From HL7 TSC
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC - Technical Steering Committee

Monday, October 6, 2008 11:00 AM (US Eastern Time, GMT -5)
To participate, dial 770-657-9270 and enter pass code 124466#
GoToMeeting at
GoToMeeting ID: 822-618-174 

back to TSC Minutes and Agendas



  • CTO: John Quinn
  • Domain Experts: Jim Case (primary), Austin Kreisler (alternate)
  • Foundation & Technology: Ioana Singureanu (primary), Woody Beeler (alternate)
  • Structure & Semantic Design: Calvin Beebe (primary), Gregg Seppala (alternate)
  • Technical & Support Services: Ken McCaslin (primary), Helen Stevens Love (alternate)
  • Affiliate: Frank Oemig,
  • ARB Chair: Charlie Mead of John Koisch (ArB alternte)
  • HQ: Karen Van Hentenryck


  • Charles Jaffe (CEO); Ed Hammond (HL7 Chair); Chuck Meyer (HL7 Vice Chair); Ed Tripp (newly elected TSC member); Ravi Natarajan (newly elected TSC member)


  • Charlie Mead
  • Gregg Seppala
  • Jim Case


  1. (5 min) Meeting Admin
    1. Roll Call - The following individuals joined the call: Ken McCaslin, Austin Kreisler, Calvin Beebe, Woody Beeler, John Koisch, Chuck Meyer, Ioana Singureanu, Charlie McCay, Karen Van Hentenryck, Ravi Natarajan
    2. Accept Agenda - Meyer requested feedback on the GOM Work Item related to vendor demonstrations that was distributed last week.
    3. Approve Minutes from concall-20080929 - Minutes approved unanimously.
  2. (20 min) Standing Committee Reports/Approvals
    1. CEO Report - No report was provided
    2. CTO Report - No report was provided
    3. ArB Report - John Koisch reported that the SOA work group is doing a harmonization of the SAEAF document this week. Please refer to the ArB wiki site for additional information.
    4. Affiliates Report - Nothing to report.
    5. Domain Experts -
      • MOTION by SD: To approve the project scope statement for Lab CMET project [1]Motion passed unanimously.
      • More projects are being reviewed by the SD and going through the eVoting process. The Steering Division voting process is moving slowly, and thus some project may not be approved in time to go to ballot. McCay asked if voting on projects at the SD level is effective. Kresiler feels that it is effective. Singureanu asked how many votes are being waited for. Kreisler indicated that they are waiting on about 5 votes. McCay asked if there is action that the TSC can take to speed the voting process. One suggestion was to do exception voting (i.e., non-votes are assumed to be affirmative votes). Kreisler feels that the size of the Domain Experts Steering Division is problematic.
    6. Foundation & Technology
      • MOTION by SD: That the TSC will set up a tracker and make it available to SDs to collect and manage SAEAF review comments. The ArB members will use this tracker to manage and resolve any SAEAF comments received through this mechanism. (alternative motion would be to have the tracker hosted by the ArB in the HL7 Project Homebase). Discussion: Koisch doesn't think it is realistic for the current comments to be entered into tracker. He would rather spend the time getting the issues resolved. Singureanu volunteered to manage the tracker as she feels its use makes the comments and their dispositions public. She is happy to withdraw the motion if there is a location where people can go to see the comments. Koisch noted that the intent is to make things available on the wiki site. ACTION ITEM: The ArB will discuss the need for a publically available/visible place to post and disposition the SAEAF comments and propose a solution. Natarajan also noted that one of the drawbacks of using GForge is that you have to have a username/password on the site before you can post comments.
    7. Structure & Semantic Design - Nothing to report.
    8. Technical & Support Services -
      • MOTION by SD: To approve the WG Documents Location project scope [2] - McCaslin noted that the goal of this project to make the necessary changes to web pages to direct people to the location where WGs minutes etc. are being posted. ACTION ITEM: McCaslin will post this project scope to the cochairs listserv. McCaslin reported that during the Jan 2009 WGM, the Tooling Work Group will host Electronic Services and Project Svcs on Thursday, Q1 with the goal of recommending which tools should be used for various WG needs.
  3. (30 min) Discussion topics
    • Enterprise Architecture roll out project - McCay reported that he is in the process of contacting with Mark Kohn who we hope will lead that project. That project should provide context on making sure we get comments on the SAEAF document and implementing the project. McCay is hoping to make progress fairly quickly. The goal is to get project scope in place to accomplish the relevant work at the WGM Wed Q3-Q4 meeting. ACTION ITEM: Singureanu will assist with this project. McCay reported that he's spoken with Ken Rubin, and the SOA WG is beginning to consider what the implementation impacts might be for them and document them in a paper. Other committees may benefit from a similar exercise before the Jan 2009 WGM.
    • RCRIM and BRIDG DAM - McCay noted that this topic emerged in Vancouver and been bubbling ever since. Can a committee require that a model be required for all work of the WG. Singureanu noted that if projects within a WG are disjointed, having a consolidated analysis model may not be useful.

Meeting adjourned at 11:50 am ET.

Agenda item list (our sand box for future meetings)

Click for TSC Action Item List