From HL7 TSC
Revision as of 19:31, 14 August 2008 by Karenvan (talk | contribs) (→‎Agenda)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC - Technical Steering Committee

Monday, August 11, 2008 11:00 AM (US Eastern Time, GMT -5)
To participate, dial 770-657-9270 and enter pass code 124466#
GoToMeeting at
GoToMeeting ID: 822-618-174 

back to TSC Minutes and Agendas



  • CTO: John Quinn
  • Domain Experts: Jim Case (primary), Austin Kreisler (alternate)
  • Foundation & Technology: Ioana Singureanu (primary), Woody Beeler (alternate)
  • Structure & Semantic Design: Calvin Beebe (primary), Gregg Seppala (alternate)
  • Technical & Support Services: Ken McCaslin (primary), Helen Stevens Love (alternate)
  • Affiliate: Frank Oemig,
  • ARB Chair: Charlie Mead
  • HQ: Karen Van Hentenryck


  • Charles Jaffe (CEO); Ed Hammond (HL7 Chair); Chuck Meyer (HL7 Vice Chair)


  • Gregg Seppala


  1. (5 min) Meeting Admin
    1. Roll Call - The following individuals participated on the call: John Quinn, Jim Case, Charlie McCay, Ken McCaslin, Austin, Frank, John Koisch, Chuck Meyer, Karen Van Hentenryck, Woody Beeler, Ioana Singureanu, and Helen Stevens.
    2. Accept Agenda - Agenda was accepted as printed.
    3. Approve Minutes from concall-20080804 - Minor typos were identified by McCaslin and Case. Minutes approved as corrected.
  2. (20 min) Standing Committee Reports/Approvals
    1. CEO Report - Nothing to report
    2. CTO Report - Quinn send his report to the list about an hour ago [1]. Quinn asked TSC members to read his report and send along any comments. We will be looking for an analyst to support the TSC. Quinn will distribute the job description to the TSCadmins list.
    3. ArB Report - Koisch reported the ArB is getting ready for the jumpstart meeting in a couple of weeks. Outside parties such as Siemens and other vendors will be joining this meeting for discussion.
    4. Affiliates Report - Nothing to report.
    5. Domain Experts - We have been holding electronic votes for Mission and Charter revisions for 4 DESD Work Groups. The steering division has approved all 4 M&C statements at this point. Copies of the M&C's have been forwarded to Karen. ACTION ITEM: Van Hentenryck will ensure that Gregg and Calvin follow up with Clinical Genomics and will add an action to next week’s agenda to have a report on this item.
    6. Foundation & Technology - Singureanu indicaed that there will be one mission/charter change. MayCay reminded the group that these get approved in the Steering Division and then communicated out through Van Hentenryck's Update from the TSC email.
    7. Structure & Semantic Design - Nothing to report.
    8. Technical & Support Services - McCaslin reported that his Steering Division's next meeting is this coming Thursday. He indicated that he has found a project facilitator for Structure & Semantic Design Steering Division. The other issue is the request to re-open the V2.7 ballot pool. McCaslin noted that the Publishing committee reviewed the question of whether to open the ballot pool, based on guidelines in the GOM, and decided against it. MOTION by McCaslin: The ballot pool for V2.7 ballot pool move forward via the normal process (i.e., remain closed); seconded by Case. Discussion: Oemig feels that it should be open. Even if it is open, only those items that have been added since the last ballot are open for comment. Beeler supports re-opening the ballot. Stevens-Love supports accept comments that aren't returned via the ballot. Meyer feels these proposal should go into the next project proposals database. There was a question as to whether the person who experienced hardship would be limited to voting on the changes since the last ballot or the entire ballot. The response was that yes, that he would be restricted to commenting on changes since last ballot. Singureanu suggested we consider a process by which to accept suggested changes to the ballot. Motion passed with 3 in favor, 1 opposed, 1 abstention. MOTION by McCasli: That Peter Scholtz be added to the ballot V2.7 ballot pool; seconded by Kreisler. The motion passed unanimously. Any others who wish to be added to the ballot pools should bring their requests to their Steering Division co-chairs or affiliate representative. Finally, McCaslin reminded the TSC that Monday, Sept 1, is a holiday in the US and Canada. The TSC will not convene a call that day.
  3. (20 min) Discussion topics
    1. (10 min) Roadmap overview - McCay explained that Karen distributed an updated Roadmap to this Board this morning based on input from the retreat. The TSC needs to begin reviewing this document, discussing comments related to the techncial plan, working out the plans for each Steering Divisions and affiliates, and understanding how those plans relate to the Roadmap. Tne next version of the Roadmap will be available before the Sept WGM. ACTION ITEM: Karen Van will distribute the most current Roadmap to the TSC admins list later today.
    2. (10 min) Planning for WGM - McCay reported that we hve 3 tracks of discussion for the September WGM:
      • TSC issues
      • Project product and work group items
      • Review Roadmap

Meeting adjourned at 11:50 am ET.

Agenda item list (our sand box for future meetings)

Click for TSC Action Item List