2010-12-13 TSC Call Minutes

From HL7 TSC
Revision as of 17:07, 13 December 2010 by Llaakso (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC Agenda/Minutes

Meeting Info/Attendees

HL7 TSC Meeting Minutes

Location: Dial 770-657-9270 and enter pass code 124466#

Date: 2010-12-13
Time: 11 am EST
Facilitator: Austin Kreisler Note taker(s): Lynn Laakso
Attendee Name Affiliation
x Calvin Beebe HL7 SSD SD Co-Chair
x Woody Beeler HL7 FTSD Co-Chair
x Bob Dolin HL7 Board Chair
x Tony Julian invited guest, HL7 FTSD
x Austin Kreisler HL7 TSC Chair, DESD Co-Chair
x Lynn Laakso HL7 staff support
x Patrick Loyd invited guest, HL7 T3SD
x second half Ken McCaslin HL7 TSS SD Co-Chair
x first half Charlie Mead HL7 ArB Chair
x first half Ravi Natarajan HL7 Affiliate Representative
Ron Parker HL7 ArB Alternate
x John Quinn HL7 CTO
x Gregg Seppala HL7 SSD SD Co-Chair
x Helen Stevens HL7 TSS SD Co-Chair
x Ed Tripp HL7 DESD Co-Chair
x D. Mead Walker HL7 FTSD Co-Chair
x Jay Zimmerman Ad-Hoc member


Quorum Requirements (Chair +5 with 2 SD Reps) Met: yes

Agenda

Agenda Topics

  1. Introduction of visitors (including declaration of interests)
  2. Agenda review and approval - Austin Kreisler
  3. Approve Minutes of 2010-12-06_TSC Call Agenda
  4. Review action items – Status updates
    • EA Implementation Program update - Charlie Mead (Tracker 1648)
    • T3F Strategic Initiative Review update - Woody (Tracker 1581)
    • Product and Services Strategy update - Ken (Tracker 1579)
  5. HL7 Chair Report – Bob Dolin
    • Incubator project
  6. CTO Report - John Quinn
  7. ArB Report – Charlie Mead/Ron Parker
  8. Affiliates Report – Ravi Natarajan/Jay Zimmerman
  9. Domain Experts Report– Austin Kreisler/Ed Tripp
  10. Foundation & Technology Report– Woody Beeler/Mead Walker
  11. Structure & Semantic Design Report– Calvin Beebe/Gregg Seppala
  12. Technical & Support Services Report- Ken McCaslin/Helen Stevens
  13. WGM Planning - agenda setting for January and May WGM
    • Working Group preparations - agendas
    • WGM success metrics: (from IOC minutes of Sept 23)
      • Attendance exceeds 250
      • No more than 5 Work Groups do not meet in Sydney
      • Over 90 % of Work Groups reached quorum for most of their sessions
      • Over 75 % of the Work Groups accomplish their meeting objectives
      • All Steering Divisions met quorum for their Monday evening meetings
      • Revenues exceed expenses by $10,000 US
      • Number of tutorial attendees exceeds 200.
      • Attendance from local/regional outreach exceeds 5 countries and 80 attendees, including AU and NZ
  14. Organizational Relations Committee update (semiweekly) - Helen Stevens
  15. Discussion Topics:
    • TSC SWOT - review
    • TSC Decision Making Practices - draft based on new template
    • Open Issues List
      Austin is reviewing outstanding issues - those assigned to Charlie will be assigned to Austin, need to determine next steps
      • Foster development of Product Strategy (#1364) – Product Quality spun off into its own project. Product & Services Strategy project scope is outstanding task item assigned to Ken.
      • HL7 Security Considerations – Cookbook (#1513) – [see also introducing new processes to HL7 at # 1681], what is the consensus mechanism by which this has been approved for use as an Education tutorial?
      • Healthcare Readiness Project Development (#1636) – updated scope circulated to Government projects list
      • Neutral Mapping Notation (#1600) – sent followup inquiry to ITS and received response that WG would likely approve a revised scope statement at the January WGM.
      • How to proceed with NCPDP’s request for mapping to the RIM (#1647) – John Quinn to create a proposal for John Klimek to do the NCPDP mapping.
      • Explore maintaining usage statistics for V3 (pending response by Marketing) # 1661 – extended request to Marketing to accept ownership of the issue but have had no response.
      • Introducing new processes to HL7 (# 1681) – description of “process adoption” process, e.g. alpha vs endorsed vs. encouraged vs mandated i.e. Security Risk Framework Cookbook

Supporting Documents

Minutes

Minutes/Conclusions Reached:
Call to order at 11:05 am

  1. Introduction of visitors (including declaration of interests) - none
  2. Agenda review and approval - Austin Kreisler
    • Move Vote on SSD request first, then ArB report
    • Agenda approved.
  3. Approve Minutes of 2010-12-06_TSC Call Agenda – with correction to spelling of SAEAF to SAIF, minutes unanimously approved.
  4. Review action items – Status updates
    • EA Implementation Program update - Charlie Mead (Tracker 1648)
      • The EA IP (project) has been shut down but the Program will continue. The ArB would like time on Sunday night agenda with the majority of their Sunday meeting to go through experience of NCI and DOD on implementing SAIF and produce straw man proposal for HL7 SAIF IG, based on collective experience outside HL7 on the things required. Lynn will add ArB SAIF presentation to Sunday agenda.
    • T3F Strategic Initiative Review update - Woody (Tracker 1581)
      • He will have a project scope statement for the 20th.
    • Product and Services Strategy update - Ken (Tracker 1579) – Ken has not yet joined the call.
  5. HL7 Chair Report – Bob Dolin
    • Incubator project – Bob spoke on the phrase coined as “R3 syndrome”. R1 as pilot, R2 as a release standard, but once you hit R3 the previous implementers have begun to push the envelope and it can crumble under the weight of expectations with a mountain of requirements, too broad and all-encompassing to allow progress. CDA R3 incubator program would allow prototype testing of the design as a part of the development of the standard itself. Parallel prototyping process may mitigate some risk of the development.
      • Charlie Mead reports that Charlie McCay told him of a UK project with pharma with document metamodel using RIM semantics. NCI standardized on the RIM, using it with clinical trials semantics, wanting it to support 21090. Found the same in France. Implementation WG many years ago had vision of companies implementing the RIM and sharing their experiences. Prototype would be high value, high visibility, approved by TSC and/or board, to lend HL7 legitimacy to these external projects running on a fast track outside of the typical HL7 waterfall process. These could then feed into traditional HL7 process threads. If HL7 can’t get CDA R3 ready with RIM and 21090 compliance then someone else namely NCI will build it.
      • Mead asks how is this different from DSTU? This is about the model of the development of the material – to add to our formal development process these external projects that work outside of HL7 that bring back to emerge the formal standard. Mead asks what HL7 development funds could be devoted? This would be more incremental and iterative rather than sitting down to write the whole standard. Warrants further discussion in Sydney.
      • Calvin asks what products would be expected from the incubator? Charlie Mead notes it should produce a candidate metamodel based on the RIM and supporting 21090.
      • Woody notes that it sounds like a DSTU. DSTU ballot can be lightweight if they wish. Ed notes that we have the Innovations process to provide a forum to work on something like this. Bob notes that they’d like to produce materials based on real-world testing.
      • Austin tables the discussion for time opportunity; bring back next week and possibly in Sydney.
  6. Ken joins.
  7. Motion: Approve publication request for for both the Consult notes and H&P implementation guides for CDA R2, at TSC Tracker # 1734.
    • Calvin describes the request as an extension for 12 months.
    • Vote: unanimously approved.
  8. Ravi leaves the call.
  9. CTO Report - John Quinn; PCAST report came out last week, response in development. US Readiness project ties in to this, notes Austin. Probably need to add to Sydney agenda. ACTION ITEM: add to Sydney agenda on Readiness project and the PCAST response.
  10. ArB Report – Charlie Mead; Thursday’s meeting was regarding confirmation of joint sessions and setting agendas. Sunday will be working on presentation.
  11. Charlie Mead leaves the call.
  12. Affiliates Report – Ravi Natarajan
    I have not been able to progress much on the communication project. I would be liaising with Jay for the smooth handover of the work. In mean time I am intending to stand in for vacant post of Int. Affliates (arising out of Charlie’s Resignation). My SMT are happy for me to send in my nomination. I have sent that same to UK Affiliates chairs today stating my intention to stand for that post.
    • Helen adds the International Council nominations request closes the week before the WGM. If there is one nominee they can acclaim them on the Sunday meeting; if there are more than one they will have to have a 30-day election
  13. Domain Experts Report–Ed Tripp had nothing to report this week.
  14. Foundation & Technology Report– Woody Beeler/Mead Walker – they meet tomorrow.
  15. Structure & Semantic Design Report– Calvin Beebe/Gregg Seppala
    • Update on EHR Public Health Functional Profile request for public document at Tracker # 1725 – it will not be published as a public document.
  16. Technical & Support Services Report- Ken McCaslin/Helen Stevens – bringing forward project scope statement update for 2011 soon. 114 registrants so far
  17. WGM Planning –
    • agenda setting for January and May WGM
    • Working Group preparations - agendas
    • WGM success metrics: (from IOC minutes of Sept 23)
      • Attendance exceeds 250
      • No more than 5 Work Groups do not meet in Sydney
      • Over 90 % of Work Groups reached quorum for most of their sessions
      • Over 75 % of the Work Groups accomplish their meeting objectives
      • All Steering Divisions met quorum for their Monday evening meetings
      • Revenues exceed expenses by $10,000 US
      • Number of tutorial attendees exceeds 200.
      • Attendance from local/regional outreach exceeds 5 countries and 80 attendees, including AU and NZ
    • Will have to assess based on co-chair post-WGM survey for many of these. Austin asks what measures indicate success – Helen notes that all of these metrics would have to be met to declare success. Austin notes that we already know that there will be more than 5 work groups not meeting in Sydney. What percentage of meeting these metrics means what portion of success.
    • Ken asks how many work groups did not meet in Brazil? Lynn thinks seven. Ken then asks how many didn’t meet in Cambridge – Helen thinks three. We must be careful of declaring a WGM “unsuccessful” for poor public perception; a WGM is never a failure, but to declare that all these metrics must be met to declare success is too high an obstacle. What can the TSC do to help? Helen notes we can influence to ensure that WGs have up-to-date DMPs to clarify quorum, or make modifications to ensure they can meet and meet quorum. The TSC can also ask WG to set objectives that are appropriate. Action ITEM: Austin will send a message to the cochairs.
  18. Calvin leaves the call.
  19. Organizational Relations Committee update (semiweekly) - Helen Stevens – nothing actionable to report on their call.
  20. Discussion Topics:
    • TSC SWOT - review
      Strengths – Ed adds that he thinks the group is proactive. Patrick adds that we have a lot of experience, change respected to respected, highly experienced membership
      Weaknesses – hasn’t changed much, perhaps increased; are they still weaknesses or have they graduated to being threats? Woody observes we spend much time debating process as opposed to substance.
      Opportunities – Roadmap is now called Strategic Initiatives. Ed suggests we add Improve Product quality.
      Threats – first one (loss of momentum) is no longer an issue. Third one does not appear to have materialized. There are other emerging threats, such as PCAST, interaction with Profiler-Enforcer Organizations. Woody asks if that is a Board issue or a TSC issue. Austin feels it’s strategic but there are also things the TSC could be doing to mitigate the problem. John describes the potential in this PCAST to using new terminology that would recreate HL7. Austin suggests we add a placeholder here such as PCAST, take it to the list and figure out how we word this?


adjourned 12:02 PM EST


Next Steps

Actions (Include Owner, Action Item, and due date)
  • Lynn will add ArB SAIF IG presentation to Sunday agenda
  • Lynn will add to Sydney agenda on Readiness project and the PCAST response.
  • Austin will send a message to the cochairs on DMPs or other measures to help Work Groups achieve quorum and meet WGM quality criteria.
Next Meeting/Preliminary Agenda Items