T3F Cologne Deliverable
- 1 Report to HL7 Board from Transitional Technical Task Force
- 1.1 Introduction
- 1.2 Mission
- 1.3 Responsibilities (Virginia)
- 1.4 Composition (Woody - based on minutes)
- 1.5 Relationships (Woody - based on minutes)
- 1.6 Decision Making Practices (Jim)
- 1.7 Tactical Plan to Establish Technical Directorate (Craig)
- 1.8 Project Plan for Architecture (Berndt)
Report to HL7 Board from Transitional Technical Task Force
The following documents the recommendations of the Technical Transition Task Force (T3F) with regards to completing the definition of the Technical Directorate and proceeding to establish same.
The T3F began work in earnest at the Winter Working Group Meeting in January 2007. The T3F met three times face-to-face at that meeting and have held a conference call every week but one since then. The group used a number of sources in its efforts -- Strategic Initiative documents, ORC reports, work from the project life-cycle team, etc. In addition, the group has benefited greatly by having consistent attendance at its meetings from the TSC (Quinn and Hammond), the ARB (Walker) and the project life-cycle group (McCaslin), and wishes to thank each of these groups for their support.
Early on in its efforts, the T3F determined that its primary initial task was to provide a complete definition of the roles and composition of the Technical Directorate that could be adopted at the May Working Group Meeting. This would afford the opportunity to review these recommendations in Cologne and allow the Technical Directorate to be formed as rapidly as possible thereafter.
Mission Statement (Woody)
The HL7 Technical Directorate oversees and coordinates the technical effort contributed by the HL7 volunteers who make up the HL7 Working Group. Its mission is to assure that the efforts of the Working Group are focused on the overall HL7 mission established by the HL7 Board.
The Technical Directorate and the HL7 Working Group operate in such a way so as to:
- respect the contributions and ideas of the talented individuals who make up the Working Group;
- maintain an effective focus on the goals of HL7;
- assure that the all major decisions are based on consensus of the stakeholders;
- maximize sharing and "re-use" of work products between elements of the Working Group;
- use project management to assure that project goals are articulated and met;
- reduce competition and conflict between the elements of the Working Group; and
- assure that HL7 standards are developed on a solid architectural foundation that assures consistency and interoperability.
The Technical Directorate criteria for success must center around three concepts -- assuring the continuity and vitality of the HL7 volunteer-based Working Group; maintaining coherent inter-operable standards while minimizing duplication of effort; and providing sound consensus-based standards that meet the needs and schedule requirements of HL7's clients.