Concall-20080331

From HL7 TSC
Revision as of 22:54, 2 April 2008 by Karenvan (talk | contribs) (→‎Agenda)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC - Technical Steering Committee

Monday, March 31st, 2008 11:00 AM (US Eastern Time, GMT -5)
To participate, dial 770-657-9270 and enter pass code 124466#
GoToMeeting at https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/822618174
GoToMeeting ID: 822-618-174 

back to TSC Minutes and Agendas

Attendance

Expected

  • CTO: John Quinn
  • Domain Experts: Jim Case (primary), Austin Kreisler (alternate)
  • Foundation & Technology: Ioana Singureanu (primary), Woody Beeler (alternate)
  • Structure & Semantic Design: Calvin Beebe (primary), Gregg Seppala (alternate)
  • Technical & Support Services: Ken McCaslin (primary), Helen Stevens Love (alternate)
  • Affiliate: Frank Oemig,
  • ARB Chair: Charlie Mead
  • HQ: Karen Van Hentenryck

invited

  • Charles Jaffe (CEO); Ed Hammond (HL7 Chair); Chuck Meyer (HL7 Vice Chair)

Apologies

Calvin Beebe

Agenda

  1. (5 min) Meeting Admin
    1. Roll Call - The following individuals participated on the call: Austin Kresiler, Jim Case, Ed Hammond, Charlie McCay, Karen Van, Dave Hamill, Woody Beeler, Helen Stevens, Chuck Meyer, Ken McCaslin, and John Quinn
    2. Accept Agenda - McCay suggested that we add an agenda item to discuss HDF ballot issues; Van Hentenryck suggested an agenda item on non-member voting issues.
    3. Approve Minutes from concall-20080317 - MOTION by McCaslin to approve the minutes as corrected (he sent an email to Van Hentenryck with a couple of typo fixes); seconded by Beeler. Motion passed unanimously.
  2. (20 min) Standing Committee Reports/Approvals
    1. CEO Report - No report was provided
    2. CTO Report - [1]- Quinn distributed the CTO report in advance of the call via email. There were no questions on the report. Quinn indicated that only one person's name had been submitted to serve as the HL7 representative to the HITSP committees. Several SD co-chairs indicated at this time that they had names to submit as well SD co-chairs should send those names to Quinn John at their earliest convenience.
    3. Affiliates Report- Nothing to report
    4. Domain Experts - Case reported that the Domain Experts SD convened a call last week and one volunteer, Kevin Coonan, volunteered to represent HL7 on one of the HITSP committees. Others expressed interest and are reviewing the requirements for serving on this committee. They also approved two project scope statements that have been distributed to the other SDs for review. If no comments are brought forward by the others SDs, these will be brought forward to the TSC next week for approval. Some members of the SD expressed concern about the new ballot rules in the GOM. They would have preferred to have these new rules announced in advance. Beeler noted that Don Lloyd did announce the new rules in his balance announcement, but there was agreement that more communication would have been beneficial.
    5. Foundation & Technology - Beeler is not aware of any new business for the Foundation & Technology SD. Tne terminology analysis of the new ballot was completed over the weekend, and less than 200 references were missing. There is an interim meeting on Wednesday to address this issue. Regarding HDF maintenance, the question is whether the document is to be maintained by peer review or ballot. McCay noted that he recollected that it would be maintained by peer review and then approval by the TSC. Beeler explained the history of the HDF document. They balloted this in the past but did not consider it an information document or HL7 standard. Decision: the document will be updated and included in the ballot in the upcoming cycle and we will discuss/determine later how to maintain it in the future. Time limit: the patch should be in place by Wednesday, April 2.
    6. Structure & Semantic Design - Neither of the SD co-chairs was on the line and thus no report was provided.
    7. Technical & Support Services -
      • Project Approval: MOTION by McCaslin: to approve the Plan-to-Plan PHR webinar project[2]- McCaslin introduced this project and reiterated his motion; seconded by Case. Motion passed unanimously. There was agreement that these types of projects should be brought forward for comments/discussion at the TSC without actually needing a vote.
      • Project Approval: MOTION by McCaslin: To approve the Project Insight rollout to co-chairs project; seconded by Beeler. [3]- Dave Hamill introduced the topic of providing HL7 with a searchable database of projects for the membership. ACTION ITEM: Case suggested that we add a link on the GForge site back to Project Insight. Motion passed unanimously. McCaslin completed his report by indicating that Patrick Lloyd volunteered to be an HL7 representative to one of the HITSP committees.
    8. ArB report - Charlie Mead reported that the ArB did not meet last week but plan by the May meeting to have completed the dynamic framework requirements and the business model RFP. The ballot quality task force will have a report by the end of this week. The ArB will have their first recommendation on the reorganization of HL7 by the May meeting.
      • MOTION by Mead: To approve the Clinical Research Filtered Query Service Release Topic as a DSTU; seconded by Quinn. [4]- Charlie Mead provided the background information on this ballot document. Charlie explained the reasons for the outstanding negative votes. Charlie indicated that there is some interest in uptake of this in the EU. The EU has no interest in doing this through the OMG but aren’t willing to start this project until this document is published as a DSTU. Motion passed with one abstention (Beeler). Beeler was asked about his abstention but declined to comment.
  3. (30 min) Discussion topics
    • Proposed schedule for TSC elections: The proposed schedule is provided below. ACTION ITEM: Beeler asked for a discussion of how the voting should be done in the committees. The intent was for each committee to vote for two represetnative. All committees should be balloting in the same way. There was also confusion as to who makes the decision (e.g., the co-chairs of the work group or the work group as a whole). ACTION ITEM: TSC members will send their suggestions to Van Hentenryck, who will draft a procedure.
      • June 2- July 2 - 30-day nomination period
      • July 14 - Aug 13 - 30-day election period
    • Non-member voting - Van Hentenryck noted that several non-members who did not participate in the last ELINCs ballot are asking to sign up for the ballot pool for this ballot cycle. While we need to check the agreement we have in place with California Health Care Foundation, Van Hentenryck suggested that we consider prohibiting individuals who were no in the initial ballot to join subsequent ballot pools. This was a suggestion from ANSI that is now reflected in the GOM related to normative standards. Allowing new individuals to join the ballot pool after the initial vote tends to result in the new comments and thus extended ballots. TSC members are encouraged to send their comments on this issue to the TSC listserv.

Call adjounred at 12:05 pm

Agenda item list (our sand box for future meetings)

May WGM Agenda

  1. TSC Annual Objectives and Resource Plan (Financial Decision Making Model)
  2. TSC election process

Click for TSC Action Item List