2009-07-13 TSC Call Minutes

From HL7 TSC
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC - Technical Steering Committee

Monday, July 13, 2009 11:00 AM (US Eastern Time, GMT -5)
To participate, dial 770-657-9270 and enter pass code 124466#
GoToMeeting at https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/165215206
GoToMeeting ID: 165-215-206 

back to TSC Minutes and Agendas



  • Ravi Natarajan
  • Helen Stevens Love

Meeting Admin

Roll Call - The following individuals joined the call:

At Name Affiliation Email Address
x Calvin Beebe HL7 SSD SD cbeebe@mayo.edu
x Woody Beeler HL7 FTSD woody@beelers.com
Jim Case HL7 Ad-Hoc jtcase@ucdavis.edu
Bob Dolin HL7 Chair-elect BobDolin@gmail.com
John Koisch HL7 ArB jkoisch@guidewirearchitecture.com
x Austin Kreisler HL7 DESD austin.j.kreisler@saic.com
x Lynn Laakso (scribe) HL7 HQ lynn@hl7.org
x Ken McCaslin HL7 TSS SD Kenneth.H.McCaslin@QuestDiagnostics.com
x Charlie McCay (chair) HL7 TSC Chair charlie@ramseysystems.co.uk
Charlie Mead HL7 ArB Charlie.mead@booz.com
Ravi Natarajan HL7 Affiliate Ravi.Natarajan@nhs.net
x John Quinn HL7 CTO jquinn@hl7.org
x Gregg Seppala HL7 SSD SD gregg.seppala@va.gov
x Ioana Singureanu HL7 FTSD ioana@eversolve.com
Helen Stevens Love HL7 TSS SD helen.stevens@shaw.ca
x Ed Tripp HL7 DESD Edward.tripp@estripp.com
  1. Accept Agenda – #7, Genetic Variation is a new request and many need to be postponed for decision next week. DCM thread on listserv should be picked up by SD, related to Patient Care presentation next week. Agenda accepted.
  2. Approve Minutes from 2009-07-06_TSC_Call_Minutesunanimously approved
  3. Review action items – none this week

Standing Committee Reports/Approvals

  1. CEO Report – none available
  2. CTO Report – Last week went to HITSP meeting, panel approved new components, John has concerns he’s raising with c-team on interorganizational issues. May come to TSC after some discussions. After some frantic work was pushed through in 90 days, he’s not sure it will work. Ioana asks if HL7 should take a greater role in implementation and certification issues, and John agrees. Ioana extends a suggestion on guidelines on what an IG looks like, what experience a conformance organization might need.
    • EA IP Update: Seminar scheduled for Wednesday, Koisch cannot present, waiting to hear from Charlie Mead.
  3. ArB Report – no report
  4. Affiliates Report – no report
  5. Domain Experts – no report
  6. Foundation & Technology – no report, call is tomorrow.
  7. Structure & Semantic Design –
  8. Technical & Support Services – no report.

Discussion topics

  1. Ballot cycle document approvals: list to review and comment to the listserv for next week's approval.
  2. Three-year plan guideline review at TSC Tracker # 1082
    • Motion tendered and tabled on 2009-06-01 CC: The TSC provide a structure and format guideline for three year plans to the WGs that describes the content detail required for their own project guidance and decision making processes
    • Project Insight (PI) proposed modifications to support tracking of three-year planning for projects -
      1. Modify fields within Project Insight. Suggestions include:
      2. Project State – Currently an unused field; use ‘Planning’ (three-year-plan) or ‘Active’ (currently in-process) as appropriate
      3. Project Status – Currently an unused field; add the items in Ed Tripp’s dropdown list: Lynn or Dave of HQ can update Project Insight each ballot cycle for those projects coming to ballot.
      4. Project Type – modify this field by adding a selection item to identify a project as a 3 Year Plan project – this was a suggestion but probably would not be needed if we used the 'planning' project state to identify those items not-yet-in-progress
      5. End Date - update the end date field to reflect that which is listed in the project or on a three-year plan, and run reports for those projects exceeding their predicted End Date to get an updated status and timeline.
      • Enter approximately 100+ new projects into Project Insight (these would be all of the Work Group’s 3 Year Plan items)
      • Modify the Searchable Project Database Tool (cannot be done until mid to late August as HQ is booked with work on the new website). So far, the modifications needed would be to pull in the two unused fields mentioned above
      • The majority of the 'projects' (or activities that look like they’re our typical projects) missing PI #s is small. The larger number, and probably no more than a hundred, are 'tasks' that cochairs may choose not to add to project insight but to maintain manually on a three year plan spreadsheet. The project Insight export and the manually maintained list would have to be combined to fully represent a work group’s three-year plan, but many of these tactical tasks are not necessarily things that would be of interest to the audience we’ve targeted for providing visibility to the activities of the Working Group.
    • Discussion: ensued on frequency of update (annual), sort order ability, how to display on WG web pages, how to identify WG that actually do planning versus those that just have projects out there. Austin recommends the presence of a three-year plan (approved by the WG) makes an important indicator of WG Health.
    • WG should be getting updates each trimester although we require update once per year.
    • Structure and Format guidelines then would be provided by Project Services on how to update Project Insight, run the extract, manually adjust, etc. adding rows as required and sorting as needed.
    • Unanimously approved. Please return a timetable to the TSC on advice to committees by end of August to be prepared for September.
  3. Open Issues List
    • PSS at TSC Tracker 999: TSC Product Visibility Project Proposal
      Feedback on draft “Product Brief” categories and matrix on domains.
      Does this need to be approved as a project? Does the TSC wish to modify the product list before “approving” it? Are we ready to send the Product Brief templates to the appropriate work groups to fill out?
    • Discussion: Ken would like to see a permanent name for the SAEAF before we do this product list.
    • Need to remove the draft list of products under “Deliverable” before the PSS is circulated to co chairs.
    • Subject to this change, unanimously approved for release to cochairs. Review again for approval as a formal project on next week’s call.
    • Set of headings to be used for Product Brief, to send out for products to be filled in, approved. Calvin moves to approve, second Austin. Unanimously approved.
  4. Nominations for SD reps not sufficient numbers to cover open positions; please promote! ACTION ITEM: Lynn to follow up on election process documentation with Karen and GOM, send to list. See GOM Section Steering Division Representatives

Meeting adjourned 12:01 PM EDT.