2013-01-12 TSC WGM Agenda

From HL7 TSC
Revision as of 17:56, 12 January 2013 by Llaakso (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC Saturday meeting for 2013 Jan WGM in Phoenix AZ USA

back to TSC Minutes and Agendas

TSC WGM Agenda/Minutes

HL7 TSC Meeting Minutes

Location: Sedona 2

Date: 2013-01-12
Time: 9a - 5p local time
Facilitator: Austin Kreisler Note taker(s): Lynn Laakso
Attendee Name Affiliation
x Calvin Beebe HL7 SSD SD Co-Chair
x Woody Beeler HL7 FTSD Co-Chair
Bob Dolin HL7 Board Vice Chair (member ex officio w/o vote)
x Jean Duteau HL7 Affiliate Representative
x Freida Hall HL7 T3SD Co-Chair
Chuck Jaffe HL7 CEO (member ex officio w/o vote)
x Tony Julian HL7 FTSD Co-Chair
x Austin Kreisler (Chair) HL7 TSC Chair, Ad-hoc member
x Lynn Laakso (scribe, non-voting) HL7 HQ
x Charlie Mead HL7 ArB Chair
Don Mon HL7 Board Chair (member ex officio w/ vote)
Ravi Natarajan HL7 Affiliate Representative
x Ron Parker HL7 ArB Alternate
x Melva Peters HL7 DESD Co-Chair
x John Quinn HL7 CTO (TSC member ex officio w/vote)
x Andy Stechishin T3SD Co-Chair
x Pat Van Dyke HL7 SSD SD Co-Chair
x Mead Walker HL7 DESD Co-Chair
Quorum Requirements (Co-chair +5 with 2 SD Reps) Met: (yes)

Agenda Topics

Q1 - Governance: 9 am to 10:30 am

  1. Roll Call and Introduction of visitors (including declaration of interests)
  2. Additions to, and acceptance of, agenda:
  3. Link to Interim decision review since last WGM
  4. TSC policies and procedure review based on outcomes of ANSI audit
  5. Risk Assessment Project update
    • Review critical risks and issues

Q2 - Governance Continued: 11 am to 12:30 pm

  1. Work Group Health/PBS Metrics measurements review
    • Risk assessment impact on WGH/PBS metrics
  2. Governance for Product lines
    • Risk assessment impact on product lines

Q3 - Governance continued: 1:30 pm to 3 pm

  1. Data types final recommendation
  2. Tooling Strategic Plan discussion - see draft Tooling Strategy endorsed by Tooling WG 2012-12-13

Q4 - Management: 3:30 pm to 5pm

  1. TSC Planning and Open Issue Review
    • TSC Definition of Domain Analysis Models and Functional Profiles at Tracker 2165 see draft DAM definition from ArB
      • Status from HL7 SAIF IG (Artifact Definition) to confirm? What about Functional Profiles?
    • V3 R2 Datatypes backwards compatibility at Tracker 2344 pending review by John Quinn and the BoD
    • Consolidation of approaches for submitting enhancement requests to standards at Tracker 2400 - V2.x has one approach, DSTU another and so on.
    • Formalization of process for requesting publication of errata at Tracker 2403
    • HL7 Terminology Authority - Policies and Procedures at Tracker 2416 - any available update from Austin's feedback
    • TSC Guidance on reballoting standards at Tracker 2441
    • Address Risk assessment issues
  2. Next WGM Planning - next two WGMs - agenda links
  3. Maintenance project: Work Group Visibility
    • Child Health review
    • CCOW review
  4. TSC Project Review
  5. Announcement: Arden Syntax WG has submitted the normative publication request for Arden Syntax 2.9 (No TSC approval required)


  1. ArB
    • BAM discussion
    • BAM, Product line governance, product line management next steps

MONDAY LUNCH *new* (Sonora)

  1. BAM discussion continued

Tuesday lunch

  1. WGM Planning - agenda setting next two WGMs - agenda links
    • Schedule:
      (January) Review TSC Mission and Charter, Decision Making Practices
      (January) Review TSC Decision Making Practices

Supporting Documents

Minutes/Conclusions Reached:

  1. Roll Call and Introduction of visitors (including declaration of interests) - no guests this morning; welcome to new members
  2. Additions to, and acceptance of, agenda: no changes identified
  3. Link to Interim decision review since last WGM
  4. TSC policies and procedure review based on outcomes of ANSI audit
    • Suggests break out the ANSI-relevant portions of the GOM from the rest of our procedures.
      • Discussion ensued on standards interpretation in #6. Implications for LOI, LRI, and C-CDA and a standards help desk for MU IGs. This needs to be revised that the interpretations happen in the Work Groups as delegated by the TSC and address whether the TSC needs to review such interpretations. John notes the TSC should be aware of the referral and triage and ensure the documentation of the interpretation is completed. Interpretation policy is part of ANSI essential requirements. Calvin moves that requests for interpretations be referred to the WGs from which the standard comes. John modified that Staff and TSC put in processes and procedures for documentation on these referrals that the responses be recorded and available. This is not where someone just sends and email to the WG but a centralized location on the web page where such requests can be captured. TSC issues list also has centralized requests for errata, enhancements, and such interpretations may also be part of such centralized recording. MOTION: Motion by Calvin, Andy seconds: Formal requests for interpretation are delegated to the WGs with a stipulation that the questions received and answers generated must be documented and available. The formal processes that should be followed must be developed in the upcoming weeks.
        • ACTION ITEM: develop processes that should be followed in receipt and address of requests for interpretation. Assigned to Freida and referred to ES.
        • Discussion on the ability from HQ or members or inquirers all can submit their requests to this documentation location. Revenue opportunities and membership requirements at this level will not be addressed by the Board at this WGM.
        • VOTE: Unanimously approved
      • Number 7 timing of PINs form discussed at length. Woody notes the next event prior to the ballot is the NIB. Jean notes when the TSC is notified that a project is going to go to normative ballot. Mead notes the PSS indicates if a project is going to go normative eventually. ISO for example sets a clock on a project and perhaps ANSI wants us to use such a mechanism. Woody suggests PSS to DSTu 18 months, but Freida notes that ANSI doesn't care about DSTU. Jean suggests that the clock started when you file a PSS that asserts you are going normative. Freida notes three years gives you time from the PSS to ballot comment, have a DSTU and ballot normative. Calvin notes changing IP rules ensure where people camp-out their standards and agrees with Jean that a separate step to approve a project for the normative ballot. It is also noted in 25 that they no longer want to see more than 2 normative ballots or require a ballot to start over opening the scope of comment on content and pool. Separate scope approval or notification of Normative work with 18 month clock. DSTU expiration then discussed; languishing DSTUs currently on the book need to be gently addressed and ease into more draconian measures. Freida notes that this will require changes to the 2013 PSS.
        • MOTION: Calvin moves and Jean seconds that Separate scope approval or notification of Normative work with 18 month clock be used as PINS trigger and the TSC will conduct a project review if the project has not gone to ballot at that time. Existing DSTU project can go straight to TSC and not required for SD revision.
        • DISCUSSION Discussion ensued that Steering Divisions should be reviewing project statuses and such review may be done with a new project scope statement with grandfathering existing projects with evidence of a WG vote that they will be going to normative as the notification point. Mead would rather see just the WG assert they are now proceeding with normative. Ron notes this trigger needs to be built into WGH metrics Question has to be asked routinely and someone needs to respond. Austin notes if a WG submits a NIB and they did not perform the trigger do we prohibit them from balloting? Calvin suggests that DSTU's submit a revised PSS to the TSC when they prepare their normative. Need Steering Division approval on an entirely new PSS before going to the TSC. Still have issue with NIB going normative with no approved PSS the TSC should prohibit participation in that cycle. If you can get your I's dotted and T's crossed. Suggested to add a checkbox to the PSS to indicate that this is a normative notification
        • VOTE: unanimously approved.
      • Nbr 9 agreed.
      • Nbr 10 regarding disposition of comments produced suggestions on block voting in comment disposition. Calvin notes that sponsored projects have individuals with committed resources that will take on the disposition recommendations for block voting.
      • Nbr 13 Woody notes that it only is affected if the ballot is challenged for proper balance. Concern is if you close enrollment before voting and don't have balance at that time. Ron recounts balance stipulations from ANSI essential requirements. Jean suggests you can't close enrollment and open vote if you're unbalanced. Freida cites the option to enroll in all ballot pools as an issue. Austin suggests that you may have to leave the voting period open as well after balanced enrollment is reached. Timing of WGMs after ballot close becomes an issue and force a decision by WG to pull the ballot. Jean notes that the 27 votes from Canada might skew a balanced pool. This is a potential risk but not ready to make a motion at this time. You can still adopt a standard if the pool is unbalanced unless someone objects. Wait and see if ANSI approves the standard in question.
      • Nbr 22 reconciliation completed in a year; if you cannot make progress what is our "or else". Freida suggests they be reviewed by the TSC and the WG provide a rationale to allow the project (Informative, DSTU or Normative) to continue and seek an extension for normative.
      • Nbr 25 still under review by ANSI
      • Nbr 26 definition of consensus body and address of abstentions referred back to signing up for all pools and also at leaving the enrollment pools open after ballot open. Block voters commonly all suggested to enroll for everything and all go in on the Sunday night to change their vote to abstain. Austin's document on guidelines for reballoting is already addressing some of the recommendations on the number of ballots to develop a standard and ballot fatigue. Jean recounts finding errors right before the ballot and choosing to negative vote the issue in the ballot instead of correcting the material and submitting to the next ballot. Material that is not ready should not be sent to ballot. Looking at a step for a cochair to assert that the material is complete and ready for ballot. Woody asserts we should push back to WGs that they should reduce their scope in advance and not on the fly. Austin's suggestion was to constrain scope and gradually add scope, but need to avoid HAI history but enable DCMs.
    • Defer the rest of the document not in yellow to following calls and perhaps a task force.

Recessed at 10:41 AM

Q2 - Governance Continued: 11 am to 12:30 pm

  1. Risk Assessment Project update
    • Review critical risks and issues
  2. Work Group Health/PBS Metrics measurements review
    • Risk assessment impact on WGH/PBS metrics
  3. Governance for Product lines
    • Risk assessment impact on product lines

Actions (Include Owner, Action Item, and due date)
  • .
Next Meeting/Preliminary Agenda Items
  • .