2012-10-08 TSC Call Minutes

From HL7 TSC
Revision as of 16:10, 15 October 2012 by Llaakso (talk | contribs) (moved 2012-10-08 TSC Call Agenda to 2012-10-08 TSC Call Minutes: minutes approved)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC Agenda/Minutes

Meeting Info/Attendees

HL7 TSC Meeting Minutes

Location: call 770-657-9270 using code 985371#
GoToMeeting ID: 165-215-206

Date: 2012-10-08
Time: 11:00 AM U.S. Eastern
Facilitator: Austin Kreisler Note taker(s): Lynn Laakso
Quorum = chair + 5 including 2 SD represented yes/no
Chair/CTO ArB International Affiliate Rep Ad-Hoc
regrets Austin Kreisler x Charlie Mead x Ravi Natarajan . Melva Peters
x John Quinn x Ron Parker regrets Giorgio Cangioli
Domain Experts Foundation and Technology Structure and Semantic Design Technical and Support Services
x Ed Tripp x Woody Beeler regrets Calvin Beebe x Freida Hall
x Mead Walker x Tony Julian x Pat van Dyke . Patrick Loyd
ex officio Invited Guests Observers HL7 Staff
. Don Mon (HL7 Chair) w/vote . Melva Peters, co-chair-elect x Brian Pech x Lynn Laakso
. Bob Dolin (Vice Chair) vote . Andy Stechishin, co-chair-elect . obs2 .
. Chuck Jaffe (CEO) vote . Jean Duteau, Affiliate Representative-elect . . .



  1. Introduction of visitors (including declaration of interests)
  2. Agenda review and approval - Austin Kreisler
  3. Approve Minutes


  1. Approval items:
  2. Discussion topics:
    • Task Force status
      • Risk Assessment Task force
      • Datatypes Task Force
    • Framework for defining and operationalizing governance (John/Charlie/Ron)


  1. Review action items
    • Austin will take the issue of Facilitator training tutorials as webinars to Education (no progress)
    • Calvin can try to contact rep from Colibria on CCOW WG participation interest.
    • Tony will address with InM on absorbing CCOW.
    • Austin and Freida will draft proposed changes in wording to the GOM for TSC attendance at WGMs and bring it back to the TSC for review at another date.
    • Austin will do a draft RACI chart for People/Roles for the WGH Precept (no progress)
  2. Approval items:
  3. Discussion topics:
  4. Reports: (attach written reports below from Steering Divisions et al.)
  5. Open Issues List

Supporting Documents

  • See links


Minutes/Conclusions Reached:
Call to order 11:05 AM EDT

  1. Introduction of visitors (including declaration of interests) Brian Pech observing
  2. Agenda review and approval - John - review management item for recommendations for ANSI and then do the Governance. Mead moves and Woody seconds approval. Approved
  3. Discussion topics:
    • Outstanding projects/standards that ANSI has identified as needing clean-up, at TSC Tracker #2365 - see Karen's recommendation
      • Lynn will send email to cochairs with link to document and inform them that TSC will be voting to withdraw these next week and to let her know if they're moving forward. ITS Structures R2 may be ITS not InM.
  4. Approve Minutes of 2012-10-01 TSC Call Agenda Freida moves and Woody seconds approval. Mead abstains but Woody carries the FTSD vote. Pat abstains for SSD SD. Approved 4/0/1.


  1. Discussion topics:
    • Task Force status
      • Risk Assessment Task force - Charlie reports they have formally adopted a methodology. Assignments for reviewing organizational documents have been accepted with likelihood and impact assessment as the next deliverables for the risk matrix. The methodology document is reviewed.
      • Ravi arrives.
      • Datatypes Task Force - Woody reports they wished to evaluate other organizations' versioning strategies. The group evaluated existing principles of backwards compatibility among existing paradigms. Hugh drafted a policy statement for review at the next meeting and Charlie will provide a summary of Oracle's release strategy. Ravi asks about international representation. Poll on ISO datatypes adoption among affiliates indicated it was in use. Hugh was nominated to represent international interests. The task force will make a recommendation to the TSC for the TSC to adopt.
    • Framework for defining and operationalizing governance (John/Charlie/Ron)
      • The steps are: Identification, authoring, approval, operationalization. TSC identifies, authoring goes to governance committee (GOC), GOC has it ratified by the Executive committee in consultation with TSC, then operationalization and review of metrics is back to the TSC.
      • Freida notes the GOC has a process for peer review, a maintenance process and timeframe, etc. Woody feels that the governance for each product line should be under the TSC not outside of the GOC. He finds the GOC to be more on the operational side. Ron notes we don't want to duplicate the activities already done well elsewhere in the organization. Need to get the governance points documented first and then figure out where to put them. Governance points from wherever they originate need to be catalogued and defined. Where Gov pts cross parts of the organization how to manage between where a governance point is triggered and where it must be executed. Woody agrees primary governance points are from GOM like balloting. Harmonization is not codified in the GOM but has a set of rules as well. Need definitions of valid comments associated with voting, not how to cast one's vote. Freida notes that ANSI does their audits in terms of how we are following our own procedures, so defining those procedures are important.
      • John adds issues of governance, operations and process may be initiated by or forwarded to the GOC for adjustments to working in GOM. We want to make sure there's a process for when GOM changes go to the EC for voting they have ensured that language involving things on topic of product lines has review of its wording by TSC. Freida adds that after WGM items are listed to EC right after the WGM, may need to add checkpoint by TSC. Once wording is created all are invited for peer review, then it goes to EC. We may need a TSC-specific checkpoint there as well. Charlie adds that governance processes benefit both the governed and the governors. Freida refers to GOM section 17.08.
      • Ravi asks what these governance points mean to the Affiliates Council. Woody notes the Governance processes are the things around which there are rules and processes for ensuring the rules are respected. E.g. consensus ballot defines % for quorum, disposition of negative voting, notifications etc. Governance is embodied in those definitions. Each product line may have nuances to those types of rules. Ravi asks if we're adding layers or just resurfacing existing layers and re-using have things we know are working. Generally thought to be re-using existing processes but we may find areas where we need to invent processes.
      • Charlie summarizes that we are positing this framework to be used. Clarifying the roles and involving the GOC and including the TSC of operationalizing the governance more explicitly. That is the current thinking. Once we have the risks in hand we can start authoring governance points.
      • John raises a practical issue; we do have a formal process for publishing errata when they have been discovered in a previously published document. LRI IG had hectic cycle of corrections that go to Don for publishing and then to John for approval. OO and LRI folks are familiar with this process. However SDWG with other instances have had similar activity but they have published errata on their wiki rather than use the formal publishing process that exists. John spoke with Calvin who will bring this to SDWG. Problem this time is their errata are causing huge investment by vendors and so the corrections are receiving great scrutiny. John has kept Doug Fridsma informed due to ONC sensitivity to issue.
  2. John reports Austin has day job presentations next Monday and will likely be chairing again.

Adjourned 11:56 AM EDT

  1. Approval items:

Next Steps

Actions (Include Owner, Action Item, and due date)
  • Lynn will send email to cochairs with link to document and inform them that TSC will be voting to withdraw these next week and to let her know if they're moving forward.
Next Meeting/Preliminary Agenda Items

© 2012 Health Level Seven® International. All rights reserved.