From HL7 TSC
Revision as of 19:56, 2 January 2008 by Karenvan (talk | contribs) (→‎Agenda)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC - Technical Steering Committee

Monday, December 17th, 2007 11:00 AM (US Eastern Time, GMT -5)
To participate, dial 702-894-2444 and enter pass code 1244667#
GoToMeeting at
GoToMeeting ID: 822-618-174 

back to TSC Minutes and Agendas



  • Chair: Charlie McCay
  • CTO: John Quinn
  • Domain Experts: Jim Case (primary), Austin Kreisler (alternate)
  • Foundation & Technology: Ioana Singureanu (primary), Woody Beeler (alternate)
  • Structure & Semantic Design: Calvin Beebe (primary), Gregg Seppala (alternate)
  • Technical & Support Services: Ken McCaslin (primary), Helen Stevens Love (alternate)
  • Affiliate: Frank Oemig, Charlie McCay
  • ARB Chair: Charlie Mead
  • HQ: Karen Van Hentenryck


  • Charles Jaffe (CE); Chuck Meyer (HL7 Chair); Ed Hammond (HL7 Chair Elect)



  1. (10 min) Meeting Admin
    1. Roll Call - Quroum was established with the following individuals in attendance: Jim Case, Calvin Beebe, Frank Oemig, Ed Hammond, Gregg Seppala, Austin Kreisler, John Quinn, Charlie McCay, Ken McCaslin, Woody Beeler, and Karen Van Hentenryck.
    2. Accept Agenda Jim Case requested that the group discuss the TSC meeting schedule for the holiday season. MOTION by Case: To accept the agenda with the change noted above; seconded by Beebe. The motion passed unanimously.
    3. Approve Minutes Concall-20071210 - Motion by Kreisler: To approve the minutes as printed; seconded by Beebe. The motion passed unanimously.
  2. (10 min) Standing Committee Reports
    1. CEO Report - Jaffe was not in attendance.
    2. CTO Report - Quinn reported that he participated in a conference call with ISO and asked Hammond to report further. Hammond indicated that there has been confusion on a couple of points but he feels the confusion has now been resolved. The leads from the three organizations will agree on which one of the three will be the lead for any particular project. For ISCR, ISO WG6 will be the lead; HL7 and CEN will appoint co-leads. To synchronize ballots, HL7 will need to extend the ballot period to 60 days. Work to be done by the JIC should be directed to Quinn, who will bring it forward to the TSC. We need to check the bylaws to ensure that 60 days is not contrary to our current bylaws and with Don Lloyd to ensure that our current ballot tooling will accommodate 60-day ballot cycles. The ISCR ballot will be based on the ISO RIM, which is different than our current verion. '''ACTION ITEM: Quinn and Van Hentenryck will write draft procedures for bringing JIC work into HL7 and distribute to the TSC for review. Case indicated that he'd heard that RCRIM and ICSR want to incorporate the BRIDG model. ACTION ITEM: Quinn will follow up with Charlie Mead RE the BRIDG model. Quinn provided a brief update on the tooling initiative, indicating that IBM wants to accelerate the progress of this group. We need to accomplish three things fairly quickly: (1) Jane Curry will draft the user requirements; (2) Woody Beeler and Grahame Grieve will review IBM's platform as to its suitability, including a gap analysis; and (3) Lloyd McKenzie will complete the gaps in the core MIF requirements. The goal is to have all three items completed by the Jan 2008 WGM. Regarding the ARB, Quinn reported that he and C. Mead have received nominations for all four steering divisions; they are still pursuing the individuals that they wish to appoint.
    3. ARB report - Charlie Mead was not on the call.
    4. Affiliates Report - Nothing to report.
    5. Domain Experts - Case reported that they distributed the project scope statements from CDISC to harmonize the BRIDG model with the RIM. They did not have a quorum on the last steering division call to take a vote so it is out for eVote. They discussed how to address ICSR in light of the JIC work and they need to make some suggestions back to this group.
    6. Foundation & Technology - Nothing to report.
    7. Structure & Semantic Design - Beebe noted that he project scope statements discussed a few weeks earlier are ready for vote on today's call.
    8. Technical & Support Services - Nothing to report.
  3. (10 mins) Committee creation/dissolution policy - Van Hentenryck pulled together the draft procedures for work group approval and dissolution. She is not in front of a computer and asked someone else to lead the discussion. Regarding approval for new work groups, Case noted that he likes the draft process but feels that the approval process, particularly the percentage of groups that have to respond, is too rigorous. He feels that the quorum should default to the steering division's Decision Making Practices. Others felt that failure to achieve quorum is grounds for automatic appeal. In other words, the steering division would report the attempt to the TSC and make an appeal. Quinn suggested that he need to add a section or create a new process on work group maintenance. Beeler noted a spelling error (stewart) that needs to be corrected (steward) and asked how super projects that are formed to handle multi-committee work would be handled. ACTION ITEM: Van Hentenryck will make the noted changes and the TSC will seek final approval of these processes on its next call.
  4. (5 mins) - TSC Schedule during the Holidays - There was agreement that the TSC will take the next two weeks off and reconvene on Jan 7.
  5. (10 mins) Project Approvals - Beebe reminded the group that there are 5 projects from his steering division that are up for approval: (1) Behavioral Health; (2) Arden 2.7; (3) Lab Implementation Guide; (4) EHR Lifecycle Model; and (5) CDA Reference Profile. MOTION by Beebe: That the TSC approval all five projects; seconded by Beeler. There was no discussion and the motion passed unanimously.
  6. (10 mins) TSC Product and Services Strategy input - McCay reported that the TSC needs to collect materials to feed into the products and services strategy. He would like material for discussion on the Jan 7 call.
  7. (10 min) issue review and processing McCay reported that we have convened a couple of calls to discuss ways to improve GForge for our use.

Call adjourned at 11:57 am ET.

Agenda item list (our sand box for future meetings)

Click for TSC Action Item List