2009-07-06 TSC Call Agenda

From HL7 TSC
Revision as of 14:14, 6 July 2009 by Llaakso (talk | contribs) (→‎Agenda)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC - Technical Steering Committee

Monday, July 6, 2009 11:00 AM (US Eastern Daylight Time, GMT -5)
To participate, dial 770-657-9270 and enter pass code 124466#
GoToMeeting at https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/165215206
GoToMeeting ID: 165-215-206 

back to TSC Minutes and Agendas



  • Chair: Charlie McCay
  • CTO: John Quinn
  • Domain Experts: Austin Kreisler (primary), Ed Tripp (alternate)
  • Foundation & Technology: Ioana Singureanu (primary), Woody Beeler (alternate)
  • Structure & Semantic Design: Calvin Beebe (primary), Gregg Seppala (alternate)
  • Technical & Support Services: Ken McCaslin (primary), Helen Stevens Love (alternate)
  • Affiliate: Ravi Natarajan
  • ARB: Charlie Mead (primary), John Koisch (alternate)
  • Ad-Hoc: Jim Case
  • HQ: Lynn Laakso


  • Charles Jaffe (CEO)
  • Ed Hammond (HL7 Chair); Bob Dolin (HL7 Vice Chair)
  • Marc Koehn (EA IP)
  • Karen Van Hentenryck (HQ)


  • John Quinn


  1. (5 min) Meeting Admin
    1. Roll Call -
    2. Accept Agenda - please note the call must end at 11:55AM as there is a Board call immediately following
    3. Approve Minutes from
    4. Review action items
  2. (20 min) Standing Committee Reports/Approvals
    1. CEO Report -
    2. CTO Report - My apologies for not attending this weeks call. I inadvertently (across multiple time zones) managed to commit myself at another meeting at the same time as this call. I will strive to insure that this does not happen again (or at least does not become a recurring problem).
      • Last week was a relatively short week. I took holiday/vacation Tuesday through Friday as much as possible. On Monday I attended the first of a two day meeting hosted in Washington DC by ONCHIT (specifically the NHIN) announcing the availability of their open source “connect” software for the NHIN. Chuck Jaffe attended both days and attended other meetings in Washington DC after I left at the end of day on Monday.
      • Chuck and I were both informed that HL7 needs more physical presence at Washington meetings—specifically the ONCHIT ARRA Standards Advisory Board meetings. Apparently the attendance has to be specifically HL7 leadership and the fact that at least three board members are on the Board is not sufficient. Questions arise during the meetings that require HL7’s input and sometimes commitment. I (or a specific appointed substitute) will attend each of these meetings in the future.
      • I will attend that HITSP Panel meeting on Wednesday this week in Washington DC.
      • EA IP Update
    3. ArB Report -
    4. Affiliates Report -
    5. Domain Experts -
    6. Foundation & Technology -
    7. Structure & Semantic Design -
    8. Technical & Support Services -
  3. (30 min) Discussion topics
    • Open Issues List
      • TSC Tracker 749: Review the role of the steering divisions
      • TSC Tracker 745: HQ to explore cost of providing secretarial support to the WGs
      • TSC Tracker 1001: TSC Large Customer Partnerships Project Proposal
      • PSS at TSC Tracker 999: TSC Product Visibility Project Proposal
        Feedback on draft “Product Brief” categories and matrix on domains.
        Does this need to be approved as a project? Does the TSC wish to modify the product list before “approving” it? Are we ready to send the Product Brief templates to the appropriate work groups to fill out?
      • PSS at TSC Tracker 998: TSC Project Visibility Proposal
      • PSSat TSC Tracker 997: TSC Work Group Visibility project proposal
    • Three-year plan guideline review
      • Motion tendered and tabled on 2009-06-01 CC: The TSC provide a structure and format guideline for three year plans to the WGs that describes the content detail required for their own project guidance and decision making processes
      • Project Insight proposed modifications to support tracking of three-year planning for projects -
      1. Modify fields within Project Insight. Suggestions include:
        • Project State – Currently an unused field; use ‘Planning’ (three-year-plan) or ‘Active’ (currently in-process) as appropriate
        • Project Status – Currently an unused field; add the items in Ed Tripp’s dropdown list: Lynn or Dave of HQ can update Project Insight each ballot cycle for those projects coming to ballot.
        • Project Type – modify this field by adding a selection item to identify a project as a 3 Year Plan project – this was a suggestion but probably would not be needed if we used the 'planning' project state to identify those items not-yet-in-progress
        • End Date - update the end date field to reflect that which is listed in the project or on a three-year plan, and run reports for those projects exceeding their predicted End Date to get an updated status and timeline.
      2. Enter approximately 100+ new projects into Project Insight (these would be all of the Work Group’s 3 Year Plan items)
      3. Modify the Searchable Project Database Tool (cannot be done until mid to late August as HQ is booked with work on the new website). So far, the modifications needed would be to pull in the two unused fields mentioned above
      • The majority of the 'projects' (or activities that look like they’re our typical projects) missing PI #s is small. The larger number, and probably no more than a hundred, are 'tasks' that cochairs may choose not to add to project insight but to maintain manually on a three year plan spreadsheet. The project Insight export and the manually maintained list would have to be combined to fully represent a work group’s three-year plan, but many of these tactical tasks are not necessarily things that would be of interest to the audience we’ve targeted for providing visibility to the activities of the Working Group.
    • Nominations for SD reps not sufficient numbers to cover open positions; please promote!

Future Agenda item list

Click for TSC Action Item List