From HL7 TSC
Revision as of 15:34, 28 March 2008 by Charliemccay (talk | contribs) (→‎Agenda: added link for ssd issue)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC - Technical Steering Committee

Monday, March 17th, 2008 11:00 AM (US Eastern Time, GMT -5)
To participate, dial 702-894-2444 and enter pass code 1244667#
GoToMeeting at
GoToMeeting ID: 822-618-174 

back to TSC Minutes and Agendas



  • CTO: John Quinn
  • Domain Experts: Jim Case (primary), Austin Kreisler (alternate)
  • Foundation & Technology: Ioana Singureanu (primary), Woody Beeler (alternate)
  • Structure & Semantic Design: Calvin Beebe (primary), Gregg Seppala (alternate)
  • Technical & Support Services: Ken McCaslin (primary), Helen Stevens Love (alternate)
  • Affiliate: Frank Oemig,
  • ARB Chair: Charlie Mead
  • HQ: Karen Van Hentenryck


  • Charles Jaffe (CEO); Ed Hammond (HL7 Chair); Chuck Meyer (HL7 Vice Chair)



  1. (5 min) Meeting Admin
    1. Roll Call - Quorum was established with the following individual participating on the call: Austin Kreisler, John Quinn, Gregg Seppala, Woody Beeler, Ken McCaslin, Ioana Singureanu, Charlie McCay, Freida Hall, Charlie Mead, and Karen Van Hentenryck, Chuck Meyer
    2. Accept Agenda - Given that Charlie Mead has another commitment and that Freida Hall joined the call, the ArB report and the project initiation process will be moved to beginning of the agenda.
    3. Approve Minutes from concall-20080310 MOTION by McCalin: To approve the minutes; seconded by Charlie Mead. The motion was unanimously.
  2. (20 min) Standing Committee Reports/Approvals
    1. ArB Report- [1]Charlie Mead indicated that the ArB has 4 projects and one item to report on. Three or the four projects have been taken on by the ARB, and the fourth is being supervised by the ArB. The projects are as follows: 1) Re-organization project – involves defining boundaries and responsibilites of core committees and how they intersect with the responsibilities of the ArB. Grahame Grieve is hte project lead and will submit the project scope. 2) Dynamic Model project - this involves clarification of what the ArB believes is its responsibilites regarding the Dynamic Model. The ArB won’t specify the Dynamic Model per se but will specify requirements and framework. John Koisch leading this project, and the current plan is that the ArB will take SOA TC proposed framework as a strawman. 3) Business Model RFP - this will require asking Board to approve the funding necessary to write the requirements for the RFP and to fund the work itself. ArB will write requirements for the RFP. This project is being led by Charlie Mead. 4) Ballot quality project – the ArB is sponsoring this project. The ArB has been asking this Ballot Quality group to provide them with a report. Charlie hopes to receive a report and provide more information on this project on next week’s TSC call. Regarding the DAM definition (action item from a few weeks ago), the definition has been given to John Quinn. Ioana Singureanu asked if they had taken a look at the latest HDF prior to developing the definition. The ArB felt that the HDF was about the content of the DAM but not the definition but the two do need to be in synch.
    2. Project initiation process and template - McCaslin reported that he'd sent an email to the list with the latest versions of these documents. MOTION by McCaslin: To approve the initiation process document; seconded by Singureanu. Regarding the scope statement document, Hall noted that project services separated the template from the instructions at the suggestion of one of the pilot users. Kreisler suggested that they terms SIG and TC to work groups. After some discussion the group agreed that this change would be made. MOTION by McCalin: That the TSC appprove the project scope template document with the suggested change; seconded by Quinn. Motion passed unanimously. ACTION ITEM: Quinn and McCaslin to draft motion on transitioning to the term work group and its implementation, including the semantics of the term (i.e., 2 wods, caps or not,e tc)
    3. CTO Report - Quinn reported that he email the CTO report to the list prior to the call. He highlighted the following areas:
      • NHS will contribute funds to the tooling budget for this year. Their contribution increases the available fund by about 33%, which is very good news.
      • Ed Hammond and Chuck Jaffe have determined that tooling is Quinn’s highest objective for the year.
      • Quinn will participate in a meeting this week with Hammond, Jaffe, Quinn, McDougall and Van Hentenryck to finalize Roadmap document.
      • ISO projects are up and running but political issues that are impeding progress. Hammond is working on political issues, which revolve around IHC and ICSR.
      • HL7 Representation on HITSP committees - Quinn is still seeking HL7 representation on a number of HITSP committees and project. ACTION ITEM: Steering Division co-chairs ask their work groups for names of individuals who could represent HL7 on these committees, with feedback being delivered to Quinn prior to next week's call.
    4. Affiliates Report - nothing to report
    5. Domain Experts - Nothing to report
    6. Foundation & Technology - Singureanu reported that the steering division is still working to track down missing vocabulary references. At present, they've found 795 references to vocabulary references that are missing. Vocabulary references were left null in many places and in these instances need to be addressed by the committees. There are some typographical error, some are missing all together, some have been approved but not yet reflected in the repository. The VA has volunteered resources to assist with this project. Committee need to know which attributes need to have vocabulary added. Beeler had committed to this and has been working on on it for the last several days. ACTION ITEM: Singureanu will update this issue against the TSC Issue Tracker.
    7. Structure & Semantic Design - Seppala noted they hadn’t met, not email traffic on the list. DSTU on Patient Admin and they have some changes they want the CTO to say are non-substantive. They’ve posted a formal request to the TSC Issue tracker [2]. ACTION ITEM: Quinn will take a look at this and send a recommendation to the McCay. TSC agreement that Quinn and McCay will make the decision
    8. Technical & Support Services -
  3. (30 min) Discussion topics
    • Request to approve project initiation process and template - McCaslin[3]
    • Version 2.7 as DSTU or not - McCay
    • Review/Discuss TSC communications plans
    • Review out-of-cycle ballot criteria [4]
    • Review workgroup management guidelines - (see TSC Issue 153/ task 142) [5]-
    • Proposed schedule for TSC elections:
      • June 2- July 2 - 30-day nomination period
      • July 14 - Aug 13 - 30-day election period

Agenda item list (our sand box for future meetings)

Click for TSC Action Item List