2015-03-09 TSC Call Agenda

From HL7 TSC
Revision as of 15:15, 12 March 2015 by Anne wizauer (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Meeting Info/Attendees

Standing Conference Calls

TSC will hold a Conference Call at 11AM Eastern time, each Monday except during scheduled face-to-face Working Group Meetings unless otherwise noted at TSC_Minutes_and_Agendas.

GoToMeeting at https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/426505829 using VOIP
For those without access to microphone/speakers:
US: +1 (224)501-3318
Canada: +1 (647)497-9379
Italy: +39 0 230 57 81 80
Access Code: 426-505-829
GoToMeeting ID: 426-505-829
HL7 TSC Meeting Minutes

Location: call 770-657-9270 using code 985371#
NEW GoToMeeting ID: 426-505-829

Date: 2015-03-09
Time: 11:00 AM U.S. Eastern
Facilitator: Ken McCaslin Note taker(s): Anne Wizauer
Quorum = chair + 5 including 2 SD represented yes/no
Chair/CTO ArB International Affiliate Rep Ad-Hoc
x Ken McCaslin x Tony Julian x Jean Duteau .
x John Quinn x Lorraine Constable x Giorgio Cangioli .
Domain Experts Foundation and Technology Structure and Semantic Design Technical and Support Services
Regrets Melva Peters Regrets Woody Beeler x Calvin Beebe x Freida Hall
x John Roberts x Paul Knapp . Pat van Dyke x Andy Stechishin
. Russ Hamm . .
ex officio Invited Guests Observers HL7 Staff
. Stan Huff (HL7 Chair) w/vote x Lynn Laakso . obs1 x Anne Wizauer
. Chuck Jaffe (CEO) vote x Lisa Nelson . obs2 .
. x Karen Van Hentenryck . obs3 .
. x Brian Pech . obs3 .
. x Frank Oemig . obs3 .
. x Austin Kreisler . obs3 .



  1. Introduction of visitors (including declaration of interests)
  2. Agenda review and approval -
  3. Approve Minutes of 2015-03-02 TSC Call Agenda


  1. Approval items:
  2. Discussion topics:


  1. Review action items
    • Anne to add invitation to participate in comment period for FHIR Balloting Process Pilot in the update from the TSC next week (Austin to provide link).
    • All: review Ballot Approval List before next call
  2. Items from 2015-02-27 e-Vote Referred for Discussion (T3SD):
  3. Approval items for this week requiring discussion:
    • Ballot Approvals for May2015 using new Naming Conventions - [20 minutes] with questions to consider:
      • Do we allow abbreviations in the document title? Motion by Tony Julian: If the abbreviation is defined in the HL7 glossary, we may use the abbreviation in the title.
      • Do we use the word "Informative" in the naming convention? Motion by Tony Julian: Informative is a word that would be included in the name of the ballot.
      • How do we harmonize the naming convention with the FHIR naming standard of using the WG identifier before the product name? Motion by Tony Julian: FHIR is expected to be part of the name, so identifying it as the WG in the name is unnecessary.
      • Do we need both specification and standard? Motion by Lorraine Constable: If standard and specification are the same, both are not needed; but if one provides further refinement to the description, both may be used as appropriate.
    • Project Approval Request of FHIR Balloting Process Pilot at Project Insight 1177 and TSC Tracker 5807 - [5 minutes]
      • Naming issue for FHIR Balloting Process Pilot (Austin)
  4. Approval items for this week's e-vote:
  5. Approval items from last week's e-vote - approved 6/0/0 with 2 international affiliates, SSD-SD, ArB, DESD, and T3SD voting:
  6. Discussion topics:
    • Refactoring HL7 V2 Product Family proposal - Brian Pech - [15 minutes]
    • Balloting Consistency (Calvin, Lynn, Lisa, Karen) [10 minutes]
    • Attachments Collaboration Project (Paul) - Deferred to 2015-03-16
    • HSI WG Content Issue (Lorraine) - Deferred to 2015-03-16
    • WG Co-Chairs Not Working Within Process (Paul, John Roberts, Melva, Pat) - Deferred to 2015-03-16
    • FHIR Ballot Reonciliation Process (Lorraine/Paul) - Deferred to 2015-03-16
  1. Reports: (attach written reports below from Steering Divisions et al.)
  2. Open Issues List


  • Meeting minutes approved by general consent.
  • Project approval request for FHIR balloting process pilot and naming issue (Austin): Should we position this as HL7 ballot pilot vs. FHIR? Ken is hoping it works for more than just FHIR, so perhaps it should be positioned as a broader project from the start. Austin says the draft process is written around FHIR and then we can generalize it afterwards. Review of the process is beginning today. Freida states that recasting it might get more participation in the review. Motion to accept the renamed project by Tony, Freida seconds. Opposed: 0 Abstained: 0 Approved: All. Anne to send co-chairs link.
  • Ballot approvals with new naming conventions. Four motions:
    • John seconds first motion by Tony regarding abbreviations that appear in the glossary (include which glossary in instructions – the green book glossary that the first time attendees get). Opposed: 0 Abstained: Calvin and Paul Approved: All
    • Second motion by Tony on Informative being included in the name of the ballot. Second by Pat. Opposed: 0 Abstained: 0 Approved: All
    • Third motion on FHIR naming by Tony; Paul seconds. Opposed: 0 Abstained: 0 Approved: All
    • Fourth motion regarding specification and standard by Lorraine; if they are the same, both are not needed. Second by John R. Opposed: 0 Abstained: 0 Approved: All. Discussion over where standard would appear. The word standard if often included, so the question is whether or not that is appropriate. New motion by Lorraine: The word standard does not need to be included. Second by John R. Opposed: 0 Abstained: 0 Approved: All Anne to coordinate making updates to the document with Lynn.
    • discussion over naming of HL7 FHIR Specification Release 1.
    • discussion over HL7 Logical Model QUICK Release 1 – does it create a new product family? Addition of Cross-paradigm to title is discussed. Must we include family name? Doesn’t have a family context. Continued discussion next week.
  • Balloting consistency: Lisa introduces the issue. She contacted Calvin regarding opportunity to make some changes to help balloting process be more consistent across WGs. All follow same administrative steps at beginning and end, but reconciliation has a wide range of processes/procedures. Ken asks if Lisa would be willing to participate in Austin’s project to ensure that her input is included. Karen asks Lisa to forward the email with her comments/ideas; may be a project for process improvement. She will forward to TSC/Anne will add to minutes.
  • Refactoring HL7 V2 product family: Brian describes the issue. Frank discusses technical issues. Attempt to increase consistency across chapters. Process to start new ballot takes 3 years. One issue is the Word format; another is generating from the database. Ken wonders about using numbers rather than letters on chapters – folks have the chapters memorized and it would make things easier for them. Microsoft will essentially force the change. Freida asks if members will be allowed to give input into the change process? Jane and Brian will form a task force in Publishing to look at the overall larger process on V2 publishing and this will be part of it; input will be gathered through that process. Ken encourages lots of dialogue and early peer review.
  • CDS Knowledge artifact specification DSTU: Ken suggests that security WG should be added as a co-sponsor to mitigate risk or have them review it. Motion to send back to the WG to include security to Calvin, second by Pat.
  • CDS Big Picture Implementation Guide: New product is checked – what does TSC need to do, if anything? This is being addressed in the BAM. Last time we had a new product family we had a subcommittee review by members of TSC and subject matter experts. If it’s informative then it’s not really a new family. Ken asks Pat/Calvin to go back to WG to determine if this is truly a new product family or not and perhaps modify the title.
  • Ken asks for opinions on including motions put in place previously on leadership call – how did people feel about that? Paul thinks it’s a useful approach and speeds things along. General agreement that it had a positive outcome and is fine to do in the future.

Call adjourned at 12:06 pm.

Next Steps

Actions (Include Owner, Action Item, and due date)
  • .
Next Meeting/Preliminary Agenda Items

© 2014 Health Level Seven® International. All rights reserved.