2009-04-20 TSC Call Minutes

From HL7 TSC
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC - Technical Steering Committee

Monday, April 20, 2009 11:00 AM (US Eastern Time, GMT -5)
To participate, dial 770-657-9270 and enter pass code 124466#
GoToMeeting at https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/165215206
GoToMeeting ID: 165-215-206 

back to TSC Minutes and Agendas



  • Chair: Charlie McCay
  • CTO: John Quinn
  • Domain Experts: Austin Kreisler (primary), Ed Tripp (alternate)
  • Foundation & Technology: Ioana Singureanu (primary), Woody Beeler (alternate)
  • Structure & Semantic Design: Calvin Beebe (primary), Gregg Seppala (alternate)
  • Technical & Support Services: Ken McCaslin (primary), Helen Stevens Love (alternate)
  • Affiliate: Ravi Natarajan
  • ARB: Charlie Mead (primary), John Koisch (alternate)
  • HQ: Karen Van Hentenryck, Lynn Laakso


  • Charles Jaffe (CEO)
  • Ed Hammond (HL7 Chair); Bob Dolin (HL7 Vice Chair)
  • Marc Koehn (EA IP)
  • Jim McCain


  • Gregg Seppala


  1. (5 min) Meeting Admin
    1. Roll Call - The following individuals joined the call: Calvin Beebe, Woody Beeler, Dave Hamill, John Koisch, Austin Kreisler, Lynn Laakso, Don Lloyd, Ken McCaslin, Charlie McCay, Ravi Natarajan, John Quinn, Ioana Singureanu, Helen Stevens Love, and Ed Tripp
    2. Accept Agenda – agenda accepted
    3. Approve Minutes from 2009-04-13_TSC_Call_Minutes – motion to approve by Ed, unanimously approved
    4. Review action items – none this week
  2. (20 min) Standing Committee Reports/Approvals
    1. CEO Report – none available
    2. CTO Report – [1]
      1. I was at the HIMSS meeting Sunday through Wednesday April 5 through 8 in Chicago. We had good booth traffic and several presentations given by myself, Chuck Jaffe, Ed Hammond, Woody Beeler, Bob Dolin, Ken Rubin and others. I gave two presentations: Brief history and current status of HL7 Version 2; and HL7—Supporting Profiling & Enforcing Organizations Other Standards Development Organizations. If anyone has any interest, the slides should be available on the HL7 web site.
      2. The HIMSS meeting was followed by an Open Health Tools Technical meeting on Wednesday afternoon and an OHT Board meeting on Thursday April 9th. Many individuals and organizations reported progress on various projects. Of note: The NHS reported posting their Static RIM Modeler to the OHT web site; The VA and IBM reported good progress on adding CDA templating capabilities to RUP and making the utilities and add-ons available when complete to the OHT web site.
      3. Last week V3 Harmonization, the Attachments WG, and the ArB all held out-of-cycle meetings in Las Vegas Nevada. Meetings occurred Tuesday through Friday. The ArB will report on their specific progress on the TSC call on April 20.
      4. I am on vacation this week and will be attending the ISO TC215 meetings in Edinburgh that start on April 26 and continue through May 1.
    3. ArB Report – John reported on the Las Vegas meeting. Minutes in the usual place; Friday’s not available yet. Discussed issues around alpha projects, project management etc. ArB needs to be intimately involved, what’s expected, support with identification of artifacts expected. What needs to be balloted short-term versus long-term. Don’t want to get mixed up with putting everything into current ballot format in the short term. Marc’s list includes CTS2. ArB needs to identify artifacts to them.
      • EA IP rollout impacts on organizational infrastructure also discussed. Core principles rolled into SAEAF document. HDF moving forward – to propose artifacts as milestones on HDF process. Quinn says next focus is to support architecture rollout process. Artifacts, slide decks, for those teams wanting to be alpha projects. Publication management for these artifacts.
      • Question on date for deliverables for use by pilot projects – documents available on GForge. Not enough time to get documents in line with slide decks; need to use them as they’re developed. Next step is the more comprehensive approach. At 400 pages, it’s now a book and needs to be managed with the different chapters. What about chapters managed by different groups? Alignment with SAEAF i.e. HDF, is currently as a Powerpoint document; actual documents are trailing. Eventually the architecture will be stable and the methodology will continue to evolve over time.
      • At Kyoto TSC needs to identify the artifact documents and their approval process. Need to build architectural governance versus domain governance. ArB meetings focused on rollout projects needing guidance. Example NCI, VA and DOD projects that are external wish to come under SAEAF compliance, how to bring them in – what do they need as compared to internal projects? ArB does not expect to be the sponsoring work group for these projects; other WG have generally accepted responsibility. If no one will come forward ArB will sponsor if needed.
      • Need to know more specifics on agenda for Saturday TSC meeting in Kyoto. Need to capture concerns and priorities. We’ll put out a draft agenda.
    4. John Quinn left the call at this point.
    5. Affiliates Report – Ravi sent a question on MIE2009 in Sarajevo but has not heard anything. Helen has asked for agenda items for Sunday Affiliates’ meeting. Quite calm at the moment. Ravi finding it difficult to get feedback. Helen will add as joint TSC agenda item on how to participate/engage with TSC.
    6. Domain Experts -
      • Request to Publish Informative document: SPLr4 Implementation Guide request at TSC Tracker #1051, unanimously approved.
      • Austin asked Jim Case to join a call before Kyoto; decide how TSC will allow Jim to participate for DESD in Kyoto. Austin made a motion, seconded by Ed second to make Jim Case an ad-hoc TSC member on a temporary basis – this was unanimously approved.
      • Helen has joined; asks for Skype access at the Kyoto Saturday meeting. ACTION ITEM: Lynn will follow up to determine what is available.
    7. Foundation & Technology – Ioana will not be in Kyoto but Woody will be there.
    8. Structure & Semantic Design -
      • Dissolution of Work Group request - Scheduling and Logistics, see request at TSC Tracker #878, unanimously approved.
      • Procedural issues with Care Provision: Clinical Documents, see TSC Tracker # 1050; Don Lloyd reviewed the issues. Ballot was reduced to a for-comment only ballot last Friday. Austin spoke with William to get a project into Project Insight working with Dave Hamill. The project pre-dates our tracking system. Austin thought TSC should make clear statement that these grandfathered projects should be added into Project Insight to go back through the Steering Division and TSC. Noted that NIBs not tied to a PSS should be flagged for TSC review; Don noted that NIB now requires a Project Insight (PI) ID number; although there is no automatic audit of the reference to ensure that the identified PI number is related to the project.
      • Austin proposes that we adopt a TSC process to review NIB list by Steering Division for audit prior to TSC approval.
      • MOTION: made by Austin, with Calvin second; SD reps do a review of the ballots from their SD to determine if ballots are consistent with the projects they are associated with.
      • Discussion ensued: If inconsistencies are identified we provide feedback to the work group of what needs to be clarified. Don will also look more closely at the co-sponsor work group assignments. He asked how we identify conflicts between developing different standards (as in the CDA issue for SD/Patient care here addressed).
      • Unanimously approved. Ravi suggests we revisit this agenda item in Kyoto.
    9. Technical & Support Services - no meeting.
  3. (30 min) Discussion topics
    • Proposal for TSC Actionable National Initiative Plan 2009 Scope Statement, at TSC Tracker # 1001
    • Agenda for May2009 WGM in Kyoto
      • Candidates for Nominations Committee: Ken made the motion, seconded by Austin for Calvin’s nomination; unanimously approved.
      • Under open issues review; add the ballot process discussion
      • Return comments by email on the agenda.
    • Open Issues List

Future Agenda item list

Click for TSC Action Item List