2009-10-05 TSC Call Minutes

From HL7 TSC
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC - Technical Steering Committee

Monday, October 5, 2009 11:00 AM (US Eastern Time, GMT -5)
To participate, dial 770-657-9270 and enter pass code 124466#
GoToMeeting at https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/165215206
GoToMeeting ID: 165-215-206 

back to TSC Minutes and Agendas



  • Ravi Natarajan

Meeting Admin

Roll Call - The following individuals joined the call:

At Name Affiliation Email Address
x Calvin Beebe HL7 SSD SD cbeebe@mayo.edu
x Woody Beeler HL7 FTSD woody@beelers.com
x Marc Koehn HL7 EA IP PM Marc.Koehn@gpinformatics.com
x Austin Kreisler HL7 DESD austin.j.kreisler@saic.com
x Lynn Laakso (scribe) HL7 HQ lynn@hl7.org
x Ken McCaslin HL7 TSS SD Kenneth.H.McCaslin@QuestDiagnostics.com
Charlie McCay HL7 TSC Chair charlie@ramseysystems.co.uk
x Charlie Mead HL7 ArB Charlie.mead@booz.com
Ravi Natarajan HL7 Affiliate Ravi.Natarajan@nhs.net
x Ron Parker HL7 ArB Alternate rparker@infoway-inforoute.ca
x John Quinn (chair) HL7 CTO jquinn@hl7.org
x Gregg Seppala HL7 SSD SD gregg.seppala@va.gov
Ioana Singureanu HL7 FTSD ioana@eversolve.com
x Helen Stevens HL7 TSS SD helen.stevens@shaw.ca
x Ed Tripp HL7 DESD Edward.tripp@estripp.com
x D. Mead Walker HL7 FTSD-elect dmead@comcast.net
  1. Accept Agenda – note: Notifiable Condition Report withdrawal project approved. GOM has been changed to 15.04.01 worthy of review by TSC.
    • agenda accepted
  2. Approve Minutes
    • From 20090914: 2009-09-14_TSC_Call_Minutes motion by Ken second Ed. Unanimously approved.
    • from 2009SeptWGM: Helen requests defer this approval until next week. Ken pipes in that he has, indeed reviewed them.
  3. Review action items
    • From 2009SeptWGM, 20090919 – Calvin and Charlie Mead to present a brief summarizing the issues of representing how the TSC interacts with the Roadmap
      • Charlie Mead says it’s not ready – for next week. Calvin reports the Dolin presentation dispelled many concerns on what is planned for his chair term.
    • From 2009SeptWGM, Helen and Lynn to do some wordsmithing on the TSC Mission and Charter draft. Revisions noted, will review for approval next week.

Standing Committee Reports/Approvals

  1. CEO Report – in Hong Kong
  2. CTO Report -
    • Tooling update – John has requested Jane to come up with a more detailed set of plans for next year’s budget. He expects that within a month.
    • OMG-HSSP process: HL7 as a platform independent specification, HSSP creates specs at lower layers of architecture. HL7 recommendation, HSSP writes RFP to contractor that may not meet specifcations. Charlie Mead, Galen, Robert Laurio and Grahame, Quinn and McCay met during reception in Atlanta to try to resolve. Should have an update next week. We’ll need to work with the OMG ‘process guru’. Mead adds there was an OMG – hosted dinner Richard Soley attended and commented on report from Wednesday’s discussion. Richard is committed to fixing it. Mead reports that Galen told him the SOA WG spent time on documenting current process, after a couple weeks they’ll be ready to discuss with OMG, but Charlie suggested they present their proposal to TSC first. Quinn agrees.
    • CDISC relationship: CMead on CDISC board now. They had a board meeting the two days just before Atlanta. Focus emerging on the two projects BRIDG and CShare (repository of shared semantics), interest in becoming SAEAF compliant, avoid developing noncompliant XML work. Becky trying to figure out the next steps to move the relationship to the next level, to be more integrated without losing brand recognition. Quinn indicates the OHT meeting this week would provide a chance to touch base. Mead says one of CDISC standards, the ODM, is to be used by NCI on formal project to produce CDA-compliant version of ODM, requiring work on datatypes. There is a sense at the Board level that this type of movement to reduce overlap needs to happen.
    • Intellectual Property Update: Request received by HL7 Board to approve a specific copyright statement for open source license for OHT, core MIF files in conjunction with NHS posting to OHT static model. Ravi asked for definitive approval by HL7 Board but they could not do so in time for Ravi’s deadline for OHT Board meeting. Quinn will bring up to the EC meeting today in preparation for next week’s Board meeting, pending the outcome of legal review. Negotiations have begun on what governments can use of our intellectual property, and what funding is required to develop IP faster.
  3. ArB Report –
    • Alpha projects EA IP, Marc reports coming out of WGM, we have a list of to-dos, kick off Advisory Group again on two core things: communications of alpha stuff, post the lists etc for communication strategies. Second, how are we knowledge harvesting on these alpha projects?
    • Charlie Mead reports that coming out of Atlanta we need to think about how we manage adoption of SAEAF outside of formal HL7 context. Ken Buetow director of CBIIT at NCI, profile position with Obama Administration trying to get architecture and governance into OHT, and initially had consortium with AU, CA, and UK, called Arch Project Team. Team had trouble with the architecture needing governance; Mead and Dennis Giokas pushed back that it was needed. Skip of OMG had been out of touch a while. Buetow wants to take emerging SAEAF architecture into OHT and require governance with compliance with EA. Also, NIH (Jack Jones) wants to move NIH to also be SAEAF compliant, all using the same language and framework, not necessarily the same architecture. Starting to get some national traction. Mead also met with people form DOD and VA on EHR projects (per NCI EHR-S FM caEHR) to coordinate efforts. Discussion centered on HITSP and Federal Health Architecture (FHA). Hufnagel and Larsen willing to discuss. FHA looking for suggestions. A formal project is coming to show how SAEAF compliant goal works with FHA.
  4. International Council Report –
    • Discuss International Council Request: quality considerations if Work Groups not meeting at WGM, TSC Tracker # 1321; Helen reports a motion passed that lack of meetings be considered as a quality factor. Not just at international meetings, but U.S. based meetings and Work Groups not meeting. Post meeting evaluation of success factors also requested, with report. Quinn recommends effectiveness instead of success factors. Helen says the International Council wants the TSC to be aggressive in evaluating the success factors in the success of a WGM. Not just financial success but quorum success. Were enough work groups able to conduct business. Ed’s concern according to Quinn is whether work product was created not whether they were able to conduct work. Helen says some kind of postmortem on the WGM on effectiveness is what the International Council is looking for. Calvin says we should do a benchmark here at a U.S. meeting before we measure against international meetings.
  5. Domain Experts -
    • DCM project review – tabled motion to rescind [TSC #611] approval; relationship to [TSC Tracker #890] on Consistency of Clinical content.
      • Mead reports that he talked to William Goossen and he’s anxious to become a SAEAF project. Austin reports they have not produced an updated scope statement yet.
  6. Foundation & Technology – Woody reports they have not met since WGM. Percolating in hyperspace is ongoing concern over CTS2. Grahame is helping. Meeting tomorrow and hope to have something more specific to report.
  7. Structure & Semantic Design -
  8. Technical & Support Services -
    • For 20091005: JIC Project: Harmonised health informatics document registry and glossary – deferred, as Ken needs to follow up. Woody indicated he has not seen a project statement either. Postpone for two weeks. Quinn asks for a position on this by the Durham meeting; Helen indicates the SD meets on the 12th and can bring it back on the 19th. It became a JIC project before it became an HL7 project. Quinn says the 19th is too late for the JWG meeting on the 18th. TSC Tracker # 984
      Glossaries 'owned' by Publishing, was part of Vocabulary. Project Scope Statement has not advanced through the project approval process.

Discussion topics

  • TSC Chair election: Nominees - Charlie McCay; Woody moves to close nominations; Ken seconds. Unanimously carried. Woody moves to name Charlie McCay second by Helen; quorum rechecked, quorum not met. Deferred to next week.

Adjourned 12:05 PM.

Future Agenda item list

Click for TSC Action Item List