T3SD ConCall-20130128

From HL7 TSC
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Back to Agendas and minutes


  • 2012-2013 Board Liaisons - Congratulations new and returning Board Liaisons
Quorum Requirements (Chair +4 SD Reps for "decision making") or (Chair +3 SD Reps for "direction setting") Met: Yes
Attendee Name Affiliation
X Andy Stechishin HL7 T3SD Co-Chair
X Freida Hall HL7 T3SD Co-Chair
Diego Kaminker Education
X Melva Peters (Board Liaison) Education
Patrick Loyd Education
Bill Braithwaite Electronic Services
Lorraine Constable (Board Liaison) Electronic Services
Regrets Ken McCaslin Electronic Services
Nat Wong Electronic Services
Diego Kaminker International Mentoring
X John Ritter (Board Liaison) International Mentoring
X Rita Scichilone Process Improvement
Sandy Stuart (Board Liaison) Process Improvement
Rick Haddorff (Board Liaison) Project Services
X Freida Hall Project Services
Woody Beeler Publishing
Jane Curry (Board Liaison) Publishing
Jane Daus Publishing
X Brian Pech Publishing
X Andy Stechishin Publishing
Sandy Stuart Publishing
Jane Curry (Board Liaison) Tooling
X Andy Stechishin Tooling
Michael Van der Zel Tooling
X Dave Hamill (non voting) HL7 PMO Office
X Lynn Laakso (guest) TSC Project Manager

Meeting Admin

  1. Roll Call
  2. Approve Agenda -
  3. Approve Meeting Minutes -
    • 2012-12-17 call – Motion to approve by Melva, seconded by Freida: Against-0; Abstain-0, motion carried unanimously.
    • 2013-01-14 WGM (pending) – Andy has a few edits left; will email T3SD list when ready
  4. Work Group Updates
    • Education
      • Melva reported the Fundamentals of HL7 class begins in March. Facilitator Training project under way, Education met with Vocabulary WG in Phoenix. Different WGs need to develop the materials which may delay the project dates. Tutorial speakers must submit tutorial specifications each time the tutorial is given or may incur financial penalty. Speakers are required to take Heather Grain’s tutorial: “How to Design and Deliver an HL7 Tutorial” which is offered at the WGMs and a webinar will be developed. The IMC met with Education WG in Phoenix, requested to work with Marketing and Education to develop/distribute items to assist low income countries.
    • Electronic Services
      • Not on the call
    • International Mentoring
      • John reported on updates from the WGM and will forward additional detail to be included in the minutes (below). International Mentoring Committee (IMC) is considering how to get HL7 experts to countries to speak/assist with HL7; researching creating a “bucket” of unused miles to use for this purpose.
      • AFRICA and LMIC approaches:
        • Rather than attempt to launch an HL7 Affiliate in a certain country, it might be better to target the benefactors and collaborate with them to introduce the need for standards (as a condition of receiving the grant). However, HL7 standards alone are insufficient; a collaboration of standards development organizations (SDOs) are needed – along with the ability to provide education and the resulting capacity-building.
        • OpenSource approaches are currently being used (in Africa), that use HL7 standards – though those developers are not directly associated with HL7 (as per an “HL7 Affiliate”).
      • International Council report: During the International Council on Sunday, January 13, 2013 the International Mentoring Committee (IMC) offered a report and asked the IC to recommend IMC targets for 2013.
        • Low and Middle Income Country (LMIC) settings in Asia, Latin America, South America.
        • Africa: Consider the efforts and collaborations that are occurring among World Health Organization (WHO), United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), international telecommunication union (ITU), etc. WHO held a conference in Geneva in December 2012; HL7 was well-represented; WHO is continuing to make progress in the LMIC arena.
        • Continue liaising with other organizations. International Organization for Standardization (ISO) Technical Committee (TC) 215, Joint Initiative Council (JIC), and Public Health Task Force continue to extend an open door to IMC.
        • Consider building a database of tailorable LMIC-related “templates” that target standards, implementation guides, etc.
        • Investigate a collaboration / synergy with the “OpenSource” community (because the OpenSource community often offers solutions for LMICs and those solutions sometimes utilize HL7 standards). Note: Jane Curry is the HL7 liaison to OpenHealthTools. The IMC should begin to examine the OHT projects and their community’s approaches and solutions.
      • Discussion:
        • Health Information Technology (HIT) solutions or implementation guides must be able to be tailored according to a “maturity model” (that specifies varying levels of infrastructures, communication technologies, cross- human language communication, caregiver-workers, caregiving-institutions, medication supplies, laboratories, etc.).
        • There is a critical need to ensure that a mechanism is in place to track the usages of any monies that are used in (presumably) creating and deploying HIT systems.
        • There is a need for (developed and developing) countries to discover HL7’s standards.
        • Projects must be Strategic and Sustainable. (For an example, see the Rwanda project (Mead Walker, Jane Curry, Derek Ritz)).
    • Process Improvement
      • Rita reported PIC met at the WGM and are continuing work on the resource directory job match with plans to author a newsletter articile and invite First Time Attendees to provide profiles. PIC also analyzed results of a recent survey to co-chairs who resigned (or did not run for re-election). 4 of 13 responded; Andy noted this was a very good response rate. Rita will provide survey analysis details for the mintues.
        • Survey for departing Co-Chairs – Four (4) respondents out of 13 responded
        • Summarization of the results was accomplished by review:
          • Four co-chairs leaving their positions participated – all were from different work groups and no one indicated that they were co-chairing any other work group
          • Expression of the most compelling/rewarding aspect of serving included:
            • The exposure to the company (employer)
            • Being involved with advancing important projects forward
            • Resolving challenges
          • When asked about what will be missed the response were similar – all responses were linked to people, communication and information sharing
          • Reason for resignation was due to:
            • Job changes and/or time constraints
            • Personal reasons
            • Budget constraints
        • Suggestions offered by respondents:
          • “HL7 should supply much better support in administrative tasks”
          • “Grading for co-chairs…. In collaboration and facilitation…….5 votes should not a Co-Chair make”.
        • The consensus of the Committee was that no specific actions are required – a report should be developed for the TSC of the summarization. It may be helpful to investigate possible reasons why “no votes” for co-chair elections happens (which occurred in the WG3 meeting in Phoenix).
    • Project Services
      • Freida reported Project Services launched the survey re: Project Management in a Volunteer Organization. This is in conjunction with a student of Dr. Phillip Scott (HL7 UK). Dave commented responses are nearing 60 participants. The survey is open through Friday, February 15th available at: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HL7PjtMgmtSurvey
      • The 2013 PSS was released but already pending update resulting from the recent American National Standards Institute (ANSI) audit; Work Groups will be required to update their PSS and notify the TSC when they take the project to “Normative”. This is to support notification to ANSI at appropriate time, e.g. Normative.
    • Publishing
      • V2 – Brian reported V2.8 passed ballot, some items are being deferred to V2.9. Publishing is now expecting “owning” Work Groups resolution to V2.8 ballot comments. Andy asked status of the data base project; Brian reported it has not moved ahead. Brian plans to draft a one page recommendation document.
      • V3 – Andy reported Tooling met two quarters at the WGM, worked on trouble shooting problems on past ballots and planning for the next ballot cycle. Harmonization (March 5-8) overlaps with HIMSS and may be rescheduled to avoid the conflict.
    • Tooling
      • Andy reported Tooling had good participation at the WGM. They are tracking numerous items including the Tooling Challenge; submissions closeout May2013, entries judged over summer with winner announced at September 2013 Plenary WGM. EHR-S FM project moving forward. Tooling strategy presented to the TSC and John Quinn also informed the Board. Tooling will now shift to focus on communication.
    • Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR) Management
      • Brian reported FHIR has reviewed results of the connect-a-than at the WGM and plan another for the May WGM, hoping for 20 participants. They also discussed liaison tasks and approved a petition for Immunization FHIR resource. FHIR is moving ahead rapidly.
  5. Project Review
  6. TSC meeting Report -
    • Published weekly to Co-Chairs list and in eNews. Any questions?
      • http://hl7tsc.org/wiki/index.php?title=TSC_Minutes_and_Agendas
      • Product Line Architecture representative, requires estimated 4-5 hours effort; communicate progress to SD members - Brian Pech volunteered to represent T3SD and report back to the Steering Division.
      • TSC requested input on list of “machine processable artifacts” that are aids in implementing and controlled by HL7, e.g. V2.x contains 2.x database and set of schemas - Machine Processable artifacts may become a member advantage when the new Intellectual property policies become effective, but still under discussion.
      • The TSC updated their ballot guidance document which is referenced by the 2013 PSS; need a permalink to this document.
  7. New Business - None.
  8. Adjourned 2:39 pm.