From HL7 TSC
Revision as of 15:51, 18 August 2008 by Karenvan (talk | contribs) (→‎Agenda)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC - Technical Steering Committee

Monday, August 18, 2008 11:00 AM (US Eastern Time, GMT -5)
To participate, dial 770-657-9270 and enter pass code 124466#
GoToMeeting at
GoToMeeting ID: 822-618-174 

back to TSC Minutes and Agendas



  • CTO: John Quinn
  • Domain Experts: Jim Case (primary), Austin Kreisler (alternate)
  • Foundation & Technology: Ioana Singureanu (primary), Woody Beeler (alternate)
  • Structure & Semantic Design: Calvin Beebe (primary), Gregg Seppala (alternate)
  • Technical & Support Services: Ken McCaslin (primary), Helen Stevens Love (alternate)
  • Affiliate: Frank Oemig,
  • ARB Chair: Charlie Mead
  • HQ: Karen Van Hentenryck


  • Charles Jaffe (CEO); Ed Hammond (HL7 Chair); Chuck Meyer (HL7 Vice Chair)



  1. (5 min) Meeting Admin
    1. Roll Call -
    2. Accept Agenda - MOTION by McCaslin to accept agenda; seconded by Case. Motion passed unanimouslyl
    3. Approve Minutes from concall-20080811 - McCaslin mentioned a couple of typos in the minutes. With those corrections, MOTION by McCaslin to accept minutes; seconded by Case. Minutes approved unanimously.
  2. (20 min) Standing Committee Reports/Approvals
    1. CEO Report -
    2. CTO Report -
    3. ArB Report - Koisch reported that they've finalized the agenda for the upcoming jumpstart meeting and posted it to the wiki
    4. Affiliates Report - Frank Oemig reported on some problems with CDA implementations. He suggested that there be a conformance guide. Beebe, noted that the Structured Documents group has recognized the need for tooling to address CDA conformance. Quinn noted that he', too, is aware of the issue from the tooling perspective but doesn't anticipate a usable static designed until the end of the year. Quinn will send the tooling requirements document that Jane Curry put together to Frank Oemig.
    5. Domain Experts - One more mission/charter statement vote is ongoing for Community Based Care Collaborative.
      • What's the plan for catching up on approved Vocabulary Harmonization proposals that have never been implemented in the RIM vocabulary? Proposals dating back several years have yet to be implemented. This is impacting multiple work groups in DESD at this point. Kreisler noted that during harmonziaiton next week, they were told that there may be a plan for dealing with the backlog of harmonziation proposals that have been approved by never applied. About 6 Work Groups within the Domain Experts Steering Division are affected at this point. Quinn noted that w've received a proposal by Ted Klein and Russ Hamm to do this work and Quinn has approved it and asked for an eVote at the Board level in the next couple of weeks. Singureanu noted that we have an error prone means of collecting and managing the proposals. She would like to see this addressed before the Sept. meeting. Kresiler noted that one of the actions that has been discussed is to suspend vocabulary harmonization until the problem is addressed. If we think we can address this in the short term, then there is likely no need to suspend the harmonization process.
    6. Foundation & Technology - Nothing to report. Tomorrow they will received a change in mission/charter from INM.
    7. Structure & Semantic Design - Beebe reported that Clinical Statement wishes to extend the DSTU period from 12 -24 months. MOTION by Beebe: That the TSC extend the DSTU period; seconded by McCaslin. Motion passed unanimously.
      • Follow up with Clinical Genomics
    8. Technical & Support Services - McCaslin reported that he is still working on the Project Facilitator at large for each Steering Division. Regarding the SD represetnative. MOTION: Should the primary SD representative resign, the alternatve will take over as primary represenative, and we'd have nominations for the alternate. Seconded by Singureanu. Discussion: The intent is that a resignation would result in always electing an alternatve. So if the alternate resigns, we're electing an alternate as well. Motion passed unanimously. Kreisler noted that this will leave a two-month gap in coverage, leaving only a single individual to represent a steering division. Kresiler noted that we may wish to provide for the SD to appoint a replacement until the the alternate can be elected. McCaslin accepted this friendly amendment. Motion passed unanimously. ACTION ITEM: Meyer to draft a modification to the GOM to address this. McCaslin noted that the SD approved changed to the mission/charter for Tooling and Project Services. ACTION ITEM: Karen Van will announce these via the the Update from the TSC.
 #(30 min) Discussion topics
    1. Results of TSC elections - Van Hentenryck
    2. Document Naming convention (TSC Issue Tracker Item: 338[1] MOTION by Case: To approve the document; seconded McCaslin. Discussion: Oemig asked if we should also provide some instruction on ISO naming. It was pointed out that IOS has their own naming convention. Motion passed unanimously.
    3. Roadmap -Quinn noted that there are number of items that require steering division and work group mapping to their projects. Most importantly, we need the Work Groups to review the timelines needed to meet the requirements. AT the moment, the timelines are estimates from Quinn and McCay and they want buy-in from the Work Groups.
    4. Topics for Sept WGM
      • Summary for SD for health metrics
      • Indepth discussion around Roadmap
      • Indepth discussion around ArB jumpstart meetings
      • Discussion about the SWOTs and 3 year plans - Singureanu noted that the items that need co-chair review should be distributed the week before. Restructuring the SDs was one of the items that was discussed last time and we may wish to provide an update on that.

Call adjourned at 11:50 am.

Agenda item list (our sand box for future meetings)

Click for TSC Action Item List