2012-10-09 V3 Datatypes Task Force
Scope and mandate of this group: Need a recommendation for the V3 Modeling to the TSC.
Occurs every Tuesday effective 9/25/2012 until 11/27/2012 from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM.
TSC concall coordinates Dial 770-657-9270 and enter pass code 985371#
Co-chairs: Woody, Charlie
Today's Chair: Woody
- Hugh Glover -
- Paul Knapp -
- Austin Kreisler - regrets
- Lloyd McKenzie -
- Ron Parker -
- John Quinn
- Pat van Dyke -
- Mead Walker -
- Scribe: Lynn Laakso
past meeting notes:
- Charlie to write his narrative of Oracle's versioning strategy for reference.
- Woody asks Hugh to write up the choices as he sees them. See "Motion" below.
Product Line principles:
- CDA Principles - R1-R2 ; R2-R3 (Austin)
- FHIR Principles - evolving but more rigid than V3 (Lloyd) - see attachment
- V2 Compatibility - obtain from Chapter 2 (Mead) - see attachment
- V3 Principles - located in package note to readers on ballot site in section 5.2.2
Draft Motion (Hugh):
- HL7 has not and will not guarantee wire format backward compatibility of V3 payloads as the standard evolves. However HL7 recognises that in some circumstances breaking wire format backward compatibility will cause significant difficulty to users and that this in turn will reflect badly on HL7 and have a substantial negative impact on the adoption of V3. In such circumstances, and where a resolution can be found, HL7 will publish multiple versions of affected schemas so that both new versions and old wire format backward compatible versions are available to the user community that has been affected.
- Discussion points:
- The reason for trying to provide a backward compatible version is HL7 self-interest – we lose credibility if we don’t. We are not committing to satisfy all backward compatibility requirements everywhere.
- We are only committing to provide a solution where one can be found.
- We are not committing to providing the solution to everyone – but only to the group that has the issue.