From HL7 TSC
Revision as of 14:17, 20 August 2008 by Karenvan (talk | contribs) (→‎Agenda)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC - Technical Steering Committee

Monday, August 11, 2008 11:00 AM (US Eastern Time, GMT -5)
To participate, dial 770-657-9270 and enter pass code 124466#
GoToMeeting at
GoToMeeting ID: 822-618-174 

back to TSC Minutes and Agendas



  • CTO: John Quinn
  • Domain Experts: Jim Case (primary), Austin Kreisler (alternate)
  • Foundation & Technology: Ioana Singureanu (primary), Woody Beeler (alternate)
  • Structure & Semantic Design: Calvin Beebe (primary), Gregg Seppala (alternate)
  • Technical & Support Services: Ken McCaslin (primary), Helen Stevens Love (alternate)
  • Affiliate: Frank Oemig,
  • ARB Chair: Charlie Mead
  • HQ: Karen Van Hentenryck


  • Charles Jaffe (CEO); Ed Hammond (HL7 Chair); Chuck Meyer (HL7 Vice Chair)


  • Gregg Seppala


  1. (5 min) Meeting Admin
    1. Roll Call - The following individuals participated on the call: John Quinn, Jim Case, Charlie McCay, Ken McCaslin, Austin Kreisler, Frank Oemig, John Koisch, Chuck Meyer, Karen Van Hentenryck, Woody Beeler, Ioana Singureanu, and Helen Stevens.
    2. Accept Agenda - Agenda was accepted.
    3. Approve Minutes from concall-20080804 - Minor typos were identified by McCaslin and Case. Minutes approved as corrected.
  2. (20 min) Standing Committee Reports/Approvals
    1. CEO Report - Nothing to report
    2. CTO Report - Quinn send his report to the list about an hour ago [1]. TSC members were asked to read his report and send along any comments. We will be hiring an analyst to support the TSC full-time. Quinn will distribute the job description to the TSCadmins list.
    3. ArB Report - Koisch reported that the ArB is preparing for the jumpstart meeting in a couple of weeks. Outside parties such as Siemens and other vendors will be joining this meeting for discussion.
    4. Affiliates Report - Nothing to report.
    5. Domain Experts - Case reported that the Domain Experts Steering Division has been holding electronic votes on Mission and Charter revisions for four DESD Work Groups. The Steering Division has approved all four Mission and Charter revisions at this point, and copied have been fowarded to Karen Van. There was an action item from the previous week regarding contacting the co-chairs of the Clinical Genomics group regarding their implementation guide being out of scope of the current project. This is actually an action item for the Structure and Semantic Design co-chairs ACTION ITEM: Van Hentenryck will ensure that Gregg Seppala and Calvin Beebe follow up with Clinical Genomics and will add an items to next week’s agenda for an updated on this item.
    6. Foundation & Technology - Singureanu indicated that there will be one mission/charter revision coming from their Steering Division. MayCay reminded the group that these get approved in the Steering Division and then communicated out through Van Hentenryck's Update from the TSC email.
    7. Structure & Semantic Design - Nothing to report.
    8. Technical & Support Services - McCaslin reported that his Steering Division's next meeting is this coming Thursday. He's found a project facilitator for the Structure & Semantic Design Steering Division. The other issue is the request to re-open the V2.7 ballot pool. McCaslin noted that the Publishing committee reviewed the question of whether to open the ballot pool, based on guidelines in the GOM, and decided against it. MOTION by McCaslin: That the ballot pool for V2.7 remain closed; seconded by Case. Discussion: Oemig feels that the ballot pool should be open. Even if it is open, only those items that have been added since the last ballot are open for comment. Beeler supports re-opening the ballot. Stevens-Love supports accepting comments that aren't returned via the ballot. Van Hentenryck noted that this is already standard practice. Meyer suggested that these proposal go into the V2 proposals database for consideration in the next release of V2.. There was a question as to whether the person who experienced hardship would be limited to voting on the changes since the last ballot or the entire ballot. The response was that yes, that he would be restricted to commenting on changes since last ballot. Singureanu suggested we consider a process by which to accept suggested changes to the ballot. Motion passed with 3 in favor, 1 opposed, 1 abstention. MOTION by McCaslin: That Peter Scholtz be added to the ballot V2.7 ballot pool; seconded by Kreisler. The motion passed unanimously. Any others who wish to be added to the ballot pools should bring their requests to their Steering Division co-chairs or affiliate representative. Finally, McCaslin reminded the TSC that Monday, Sept 1, is a holiday in the US and Canada. The TSC will not convene a call that day.
  3. (20 min) Discussion topics
    1. (10 min) Roadmap overview - McCay explained that Karen Van distributed an updated Roadmap to this Board this morning based on input from the Board retreat. The TSC needs to begin reviewing this document, discussing comments related to the techncial plan, working out the plans for each Steering Divisions and affiliates, and understanding how those plans relate to the Roadmap. Tne next version of the Roadmap will be available before the Sept WGM. ACTION ITEM: Karen Van will distribute the most current Roadmap to the TSC admins list later today.
    2. (10 min) Planning for WGM - McCay reported that we hve 3 tracks of discussion for the September WGM:
      • TSC issues
      • Project product and work group items
      • Review Roadmap

Meeting adjourned at 11:50 am ET.

Agenda item list (our sand box for future meetings)

Click for TSC Action Item List