2011-08-17 Activities SDO Call Minutes
|HL7 Activities with Other SDOs
Location: +1 (702) 894-2444, Participant Code: 7124466
|Date: 2011-08-17 |
Time: 9:00 AM U.S. Eastern
|Facilitator: Austin Kreisler||Note taker(s): Lynn Laakso|
|x||Austin Kreisler||HL7 TSC Chair|
|x||Lynn Laakso||HL7 staff support|
|Quorum Requirements (Chair +5 with 2 SD Reps) Met: n/a|
The purpose of this conference call is to discuss how to make the HL7 Activities with Other SDO's session at the working group meetings more useful for both the presenters and participants.
- The listserv discussed at the last meeting is available for subscription as firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Strategic Planning Process
- Establish panel?
- As we discussed on the prior call, we want to structure the San Diego in the form of a panel discussion focused on establishing a strategic planning process across SDO's. We will want to identify the panelists and agree to a basic agenda for the panel.
- Attendees today are different from those that were on the prior call, who were interested in organizing that activity.
- Ken asks the purpose of the panel and the intent of the outcome. Austin felt it was strategic planning for coordination across SDOs. John Quinn sits on the JIC and SCO but Keith notes they don’t fully cover HL7 relationships for example IHE or IEEE don’t sit on JIC. LOINC and SNOMED are other examples. Ken asks why those groups don’t join the JIC or SCO. Ken feels the panel is subdividing those organizations providing coordination. Keith suggests that we’re trying to improve coordination.
- Austin notes that JIC emerged from this type of activity in the past. However in recent cycles it has devolved to a report-out. The panel is an attempt to do more. There may be a conclusion drawn by the panel that we should encourage these other groups to join JIC but it should be discussed. We’d like to have participants from the other members of JIC on the panel but getting their participation is tough. Ken asks if they don’t see value of it, or don’t know they’re part of that group. Those that have liaison responsibilities may have different reasons, notes Austin.
- Keith notes that there is little training or guidance on definition of role for a liaison. He knows he’s expected to be present at this report-out. Keith thinks there are more things that should be involved in the liaison role and would like to see some strategic planning and better use of the persons in those roles. He admits that Sunday is not the best time.
- Conflicts with committee work during the WGM week, presence of participants from the International Council meeting, and other factors were discussed. Keith notes that other events during the week receive promotion by word of mouth, which a Sunday meeting doesn’t enjoy. Such a mechanism for communication with a wider HL7 body would strengthen the liaison role. Austin notes we could meet more regularly between WGM for that purpose as well, a webinar series for liaisons to communicate what the liaisons are doing, addressing them as a council like other Board –appointed committees, or encouraging communication between the liaisons themselves.
- Ed suggests we get the communication package determined from the liaison group, for what comes out of the effort, separate from the coordination activities between liaisons. Austin agrees that dividing the coordination activity from the communication activity makes a lot of sense. The coordination activity has kind of fallen to the wayside in favor of using the Sunday WGM time for the communication activity and we’d like to bring that back. Discussion of broadening coordination efforts may include ideas for broadening JIC.
- Keith volunteers to be on the panel. Ken would be happy to help but bandwidth is an issue. Ed also volunteers his services. Austin notes John Quinn will be on the panel as well. Tim Buxton had replied that he would be willing to serve on the panel. We’ll have another call for the panel members to organize the panel in two weeks on the 31st. Austin will send out an email to request specific volunteers for the panel and they can attend the call to nail down the agenda. A description from John of the JIC as a coordination activity as opposed to what work is going on today, same for SCO, would give some context. Rita notes that her organization is new secretariat for ISO TC 215 and in the position is Lisa Spellman (replaces Audrey’s function) – they’re now calling it Cross SDO Coordination Advisory Group.
- The listserv is available for subscription as email@example.com.
Adjourned 9:30 AM EDT
|Actions (Include Owner, Action Item, and due date)|
|Next Meeting/Preliminary Agenda Items|