2009-03-16 TSC Call Minutes

From HL7 TSC
Revision as of 18:37, 16 March 2009 by Llaakso (talk | contribs) (New page: TSC - Technical Steering Committee Monday, March 13, 2009 11:00 AM (US Eastern Daylight Time, GMT -4) To participate, dial 770-657-9270 and enter pass code 124466# GoToMeeting at https...)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC - Technical Steering Committee

Monday, March 13, 2009 11:00 AM (US Eastern Daylight Time, GMT -4)
To participate, dial 770-657-9270 and enter pass code 124466#
GoToMeeting at https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/165215206
GoToMeeting ID: 165-215-206 

back to TSC Minutes and Agendas



  • Chair: Charlie McCay
  • CTO: John Quinn
  • Domain Experts: Austin Kreisler (primary), Ed Tripp (alternate)
  • Foundation & Technology: Ioana Singureanu (primary), Woody Beeler (alternate)
  • Structure & Semantic Design: Calvin Beebe (primary), Gregg Seppala (alternate)
  • Technical & Support Services: Ken McCaslin (primary), Helen Stevens Love (alternate)
  • Affiliate: Ravi Natarajan
  • ARB: Charlie Mead (primary), John Koisch (alternate)
  • HQ: Karen Van Hentenryck, Lynn Laakso


  • Charles Jaffe (CEO)
  • Ed Hammond (HL7 Chair); Bob Dolin (HL7 Vice Chair)
  • Marc Koehn (EA IP)
  • Frieda Hall


  • John Quinn
  • Ravi Natarajan


  1. (5 min) Meeting Admin
    1. Roll Call - The following individuals joined the call: Calvin Beebe, Woody Beeler, Frieda Hall, Marc Koehn, John Koisch (dropped off), Austin Kreisler, Lynn Laakso, Ken McCaslin, Charlie McCay, Charlie Mead, Chuck Meyer, Gregg Seppala, Mark Shafarman, Ioana Singureanu, Helen Stevens Love, Ed Tripp, and Karen Van Hentenryck
    2. Accept Agenda – bring TSC projects and enterprise architecture forward? Bring forward voting items recommended since Helen can’t stay long to retain quorum. DESD, FTSD, SSD SD then National Initiative then EA

Imaging integration – unanimously approved Discussion on Templates Registry – this will be approved by peer review. In comparison to the registry for implementation guides, this is to establish metadata requirements and use cases. Distinguish from specification registry per Greg. Unanimously approved. Mark S left the call at this point.

Clinical genomics – patient care not comfortable yet. Table a little longer? PC thinks SNOMED should be allowed for family history and Genomics does not agree. Do we give them time or reject the project. Process Issue - how are issues escalated, that is what this process is at the TSC. Invite them to submit to the TSC for next week a statement of issues. And we may refer to Terminfo or ArB?

EA IP Marc update: feedback on how to kickstart our work. Marc had reported to join ArB for half-day in OOC meeting in Vegas. Before that we’ll work on alpha project considerations document further, invite ArB to comment; come up with something together. Gathering process materials and getting guidance from Ken and Nancy for a process review document determine what the outputs need to be based on the inventory we gather for as-is world and determine what artifacts are needed from what we gather. Architectureally what do we document how do we document it well, example of the discussion on the genomics project. Looking for predictability of how issues are dealt with and resolved…

Marc drops off call at this point.

Actionable national intiative: proposed as TSC project. Since last summer hl7 looking at providing a better service to peos through national initiative, u.s. in particular but also Netherlands, uk, Australia, Canada etc. Looking for how large-scale national initiative project scan engage with hl7 more effectively. How the tsc works how the arb works and how the development projects can happen alongside the other work happening in HL7., organization budget is expected to be funded by that activity, and value we deliver will be based on working with national-scale programs without tripping up the other stuff we’re doing. Ioana asks will this look into a U.S. affiliate? Note that the interested parties have not agreed to participate. They are suggested. Charlie has not discussed with Dennis Giokas yet. Genesis of the work is Charlie’s concern to link U.S> national initiative and ???. Need to describe what would happen in HL7 to deliver value to each of those initiatives. How to deliver a set of requirements in a fixed time frame? Ioana suggestes it would contain u.s. affiliate, harmonization requirements etc. Not a decision making project but put together a suite of proposals for the effort. Dennis asked Helen to action a plan tied to healthfinger meeting. May need to make that explicit in PSS. Helen must drop off. Frieda needs to talk to Linda to ensure she can take on facilitator role. Document is still really being drafted, not ready for TSC approval. Freida could discuss with Linda what the scope of this activity needs to be. Woody not happy for use of word of “enforcer”, not a friendly word. Pass the word back up to the Board. Freida comments that U.S. realm using it from Gartner analysis. Charlie reiterates we need to be clear what the outputs of the project should be for materials available to decision-making bodies. Who would make the changes if org changes are recommended. Lynn arry on working on it over next week or so, get it to point where we can approve as TSC project in next couple of weeks. Ioana would like to see resolution of other outstanding items in this project. U.S. affiliate question may be a related activities; task force on affiliate in limbo. Michael Van Campen leading discussion on OneMemberOneVote. Can we use this to close the loop? Woody reminds that discussion of the US affiliate can subsume any other work and care must be taken. How do we provide value to the organizations, and how do we present that to these organizations. Need to address whether it is in scope or a related issue within this document. Frieda left the call at this point.

Previous minutes: chuck meyer. CTO involvement in resolving ballot pool issues. Chuck requested input on his modification of the resolution for peer review comment and wanted to get feedback on email sent last Monday regarding WI0901003. Ioana and Woody both assented. No other comments; minutes approved unanimously Ceo report, none Cto report, expected later ARB: Charlie Mead – all four decks done. Behavioral deck in final edit, time to start writing the four documents to go with them. Cc and governance left to do. All done and get comments by vegas. Last week oht met three days f2f and formally adopted the ECCF for framework to use to assert compliance and deal with how to specify core components of tooling based arch. Jane Curry and quinn presented on tools. ECCF does not specify artifacts but development of fframework for the development of the artifacts. OHTHot looking at how to use that to build tools. NCI adopting ECCF with its own set of artifacts. Australia MITA and iCanada infoway also looking to adopt ECCF. We gained the traction we’d hoped for, from ECCF.

Affiliates; no report

DESD: backup plan for Kyoto. Ed can’t go, Austin can’t. Slight chance it may change in next few weeks for Austin. Ed suggests Jim Case as cochair emeritus. Charlie suggests still valuable to have someone from DESD there at TSC meeting for input. Would they have voice or vote? DMPs prohibit proxy, but we can change our DMPs though. Just don’t want to break governance rules; still valuable to have their say even without a vote. Need to know if they’ll have someone there, first.

FTSD: PSS approved. No other business.

SSD SD. Couple project poposals coming up next week. Question on paperwork for other interested parties. Was asking if could be cleaned up to say other interested parties of the project.

T3SD next meeting Thursday, nothing to report at this time.

TSC internal projects: would like to get them approved, identify the resourcing issues. Encouraging strategic members, active members, to engage in them. TSC memebers if they have time, or get funding from Board… Need feedback, if there’s no point doing that.

Technology plan: change to compare new and old product lists. Reasonable summary of objectives. No issues with this document. Put a motion for next week to approve the documents

Roadmap tasks: reviewed roadmap tasks; first task has a draft. Looked briefly at CTO, TSC Chair, TSC PM comparison of roles. Adjourn 12:00 pm Post-script Chuck Meyer changes to request for publication.

  1. Guest topic – priority agenda items
  2. Remaining meeting admin items
    1. Approve Minutes from 2009-03-09 TSC Call Minutes
    2. Review action items
  3. (20 min) Standing Committee Reports/Approvals
    1. EA IP Update - Marc Koehn
    2. CEO Report -
    3. CTO Report – Expects to send a report later today
    4. ArB Report -
    5. Affiliates Report -
    6. Domain Experts -
      • Backup plan for Kyoto DESD no cochairs – WG can elect a temporary cochair for the Kyoto meeting of the SD but not necessary for the TSC meeting if we will reach quorum.
      • Project Approval: Imaging Integration COCT_RM830120UV05 Project Scope Statement [1] TSC Tracker # 985
    7. Foundation & Technology -
      • Project Approval: Templates Registry Business Requirements Analysis [2] TSC Tracker # 977 - question on listserv on multiple registry projects.
    8. Structure & Semantic Design -
      • Project Approval: Clinical Genomics - Project Proposal (attachment) on Genetic Testing Reports (tabled from 2009-03-02) [3] TSC Tracker # 917
    9. Technical & Support Services -
  4. (30 min) Discussion topics