2012-05-07 TSC Call Agenda

From HL7 TSC
Revision as of 17:27, 7 May 2012 by Llaakso (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC Agenda/Minutes

Meeting Info/Attendees

Standing Conference Calls

TSC will hold a Conference Call at 11AM Eastern time, each Monday except during scheduled face-to-face Working Group Meetings unless otherwise noted at TSC_Minutes_and_Agendas.

GoToMeeting at https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/426505829 using VOIP
For those without access to microphone/speakers:
US: +1 (224)501-3318
Canada: +1 (647)497-9379
Italy: +39 0 230 57 81 80
Access Code: 426-505-829
GoToMeeting ID: 426-505-829
HL7 TSC Meeting Minutes

Location: call 770-657-9270 using code 985371#
GoToMeeting ID: 165-215-206

Date: 2012-05-07
Time: 11:00 AM U.S. Eastern
Facilitator: Austin Kreisler Note taker(s): Lynn Laakso
Quorum = chair + 5 including 2 SD represented yes
Chair/CTO ArB International Affiliate Rep Ad-Hoc
x Austin Kreisler x Charlie Mead . Ravi Natarajan . Helen Stevens
. John Quinn x Ron Parker x Giorgio Cangioli
Domain Experts Foundation and Technology Structure and Semantic Design Technical and Support Services
x Ed Tripp . Woody Beeler x Calvin Beebe x Freida Hall
. Mead Walker x Tony Julian x Pat van Dyke regrets Patrick Loyd
ex officio Invited Guests Observers HL7 Staff
. Don Mon (HL7 Chair) w/vote . tba . . x Lynn Laakso
. Bob Dolin (Vice Chair) vote . tba . obs2 .
. Chuck Jaffe (CEO) vote . tba . . .


Agenda Topics

  1. Introduction of visitors (including declaration of interests)
  2. Agenda review and approval - Austin Kreisler
  3. Approve Minutes
  4. Review action items
  5. Approval items:
  6. Discussion topics:
    • FHIR Governance
    • Review measurement on Strategic Initiatives criteria
    • TSC members please review strategic initiatives for 2013 in preparation for discussion at WGM
  7. Reports: (attach written reports below from Steering Divisions et al.)
  8. Open Issues List

Supporting Documents

  • See links


Minutes/Conclusions Reached:

  1. Introduction of visitors (including declaration of interests) none identified
  2. Agenda review and approval - Austin Kreisler; approved by general consent
  3. Approval items:
    • Withdrawal request for HL7 Version 3 Standard: Care Provision; Allergy and Intolerance, Release 1, at Project Insight # 174 and TSC tracker 2255. This DSTU was not allowed to be extended a third time, they are moving forward with a DAM. The TSC has been anticipating this request. Calvin moves and Ed seconds approval. Vote: unanimously approved.
  4. Discussion topics:
    • FHIR Governance - since the last WGM Grahame Grieve has been working with HL7 to transfer copyright to HL7 from Grahame. This has been approved by the Board to accept copyright but will be licensed at no charge. Operationalizing the license is still being worked out. The content is under HL7 source control is in GForge, and we're hosting Grahame's content. There's a 'doorway' on the HL7 wiki. MnM has a project to flesh out FHIR methodology. Pharmacy WG wants to start working on FHIR resources. Austin has had discussions with Grahame and Lloyd, and also with Ron/Charlie/John/Tony. We will schedule discussion on Sunday evening. There are three aspects to governance: governance, management and methodology. These should be all administered under the SAIF AP. FHIR should be stood up within the SAIF framework. A FHIR governance board has been suggested, which Austin thinks is more on the 'management' aspect. Who can work on FHIR and what resources can be worked on. We want to avoid any problem as we had with V3 CMETS which got quickly out of control. We need to determine what that governance looks like on Sunday and who needs to participate so we can announce it during the week and people can begin working on it.
      • Calvin asks about the no charge to use criteria, is there chargeability for implementations or on standards based upon it. Austin feels it's no charge to use or implement the standard - you have to register to get the license but no charge to use it.
      • Calvin further asks how it relates to V3 - technical or product packaging issues? FHIR resources are mapping to the RIM, extension mechanism in FHIR may or not map to the RIM. Mapping may be by ontology but those technical questions will have to be referred to Lloyd and Grahame.
      • Calvin asks if it will be "branded" as a V3 spec. Austin doesn't know, it's an important point we still want to flesh out.
      • Calvin notes with the current structure of the Work Groups/committees - now a new group with a new ITS, do we have the volunteer bandwidth to support all of it? Austin recognizes that the volunteer resources will work on what they wish, and other efforts like the SAIF Implementation Guide collapse when efforts go in another direction.
      • Austin notes that we will discuss further on Saturday as TSC and with Lloyd and Grahame on Sunday evening and hope to produce a plan by Sunday night. Need a process for work groups to request to work on FHIR resources, someone to make intelligent decisions on what resources we'll allow, and who can work on them.
      • Calvin asks if this aligns with Fresh Look? Austin thinks this is exactly what that is, learning lessons from V2 and V3 and build on the strengths of both. However it came up from the ranks rather than down from the Board.
      • Austin asks also to think about what this means in terms of changes to the Strategic Initiatives.
      • Ed asks if we're building a message using reusable components using FHIR approach - do people ask if they want to build a certain type of message? Austin notes that's just what we need to iron out, that we may need this FHIR governance process may need to review such project scope statements before they come to the TSC.
      • Calvin asks if anyone looked at making FHIR consistent with NIEM? That's a question for Grahame. Calvin and Ron feel it may not be a very big leap. Charlie notes that NIEM had an inappropriate information model. Certain rules about how the XML looks, its ITS organization was what Calvin thought. If HL7 could pull off a FHIR-based NIEM implementation we'd be in a very well-positioned place. The US Government has tools for NIEM, and they're not RIM based but might be a good place to start.
    • Review measurement on Strategic Initiatives criteria
      • rolling average results first draft on cycles to reach normative status and ANSI publication (T1 = Jan-May, T2 = May-Sep, T3 = Sep-Jan) -Lynn reviewed the graph, noting we are in the green and the general trend is towards a single normative ballot cycles
      • changes to publication request to support Cross-artifact consistency measures for Standards that include V3 RIM-Derived information models
        • Add check boxes to the publication request
        • how much validation is needed - will SD co-chairs know if the check boxes are validated? Pub requests don't go to SD before the TSC. There will have to be education in rolling this out so the cochairs know why we're doing this new step and what it means to check these things. Some standards will be published that do not apply to this.
        • how much help text is needed to explain RIM Pattern Harmonization - Pat will work with Lynn to flesh that out
      • A draft dashboard metric to show progress towards requirements traceability was shown on a thermometer scale, but perhaps as a 'dashboard' we can use more like a fuel gauge.
    • TSC members please review strategic initiatives for 2013 in preparation for discussion at WGM - are there any outdated need to be dropped, any new ones that need to be added, and what impact FHIR may have on the SI. The SI for 2013 were emailed to the TSC Admins list. Email Austin if you need another copy.
  5. Regrets - Ravi and John Quinn will not be in Vancouver. Everyone on the call will be in Vancouver so we will have quorum.

Adjourned 11:49 AM EDT

Next Steps

Actions (Include Owner, Action Item, and due date)
  • Pat will work with Lynn to flesh out help text needed to explain check boxes on pub request such as RIM Pattern Harmonization
Next Meeting/Preliminary Agenda Items
  • See you Saturday!

© 2012 Health Level Seven® International. All rights reserved.