dial 770-657-9270 and enter pass code 124466#
GoToMeeting at https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/165215206
GoToMeeting ID: 165-215-206 

back to TSC Minutes and Agendas




  • Charlie McCay

Roll Call

- The following individuals joined the call:

At Name Affiliation Email Address
x Calvin Beebe HL7 SSD SD cbeebe@mayo.edu
x Woody Beeler HL7 FTSD woody@beelers.com
Jim Case HL7 Ad-Hoc jtcase@ucdavis.edu
x Marc Koehn HL7 EA IP Project Manager marc.koehn@gpinformatics.com
x John Koisch HL7 ArB jkoisch@guidewirearchitecture.com
x Austin Kreisler HL7 DESD austin.j.kreisler@saic.com
x Lynn Laakso (scribe) HL7 HQ lynn@hl7.org
x Ken McCaslin HL7 TSS SD Kenneth.H.McCaslin@QuestDiagnostics.com
Charlie McCay (TSC chair) HL7 TSC Chair charlie@ramseysystems.co.uk
Charlie Mead HL7 ArB Charlie.mead@booz.com
x Ravi Natarajan HL7 Affiliate Ravi.Natarajan@nhs.net
x John Quinn (Today's meeting Chair) HL7 CTO jquinn@hl7.org
x Gregg Seppala HL7 SSD SD gregg.seppala@va.gov
x Ioana Singureanu HL7 FTSD ioana@eversolve.com
x Helen Stevens Love HL7 TSS SD helen.stevens@shaw.ca
x Ed Tripp HL7 DESD Edward.tripp@estripp.com

Accept Agenda

– Motion to accept by Ken, second by Helen; unanimously accepted without comment

Approve Minutes

from 2009-06-08 TSC Call Minutes Motion by Ed, second by Helen; unanimously approved

Review action items

Standing Committee Reports/Approvals

  1. CEO Report - no report
  2. CTO Report - In the last week, my activities have been primarily focused in three areas:
    1. Ed Hammond, Chuck Jaffe and I had several meetings at the offices of the National Coordinator of Health Information Technology on Tuesday and Wednesday of last week. We met with John Glaser, Mike Fitzmaurice and Carolyn Bean on Tuesday. We met with Dr. David Blumenthal on Wednesday.
      Highlights of what we learned or discussed:
      • The initial “draft” interim regulations on “meaningful use” will be published tomorrow (June 16) for a 30 day public comment period. ONC will then have only thirty days to respond to any comments before sending the regulations on to OMB for publishing in the Federal Register before the end of the year—as required by the ARRA law.
      • All conversations were friendly and productive. Both John and David expressed interest in pursuing the finance plan. However, they first need to get the work of item 'a' above off their desks. When they do get back to us it sounds likely that if they pursue our plan they will want it enclosed in some sort of a contract with HL7. Both, however, were interested if further discussing an arrangement where they participated in HL7 at least at the same level as our other large government provider stakeholders (Canada and the UK).
    2. I then spent Wednesday afternoon and Thursday at the HITSP face-to-face meetings. The pressure there is quite intense because they are part of the same June 16 related deadline.
    3. I have completed a draft tooling out-of-budget request to the HL7 Finance Committee. Most of the hard work has been done by the HL7 Tooling Work Group, Publishing Work Group and Jane Curry. The Finance Committee call is in preparation for the Executive Committee Call and then the July Board Conference Call.
    • Discussion: Expect to hear by August 15. Anticipate a 'contract' arrangement between ONCIHIT and HL7. Impact to .org, to operations a major question. Financial Plan available with the Board minutes.
    • EA IP Update: Marc Koehn joined the call to update briefly: The EA IP small subgroup met once, and the three candidate projects are struggling through their plans and determination of artifacts for SAEAF. The PASS charter is expected this week, CTS2 had their first meeting since the WGM just last week, and the SD call this Thursday will continue the discussion on CDA R3.
  3. ArB Report - Koisch reports the BRIDG 3.0 is in process. He asked about the status of the SAEAF 'Book'. John Quinn will be bringing the proposal to the Finance Committee, who meets tomorrow. Karen is sending out an RFP for bids. There will be another ArB OOC if funding avaialble.
  4. Affiliates Report – Ravi had noted early in the call there were lightning strikes near them and communications were dodgy - he was no longer on the call at this point.
  5. Domain Experts - nothing to report
  6. Foundation & Technology -
    • Data Types R2 has not come through the Steering Division for approval. Woody will check and get back next week.
    • Project Insight and GForge cost-benefit analysis - cost benefit analysis deferred to Electronic Services WG.
    • Discussion of GForge migration to new host server by August due to National Superconducter Center at UNLV budget and staff cuts... John has included the proposal to host by the 'GForge Group' in his request for funding.
  7. Structure & Semantic Design -
    • 7 projects just released, to be reviewed for next week.
  8. Technical & Support Services - nothing to report.

Discussion topics

  • Large National Projects - Quinn. Discussed earlier.
  • Questions for the Advisory Committee (AC) - conference call Tuesday June 16.
    • Ken asked if we had gotten a reading on which of the two Roadmap Strategies graphics were better received? No feedback.
    • Charlie's initial questions reviewed as examples. Anyone can submit questions to Ed Hammond. Helen asks what the AC would advise on the change in operations to address the new funding model and pace of development of standards. She will send to Charlie or Ed Hammond.
  • Tabled Motion:The TSC provide a structure and format guideline for three year plans to the WGs that describes the content detail required for their own project guidance and decision making processes.
    • Examples reviewed; distinction between WGM and Ballot, renaming by Trimester.
    • Lynn and Ed to review using a key or other documentation of how to show on timeline the planned progression of development through balloting stages.
  • Tabled discussion on whether TSC wishes to produce and provide information on the Work Group health using the current metrics.
    • Resolution: Share the Work Group Health documents with the general membership, notifying the cochairs in advance. Include the WG Health documents with the TSC Newsletter. Motion by Austin, second by Calvin, unanimously approved.

Meeting adjourned at 11:57 AM EDT as moved by Ken and seconded by Helen

Future Agenda item list

Click for TSC Action Item List