From HL7 TSC
Revision as of 19:46, 30 September 2008 by Karenvan (talk | contribs) (→‎Agenda)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC - Technical Steering Committee

Monday, September 29, 2008 11:00 AM (US Eastern Time, GMT -5)
To participate, dial 770-657-9270 and enter pass code 124466#
GoToMeeting at
GoToMeeting ID: 822-618-174 

back to TSC Minutes and Agendas



  • CTO: John Quinn
  • Domain Experts: Jim Case (primary), Austin Kreisler (alternate)
  • Foundation & Technology: Ioana Singureanu (primary), Woody Beeler (alternate)
  • Structure & Semantic Design: Calvin Beebe (primary), Gregg Seppala (alternate)
  • Technical & Support Services: Ken McCaslin (primary), Helen Stevens Love (alternate)
  • Affiliate: Frank Oemig,
  • ARB Chair: Charlie Mead or John Koisch (ArB alternate)
  • HQ: Karen Van Hentenryck


  • Charles Jaffe (CEO); Ed Hammond (HL7 Chair); Chuck Meyer (HL7 Vice Chair); Ed Tripp (newly elected TSC member); Ravi Natarajan (newly elected TSC member)


  • Charlie Mead
  • Gregg Seppala


  1. (5 min) Meeting Admin
    1. Roll Call - The following individuals joined the call: Ken McCaslin, John Quinn, Charlie McCay, John Koisch, Jim Case, Woody Beeler, Austin Kreisler, Calvin Beebe, Chuck Meyer, Helen Stevens Love, Ioana Singureanu, Frank Oemig (joined late) and Karen Van Hentenryck
    2. Accept Agenda - McCay would like to add the enterprise architecture project to the list of discussion items.
    3. Approve Minutes from
  2. (20 min) Standing Committee Reports/Approvals
    1. CEO Report - No report was submitted
    2. CTO Report - Quinn reported that he spent a fair amount of time last week interviewing candidates for the TSC Analyst position. Quinn and Hammond spent .5 day in Nashville with TN government. Nothing else to report.
    3. ArB Report - John Koish reported that the ArB finalized dates for first two out-of-cycle meetings. The first meeting will convene Oct 12-13 via conference line; the second will be a face-to-face meeting in conjunction in Harmonziation on Nov 12-14. Those meetings will be in Rockville, MD. Dec 4-5 are the dates for the final meeting. The face-to-face meeting will be hosted by NCI. The Octd meeting will be focused on harmonization of open issues that weren't resolved during the WGM: 1) taking next step on behavioral framework. 2) service classificaiton scheme; 3) harmonziation with HSSP.
    4. Affiliates Report - Nothing to report
    5. Domain Experts - Austin Kreisler reported on Motion to accept project scope statement. Another couple of projects have been put forward to the Steering Division.
      • MOTION: Approve the Project Scope Statement for Lab Related CMETs [1]. Seconded by McCaslin. ACTION ITEM: McCaslin will update the process document (as this originated from Project Services) and Van Hentenryck will distribute the project scope to the other Steering Divisions. This motion will be revisted next week once the other Steering Divisions have an opportunity to review the proposal.
    6. Foundation & Technology - Singureanu reported on the following
      • SWOT and Three-year Strategic Plans for FDSD incomplete. She feels people view these items as busy work rather than providing any real value.
      • We need to change the way SDs operate as a rubber stamp to become more deliberative. One such change would be to work with our SD representaitves to the ArB to review the new Architecture Framework for HL7. Jim Case noted that a small number of the Work Groups within the Domain Experts Steering Division comment on the majority of the work. Those co-chairs that take their roles seriously tend to participate. The TSC doesn't want volunteers to be tasked with busy work and they need to understand that this work will improve the structure of the organization. McCay sees the Steering Division function as providing coordination among the Work Groups, whicle the detailed work is delegated to the Work Groups themselves. The main function of the TSC is to ensure that the work is being done rather than being the place where work is being done. Kreisler sees the TSC as arbitrators. He noted that the Domain Experts Steering Division uses email and electronic voting for decisions as they have such a large number of Work Groups. ACTION ITEM: Review the role and definition of the Steering Divisions. ACTION ITEM: Singureanu suggested that we clearly articulate the value of the SWOT and three-year plans. Capture this in Action Item List. If there are no consequences, some WGs won't follow the rules.
    7. Structure & Semantic Design - Nothing to report.
    8. Technical & Support Services - McCaslin reported that their first meeting post Vancounver is this coming week.
  3. (30 min) Discussion topics
    • TSC Issue list - McCay would like to get a review and completion date for each issue in the tracker and manage them on that basis. ACTION ITEM: McCay will take a first pass at adding this information to the issue tracker. Singureanu suggested that we enter and triage issues and assign to a responsible person. We should also track how long it takes the issue to be resolved. Escalate those issues that take a long time to resolve. Once each issue has an expected reporting date, the secretariat contacts the responsible person before the due date for a status update. Singureanu noted that there are automated features in GForge that should be taken advantage of. The system will remind you that you have a task and its specific due date. Developing an appropriate process will be high on the list of priorities for TSC Analyst to ensure that TSC makes as much progress as possible.
    • Conference calling issues - Austin Kreisler reported that his Steering Division discovered that one of the Work Groups that was at the bottom of the list with respect to health metrics, was in fact active but not using HL7 tools to schedule conference calls. They have conference call serice this is being provided and funded by another organization and the group also manages a private listserv. Kreisler is seeking the TSC's viw on this Decision: Work Groups can use a non-HL7 sponsored conference calling service but the call must be announced to the general HL7 community. RCRIM has a work around for entering these types of calls into the HL7 conference calling system and Kreisler has already discussion making a change to the HL7 conference calling system to accommodate this scenario. MOTION by McCaslin: Conference calls needs to be announced to the appropriate listserv for the decisions made to be considered binding. We will give the Work Group in question time to rectify the situation before any disciplinary action is taken. There is alredy a corresponding policy in the GOM and it should be coordinated with the DMPs.

Meeting adjourned at 12:01 pm ET. Jim Case will not be in attendance next week.

Agenda item list (our sand box for future meetings)

Click for TSC Action Item List

  • SD co-chairs to contract Wilfred Bonney to establish a GForge site for their SD
  • TSC to create project scope statement for roll out of Enterprise Architecture work
  • Do we