2015-11-02 TSC Call Agenda

From HL7 TSC
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC Agenda/Minutes

Meeting Info/Attendees

Standing Conference Calls

TSC will hold a Conference Call at 11AM Eastern time, each Monday except during scheduled face-to-face Working Group Meetings unless otherwise noted at TSC_Minutes_and_Agendas.

GoToMeeting at https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/426505829 using VOIP
For those without access to microphone/speakers:
US: +1 (224)501-3318
Canada: +1 (647)497-9379
Italy: +39 0 230 57 81 80
Access Code: 426-505-829
GoToMeeting ID: 426-505-829
HL7 TSC Meeting Minutes

Location: call 770-657-9270 using code 985371#
NEW GoToMeeting ID: 426-505-829

Date: 2015-11-02
Time: 11:00 AM U.S. Eastern
Facilitator: Ken McCaslin Note taker(s): Anne Wizauer
Quorum = chair + 5 including 2 SD represented yes/no
Chair/CTO ArB International Affiliate Rep Ad-Hoc
x Ken McCaslin . Tony Julian . Jean Duteau x Austin Kreisler
. John Quinn x Lorraine Constable x Giorgio Cangioli .
Domain Experts Foundation and Technology Structure and Semantic Design Technical and Support Services
. Melva Peters Woody Beeler x Calvin Beebe x Freida Hall
x John Roberts x Paul Knapp Regrets Pat van Dyke x Andy Stechishin
. x Russ Hamm . . Sandra Stuart (co-chair elect)
ex officio Invited Guests Observers HL7 Staff
. Stan Huff (HL7 Chair) w/vote . . obs1 x Anne Wizauer
. Chuck Jaffe (CEO) vote . . . obs2 .

. . . . .



  1. Introduction of visitors (including declaration of interests)
  2. Agenda review and approval -
  3. Approve Minutes of 2015-10-26 TSC Call Agenda
  4. Homework: Review 2016Jan Ballot Items


  1. Approval items:
  2. Discussion topics:
    • Clarification of guidance on technical corrections/errata publication process (Lynn/Karen)
      • ANSI position
    • Registration of technical reports with ANSI - lack of value (Lynn)
    • Update on OASIS standard issue (John R. et al)
    • Core definition of substantive change (cross-family)


  1. Review action items
    • Ken to follow up with staff re: updating standards space to accomodate superseded DSTUs in next several weeks
    • Anne to send John Q. the motion regarding tooling funds request to EC
    • Lynn to invite Karen to next call to discuss ANSI's position on technical corrections/errata
  2. Approval items:
  3. Approval items from last week's e-vote approved 0/0/0:
  4. Discussion topics:
  5. Reports: (attach written reports below from Steering Divisions et al.)
  6. Open Issues List


  • Minutes approved via general consent
  • Homework: review ballot items for 2016Jan for approval next week
  • Technical corrections/errata:
    • ANSI's view is clear on these - they don't recognize them. You can repackage it as a separate document but you cannot change the original publication. Changing the document itself requires a new ballot. ANSI has no bearing on DSTU or informative.
    • Lorraine asks how this relate to registration of technical reports. Lynn notes that discontinuing this practice is also on the agenda. Many justifications for registering is the hope that it would give access to broader audience, but in practice that is not the case.
    • For normative documents, Ken summarizes that we are not going to republish; we're going to make sure that we provide the ability to include errata/technical corrections bundled in the package. If substantive, the WG should consider reballoting for an additional release. Paul notes that technical corrections are normally applied to the document where errata is a list attached to the document. Discussion over FHIR publishing process - will follow up on FGB call today.
    • Differences between DSTU and normative process? Paul suggests they should be the same. There must be transparency and persistence in the process. Freida notes that we have a process for handling errata for DSTU and informative. DSTUs allows the publishing of changes with review process but not a full ballot. V2 has a formal definition of what is a technical correction; they are published separately. Original document + errata is the source of truth.
    • Lynn suggests placing a document on the TSC page summarizing technical correction/errata guidance. Lynn will write up a statement for approval next week.
  • Registration of technical reports:
    • MOTION by Freida that HQ will take that piece off of publication request and will submit change request for GOM; second by Paul.
    • VOTE: All in favor
  • Endorsement of external standards - update from John R.
    • John reviews document describing proposal.
    • Discussion over having HL7 publish as an HL7 standard instead. What does endorsement mean? How do we manage it? Would we have a separate page saying "these are HL7 endorsements?" OASIS is also ANSI-accredited. The GOM allows for this with IGs. We could adapt that for other types of standards including this one. Discussion that this the IP piece is not a TSC decision, but the process is.
    • TSC should make a recommendation to the executive committee regarding how to move this forward. Want to maintain that we can charge for the ballot. Need clarity on IP issue - if we put our name on it, it becomes our IP. John Roberts will put that together for next week. Austin notes that we should also have a process for withdrawing the document. Will change this to an overall endorsement statement using OASIS as an example.
  • LHS producing artifacts:
    • Most groups in T3SD provide support and don't develop HL7 artifacts directly per the Mission and Charter. There is a PSS coming up from LHS to produce a care plan domain analysis model. This creates a disconnect in terms of being part of T3SD. When the group was created, it was their intent to create artifacts but no other steering division felt that they belonged. John Roberts suggests that perhaps they belong in DESD. The groups they envision working on this project with are all in DESD.
    • Next step: WG needs to ask permission from DESD to move into that SD.
  • Core definition of substantive change
    • There is one in the essential requirements. We need to come up with a statement with what we were going to ask FGB. Leave on for next week.

Next Steps

Actions (Include Owner, Action Item, and due date)
  • Lynn to draft statement summarizing technical correction/errata guidance
  • John R. to pull together recommendation to executive committeee for endorsement of external standards and investigate IP issue
Next Meeting/Preliminary Agenda Items

© 2015 Health Level Seven® International. All rights reserved.