Difference between revisions of "Concall-20081208"

From HL7 TSC
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(New page: TSC - Technical Steering Committee Monday, December 8, 2008 11:00 AM (US Eastern Time, GMT -5) To participate, dial 770-657-9270 and enter pass code 124466# GoToMeeting at https://www....)
 
 
(11 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 8: Line 8:
 
=Attendance=
 
=Attendance=
 
== Expected ==
 
== Expected ==
* Chair: Charlie McKay
+
* Chair: Charlie McCay
 
* CTO: John Quinn  
 
* CTO: John Quinn  
 
* Domain Experts:  Jim Case (primary), Austin Kreisler (alternate)
 
* Domain Experts:  Jim Case (primary), Austin Kreisler (alternate)
Line 22: Line 22:
  
 
== Apologies ==
 
== Apologies ==
* Jim Case, DE SD
+
*Calvin Beebe, SSD SD
 +
*Jim Case, DE SD
 +
*Ken McCaslin TSS SD
 +
*John Quinn, CTO
 +
* Ioana Singureanu, FT SD
 
=Agenda=
 
=Agenda=
#'''''(5 min)'' Meeting Admin'''  
+
#''''' Meeting Admin'''  
##Roll Call -
+
##Roll Call - The following individuals joined the call: Woody Beeler, John Koisch, Austin Kreisler, Lynn Laakso, Charlie McCay, Charlie Mead, Frank Oemig, Helen Stevens Love, Gregg Seppala, Ed Tripp, and Karen Van Hentenryck
##Accept Agenda -  
+
##Accept Agenda - accepted
##Approve Minutes from [[concall-20081201]] -
+
##Approve Minutes from [[concall-20081124]] - unanimously approved
##Review action items -
+
##Review action items
 +
##*Charlie McCay – proposed closure for [http://hl7projects.hl7.nscee.edu/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=719&group_id=52&atid=313 TSC Tracker # 719] “Project Approval and Overlap” unanimously approved
 
#'''''(20 min)'' Standing Committee Reports/Approvals'''
 
#'''''(20 min)'' Standing Committee Reports/Approvals'''
## CEO Report -  
+
## CEO Report - none
## CTO Report -  
+
## CTO Report –  [http://hl7projects.hl7.nscee.edu/docman/view.php/52/434/CTOReport12-08.doc]
## ArB Report -
+
##*Comment- tooling discussion summary going back to Tooling committee for further discussion.
## Affiliates Report -
+
## ArB Report – discussion on SAEAF.
## Domain Experts -  
+
##*Comment: NCI willing to fund Jane Curry as liaison OHT with HL7 1 day/wk
## Foundation & Technology -
+
## Affiliates Report – The Medica fair, HL7 Germany booth, had lots of visitors.  There were questions noted on how to incorporate devices.  The TSC should continue their outreach efforts, and encourage international affiliates to review Projects, Products and WG for their areas of interest and get involved.
 +
## Domain Experts
 +
##*Project Approval: Clinical Trial Registration and Results (CTR&R) [http://hl7projects.hl7.nscee.edu/tracker/download.php/52/313/843/600/HL7%20Project%20Scope%20-%20Clinical%20Trials%20Registration%20and%20Results.doc] tabled for next week
 +
##*ACS DAM project [http://hl7projects.hl7.nscee.edu/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=827&group_id=52&atid=313] that was tabled by the TSC a couple of weeks ago, we have been corresponding with the CIC co-chairs regarding the project. CIC is now trying to identify a work group willing to develop standards based on the proposed DAM. The CIC creation of DAMs is intended as a product of clinical input working towards the goal of improved clinical engagement; but without a more concrete product deliverable (for suppliers and vendors) will it disappoint HL7 and clinical participants. 
 +
## Foundation & Technology – has not met, has no report.
 
## Structure & Semantic Design -  
 
## Structure & Semantic Design -  
## Technical & Support Services -   
+
##*Project Approval: HL7 GELLO v.2 Syntax Re-Ballot (TSC Tracker # 823)[http://hl7projects.hl7.nscee.edu/tracker/download.php/52/313/823/596/2008MAY_PROJSCOPE_CDS_Barb_McKinnon_Gello_Syntax_Revisions.doc], on current ballot (listed Informative, but may actually be meant to be Draft for Comment) but missed TSC approval step.  ACTION ITEM: Gregg to follow up with WG and Don on TSC-recommended change to ballot status; Project approved pending action item follow up.
 +
## Technical & Support Services -  has not met since last meeting
 
#'''''(30 min)'' Discussion topics'''
 
#'''''(30 min)'' Discussion topics'''
 +
#*Lynn's [[TSC_ProjectManager_objectives|objectives]] and [[TSC_ProjectManager_jobdescription|job description]] (5 min)
 +
#**Prior work group health documents exist for DESD and SSD, but not the others.  TSS does not really lend itself to that format.
 +
#**Question on mission/charter statements: Work groups will be revising mission/charter statements as they come up for review in their work groups.  TSC Recommendation: best practices example to review and update (not rewrite) once a year, at the plenary meeting, the work group’s mission, charter, SWOT, 3-year plan, and DMP documents.  Promotion of best practice can be done through policy and statement in co-chair handbook.
 +
#*What’s happening with the ArB, Architecture implementation, TSC Tracker # 747 [http://hl7projects.hl7.nscee.edu/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=747&group_id=52&atid=313] - what does the TSC need to do?
 +
#**The relationship between ARB and HSSP
 +
#**Domain analysis models as static semantic; that representation has a place in framework.  Behavioral or dynamic semantics is another component.  If adopted, where does DAM fit?  We don’t have a historical place to fit it in, formally.
 +
#**In HL7 community artifacts can take 2 directions: BRIDG is not formalized, unlike Immunization DAM, which has behavioral framework elements.
 +
#**How to solve problem of too many DAMs and are they incompatible between similar business areas. Reference material is put out by HL7 in other areas, and is considered valid.  Does a DAM need to be balloted or just referenced in balloted artifacts? Is there a place for an overarching DAM or not, within HL7.  If so, need careful consideration of how to create, who has input, and what its impact is.
 +
#**Immunization DAM is best approach for domain topic.  Does this mean it doesn’t matter if there are too many?  Then each has a place, not to worry about coherence. Comes down to testable interoperability, what is the standpoint of DAM, can’t be too many.
 +
#**Identified need for Venn diagram, high level map to show where they potentially overlap or touch. OO attempting to build higher level orders model, with notion of Clinical Statement, overarching multiple committees. They are performing analysis of content of domains.
 +
#**Critical activity; TSC and ArB: does TSC want ArB to give educational tutorial on status and progress of SAEAF; or will it raise more questions than answers.  Tutorial is wanted, just needs to be framed correctly. There is nothing wrong with complete SAEAF report, need to point out there are overlapping areas between WG.  Slides are good for summary of work of ArB on topic, cancelling it would be a bad signal. 
 +
#**ACTION ITEM: Charlie McCay - Make a direct request from HL7 to Dennis Goikas for Orlando.
 +
#**There was identified the opportunity to have a session for TSC on architecture impacts, perhaps in Saturday’s session, in conjunction with Mark Koehn?
 +
#**Weds meeting topic suggestion: functional integration of SAEAF into methodology, rather than organizational implication, e.g.,impact on publishing. TSC will dedicate ¼ of retreat on this issue.
  
 +
Adjourn 12:01pm
  
 
=[[TSC Agenda item list|Agenda item list (our sand box for future meetings)]]=
 
=[[TSC Agenda item list|Agenda item list (our sand box for future meetings)]]=
 
=[[TSC Action item list|Click for TSC Action Item List]]=
 
=[[TSC Action item list|Click for TSC Action Item List]]=

Latest revision as of 17:31, 15 December 2008

TSC - Technical Steering Committee

Monday, December 8, 2008 11:00 AM (US Eastern Time, GMT -5)
To participate, dial 770-657-9270 and enter pass code 124466#
GoToMeeting at https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/822618174
GoToMeeting ID: 822-618-174 

back to TSC Minutes and Agendas

Attendance

Expected

  • Chair: Charlie McCay
  • CTO: John Quinn
  • Domain Experts: Jim Case (primary), Austin Kreisler (alternate)
  • Foundation & Technology: Ioana Singureanu (primary), Woody Beeler (alternate)
  • Structure & Semantic Design: Calvin Beebe (primary), Gregg Seppala (alternate)
  • Technical & Support Services: Ken McCaslin (primary), Helen Stevens Love (alternate)
  • Affiliate: Frank Oemig,
  • ARB Chair: Charlie Mead
  • HQ: Karen Van Hentenryck, Lynn Laakso

Invited

  • Charles Jaffe (CEO); Ed Hammond (HL7 Chair); Chuck Meyer (HL7 Vice Chair); Ed Tripp (newly elected TSC member); Ravi Natarajan (newly elected TSC member)

Apologies

  • Calvin Beebe, SSD SD
  • Jim Case, DE SD
  • Ken McCaslin TSS SD
  • John Quinn, CTO
  • Ioana Singureanu, FT SD

Agenda

  1. Meeting Admin
    1. Roll Call - The following individuals joined the call: Woody Beeler, John Koisch, Austin Kreisler, Lynn Laakso, Charlie McCay, Charlie Mead, Frank Oemig, Helen Stevens Love, Gregg Seppala, Ed Tripp, and Karen Van Hentenryck
    2. Accept Agenda - accepted
    3. Approve Minutes from concall-20081124 - unanimously approved
    4. Review action items –
      • Charlie McCay – proposed closure for TSC Tracker # 719 “Project Approval and Overlap” unanimously approved
  2. (20 min) Standing Committee Reports/Approvals
    1. CEO Report - none
    2. CTO Report – [1]
      • Comment- tooling discussion summary going back to Tooling committee for further discussion.
    3. ArB Report – discussion on SAEAF.
      • Comment: NCI willing to fund Jane Curry as liaison OHT with HL7 1 day/wk
    4. Affiliates Report – The Medica fair, HL7 Germany booth, had lots of visitors. There were questions noted on how to incorporate devices. The TSC should continue their outreach efforts, and encourage international affiliates to review Projects, Products and WG for their areas of interest and get involved.
    5. Domain Experts –
      • Project Approval: Clinical Trial Registration and Results (CTR&R) [2] tabled for next week
      • ACS DAM project [3] that was tabled by the TSC a couple of weeks ago, we have been corresponding with the CIC co-chairs regarding the project. CIC is now trying to identify a work group willing to develop standards based on the proposed DAM. The CIC creation of DAMs is intended as a product of clinical input working towards the goal of improved clinical engagement; but without a more concrete product deliverable (for suppliers and vendors) will it disappoint HL7 and clinical participants.
    6. Foundation & Technology – has not met, has no report.
    7. Structure & Semantic Design -
      • Project Approval: HL7 GELLO v.2 Syntax Re-Ballot (TSC Tracker # 823)[4], on current ballot (listed Informative, but may actually be meant to be Draft for Comment) but missed TSC approval step. ACTION ITEM: Gregg to follow up with WG and Don on TSC-recommended change to ballot status; Project approved pending action item follow up.
    8. Technical & Support Services - has not met since last meeting
  3. (30 min) Discussion topics
    • Lynn's objectives and job description (5 min)
      • Prior work group health documents exist for DESD and SSD, but not the others. TSS does not really lend itself to that format.
      • Question on mission/charter statements: Work groups will be revising mission/charter statements as they come up for review in their work groups. TSC Recommendation: best practices example to review and update (not rewrite) once a year, at the plenary meeting, the work group’s mission, charter, SWOT, 3-year plan, and DMP documents. Promotion of best practice can be done through policy and statement in co-chair handbook.
    • What’s happening with the ArB, Architecture implementation, TSC Tracker # 747 [5] - what does the TSC need to do?
      • The relationship between ARB and HSSP
      • Domain analysis models as static semantic; that representation has a place in framework. Behavioral or dynamic semantics is another component. If adopted, where does DAM fit? We don’t have a historical place to fit it in, formally.
      • In HL7 community artifacts can take 2 directions: BRIDG is not formalized, unlike Immunization DAM, which has behavioral framework elements.
      • How to solve problem of too many DAMs and are they incompatible between similar business areas. Reference material is put out by HL7 in other areas, and is considered valid. Does a DAM need to be balloted or just referenced in balloted artifacts? Is there a place for an overarching DAM or not, within HL7. If so, need careful consideration of how to create, who has input, and what its impact is.
      • Immunization DAM is best approach for domain topic. Does this mean it doesn’t matter if there are too many? Then each has a place, not to worry about coherence. Comes down to testable interoperability, what is the standpoint of DAM, can’t be too many.
      • Identified need for Venn diagram, high level map to show where they potentially overlap or touch. OO attempting to build higher level orders model, with notion of Clinical Statement, overarching multiple committees. They are performing analysis of content of domains.
      • Critical activity; TSC and ArB: does TSC want ArB to give educational tutorial on status and progress of SAEAF; or will it raise more questions than answers. Tutorial is wanted, just needs to be framed correctly. There is nothing wrong with complete SAEAF report, need to point out there are overlapping areas between WG. Slides are good for summary of work of ArB on topic, cancelling it would be a bad signal.
      • ACTION ITEM: Charlie McCay - Make a direct request from HL7 to Dennis Goikas for Orlando.
      • There was identified the opportunity to have a session for TSC on architecture impacts, perhaps in Saturday’s session, in conjunction with Mark Koehn?
      • Weds meeting topic suggestion: functional integration of SAEAF into methodology, rather than organizational implication, e.g.,impact on publishing. TSC will dedicate ¼ of retreat on this issue.

Adjourn 12:01pm

Agenda item list (our sand box for future meetings)

Click for TSC Action Item List