2009-03-23 TSC Call Minutes

From HL7 TSC
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC - Technical Steering Committee

Monday, March 23, 2009 11:00 AM (US Eastern Daylight Time, GMT -4)
To participate, dial 770-657-9270 and enter pass code 124466#
GoToMeeting at https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/165215206
GoToMeeting ID: 165-215-206 

back to TSC Minutes and Agendas



  • Chair: Charlie McCay
  • CTO: John Quinn
  • Domain Experts: Austin Kreisler (primary), Ed Tripp (alternate)
  • Foundation & Technology: Ioana Singureanu (primary), Woody Beeler (alternate)
  • Structure & Semantic Design: Calvin Beebe (primary), Gregg Seppala (alternate)
  • Technical & Support Services: Ken McCaslin (primary), Helen Stevens Love (alternate)
  • Affiliate: Ravi Natarajan
  • ARB: Charlie Mead (primary), John Koisch (alternate)
  • HQ: Karen Van Hentenryck, Lynn Laakso


  • Charles Jaffe (CEO)
  • Ed Hammond (HL7 Chair); Bob Dolin (HL7 Vice Chair)
  • Marc Koehn (EA IP)
  • Frieda Hall


  • Helen Stevens Love
  • Woody Beeler


  1. (5 min) Meeting Admin
    1. Roll Call - The following individuals joined the call: Calvin Beebe, John Koisch, Austin Kreisler, Lynn Laakso, Ken McCaslin, Charlie McCay, Ravi Natarajan, John Quinn, Gregg Seppala, and Ioana Singureanu
    2. Accept Agenda – approved without change
    3. Approve Minutes from 2009-03-16_TSC_Call_Minutes – unanimously approved.
    4. Review action items
      • Austin will touch base with Woody on proposal for ballot level coordination with ISO/JIC.
      • Ken referred request for WG Conference call meeting minutes to PIC who intend to add recommendations to the co-chairs handbook so no further action needed at this time.
  2. (20 min) Standing Committee Reports/Approvals
    1. CEO Report – no report
    2. CTO Report – For the last couple weeks he's been working on a financial plan for the U.S. Government – and is committed to more work this week. Need tooling plan and pricing, in a form more digestible to general government folks looking at financing rather than technical aspects. He spent a couple days with SOA – HSSP in D.C., and time in HL7 office where we're preparing for HIMSS.
      • EA IP Update; next call is tomorrow – reviewing selection criteria for alpha projects, modeling as-is to prepare for to-be. Project may be in jeopardy for May.
    3. ArB Report – ArB is preparing for f2f meeting in April; working with Marc Koehn to support EA IP. John Q. to forward comments on SAEAF he received.
    4. Affiliates Report – Ravi says it’s calm at the moment. Nothing to report. Outstanding collaboration with Helen- will resend email thread.
    5. Domain Experts -
      • Request for extension of DSTU trial period: CTLabR2 DSTU [1] TSC Tracker # 995: unanimously approved.
      • Request to publish DSTU: PHER - Immunization (POIZ) [2] TSC Tracker # 1002: unanimously approved.
      • Discuss request to co-chairs - invite those WG not having 3-year plan within reasonable timeframe to attend an upcoming TSC meeting to discuss the obstacles preventing the development of a plan for their work group. Approach was generally accepted. If this doesn’t work by the time of the MayWGM, will approach them personally, individually. Will forward the draft to the TSC list for all SD to use. Not really for use by Affiliates, more for Work Groups, unless the Affiliate Council should choose to create a three-year plan for activities like education and outreach.
      • Jim Case will be in Kyoto, and will act as interim SD lead for that WGM. How is this ratified.
        • Action Item:Lynn will check the GOM or DMPs for options, temporary chair, alternate. Present the options next week. Ioana can help.
    6. Foundation & Technology – no call last week, nothing specific to report.
    7. Structure & Semantic Design -
      • SSD SD Project Approval: Clinical Genomics - Project Proposal (attachment) on Genetic Testing Reports (tabled from 2009-03-16) [3] TSC Tracker # 917. Invite them to submit to the TSC for next week a statement of issues. They received email from Hans on process to make ongoing resolution of issues. Bob had concerns about withdrawing it. Hans could mediate. Calvin will ask them to update PSS to note resolution process and bring it back. More work groups should be evident as co-sponsors, including Patient Care, Clinical Statement, Terminfo, etc. Not all work groups participated on the conference call last week to discuss.
    8. Technical & Support Services -
      • Review/Approve Web Strategy Roadmap, at TSC Tracker # 1004; reviewed web strategy; generally approved. John mentioned hiring a new web programmer starting April 1. First assignment is to set up the product description summary pages.
  3. (30 min) Discussion topics
    • Approval of TSC internal projects – See draft TSC Three-Year-Plan. TSC Internal projects have not been formally approved by the TSC -
      1. TSC Actionable National Initiative Plan 2009 Scope Statement, at TSC Tracker # 1001; looking for lead for the project. As the financial team talks to U.S. Gov’t, and other national initiatives make their plans, and helsignor initiative makes its plans, then HL7 has a package to offer. How do we organize the delivery of those commissioned projects and how they would work alongside the other HL7 work. What is that value proposition; how does hl7 work with these groups to deliver.
        • Need two or three people to drive the project, and a group to review documents every couple of weeks. Editors/leaders small group, and small consultation group. Calvin to look to see who he can find and get back to us next week. Ken has been asked to step up to HITSP panel and it makes sense for him to join this. Will consider a core facilitator role.
      2. Product Visibility Scope Statement, at TSC Tracker #999; web programmer coming on board – need to develop content for him to publish. This effort distinguished from advertising/marketing rather than product marketing. Product services already looking into developing cover sheets on documents: on who owns, why being published. Looking for eventual product briefs. Need Meta-documentation to go along with a publication and standardized briefs for people looking for information. New web site should have this integrated into search capabilities. Intended more for those new to HL7, PEOs, business analysts. Are we looking across all information sources, wiki sites? Can link to wiki sites for the detail we already have, what we’re missing is the high-level stuff. This what people from the outside need to see, not to index what we’ve got. We want to answer “does HL7 have what I need” not direct them to download the whole V3 standard. This is Marketing to those who aren’t familiar with HL7. Ultimately link to specific parts of the standards. Ravi refers to intelligent forms, depending into the type of questions they ask can provide intelligent questions to direct them to the correct information. Unanimously approved as TSC project.
        • Draft product matrix; review by SDs, also in reference to ISO/JIC, align with landscape project with SCO. Discussion on how to address “islands” like CCOW and Arden that sit outside the domain of V2 or V3.
    • TSC Forms for "Request to Publish" - updates identified TSC Tracker # 986 Per Chuck Meyer's email on the listserv, form changes for compliance with the GOM
    • Agenda topics for May2009WGM in Kyoto– think about for next week.
      • TSC appointments to the Nominations Committee – think about for next week.

Adjourned at 12:00 PM EDT.

Future Agenda item list

Click for TSC Action Item List