2009-03-02 TSC Call Minutes

From HL7 TSC
Revision as of 18:00, 2 March 2009 by Llaakso (talk | contribs) (New page: TSC - Technical Steering Committee Monday, March 02, 2009 11:00 AM (US Eastern Time, GMT -5) To participate, dial 770-657-9270 and enter pass code 124466# GoToMeeting at https://www.go...)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TSC - Technical Steering Committee

Monday, March 02, 2009 11:00 AM (US Eastern Time, GMT -5)
To participate, dial 770-657-9270 and enter pass code 124466#
GoToMeeting at https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/165215206
GoToMeeting ID: 165-215-206 

back to TSC Minutes and Agendas



  • Chair: Charlie McCay
  • CTO: John Quinn
  • Domain Experts: Austin Kreisler (primary), Ed Tripp (alternate)
  • Foundation & Technology: Ioana Singureanu (primary), Woody Beeler (alternate)
  • Structure & Semantic Design: Calvin Beebe (primary), Gregg Seppala (alternate)
  • Technical & Support Services: Ken McCaslin (primary), Helen Stevens Love (alternate)
  • Affiliate: Ravi Natarajan
  • ARB: Charlie Mead (primary), John Koisch (alternate)
  • HQ: Karen Van Hentenryck, Lynn Laakso


  • Charles Jaffe (CEO)
  • Ed Hammond (HL7 Chair); Bob Dolin (HL7 Vice Chair)
  • Marc Koehn (EA IP)



  1. Meeting Admin
    1. Roll Call - The following individuals joined the call: Calvin Beebe, Woody Beeler, Marc Koehn, John Koisch, Austin Kreisler, Lynn Laakso, Ken McCaslin, Charlie McCay, Charlie Mead, Ravi Natarajan, John Quinn, Gregg Seppala, Ioana Singureanu, Helen Stevens Love, and Ed Tripp
    2. Accept Agenda – no changes noted; Board meeting follows; must adjourn at ten-‘til the hour.
    3. Approve Minutes from concall-20090223 – Calvin abstain
      • Review suggestion of revision to minutes from concall-20090216: The updated motion:

        When scope is changed in a project an adjusted Project Scope Statement will be approved by the sponsoring WG (s) and the SD, providing the TSC using the same time line and deadlines as submissions for new projects.

      • Woody suggest amend the motion to "provided to the TSC using…"
      • Motion from Ken, second Woody; unanimously approved.
    4. Review action items
  2. (20 min) Standing Committee Reports/Approvals
    1. EA IP Report – Marc Koehn: kickoff last week needed more time; selection criteria for alpha projects discussed; participated on ArB call last week starting dialog on how these can work together: three streams. HDF as core methodology under consideration going forward, alpha projects, taking an ArB day in Vegas 2Q to use for planning for EA IP. March will still be formation and thinking activities. Come out of Vegas with concrete joint deliverables, timing, and relationship on project going forward. Charlie McKay asks if we’re on track for May full rollout plan. Marc is cautiously optimistic but a little bit concerned. Only 3 ½ weeks from ArB meeting to Kyoto. Need to make good progress before Vegas session.
    2. CEO Report – no report
    3. CTO Report – no report
    4. ArB Report – Governance deck is close to ‘publishable’, have Behavioral Framework (BF) ready by next week. Three of four are ready. OHT “architecture project team” says ECCF is more ready to address. NCI ready to roll over a project using historical NCI guidelines to the ECCF.
      • Ioana asked about peer review release. SAEAF was split into four sections from which to create decks and then planned to write document from the decks. Conformance/Compliance Framework (C/C), Governance, BF, and fourth sections. Ioana noted that Tony said the document was available for peer review after Feb 15. That is no longer the plan. Ioana asks Charlie Mead to change the posted information.
      • Ravi asks about the OHT group. International group purpose still a little fuzzy but getting clearer. Mostly defining characteristics for tools to interoperate in this space. In Jan they discussed pertinence of the SAEAF. 3 day f2f next week to get into the ECCF to see if architecture team can start populating spec stacks for what OHT would use. Push tools up against the ECCF and see how they stack up. Charlie is leading it. Charter project, approved by OHT board. Ravi notes he does not see it on the OHT website. Charlie Mead signed off the call at this point.
    5. Affiliates Report –Nothing to report.
    6. Domain Experts -
      • DESD has one project vote underway currently
      • DESD may not have a represetative present in Kyoto
        • Heads-up: Right now no DESD rep going to be at Kyoto. Neither Austin nor Ed can attend. What is the option for provisional? Nothing in the GOM. Still may change between now and then. Put on agenda to discuss next week.
        • Helen asks if a letter from HL7 would help convince an employer to send one to the Kyoto meeting. Austin says in his instance it would not apply.
      • Ed notes outstanding issue on DSTU trial period. Couple of ballots hanging on this direction. No direction yet available from GOC. Put on the agenda for next week and get Chuck on the call?
    7. Foundation & Technology –. Conf Call identified someone as liaison to ArB. Wish to get more involved in the review of SAEAF. Initiated HDF peer review. Looking for additional editors. Had an HDF walkthrough call last Friday. Additional work required as the SAEAF and new artifacts are identified in EA Framework, for design, process, description, and quality criteria for these artifacts.
      • Ravi asks if the HDF is normative or informative. Ioana clarified that the document is not balloted any longer; was formerly an informative ballot. It’s for internal use only, by peer review process.
      • Ed thinks one of the deliverables of the EA IP would be changes to the HDF.
      • Friday’s planning call identified it as part of a foundational suite of documents as part of EA IP.
    8. Structure & Semantic Design –
      • New M&C for PA and OO; no TSC approval needed.
      • Project Approval: Patient Administration - Project Proposal on Scheduling CMET [1] TSC Tracker # 915 Discussion ensued regarding whether balloting CMETs as informative this cycle. Approved unainimously expecting changes on ballot cycle intent.
      • Project Approval: Orders & Observations - Project Proposal on Common Product Model [2] TSC Tracker #916 Project Proposal scope change;
        • Ed notes FDA should be added as collaborative partner, add Randy Levin and Ed Tripp to PSS as other interested parties as noted under Issue # 916. Calvin motion second by Ed to amended motion; unanimously approved.
      • Project Approval: CCOW - Project Proposal on CCOW V1.5 ANSI reaffirmation, unanimously approved. [3], see TSC Tracker #888
      • Project Approval: Clinical Genomics - Project Proposal (attachment) on Genetic Testing Reports [4] Tracker # 917 Question on IG; DESD wants it tabled while PC works with Genomics on some issues; questions regarding an IG based on CDA R3 which is not approved yet. Tabled motion for two weeks.
      • Request for Publication of DSTU: CDA R2 HAI [5] Tracker #919 Ballot summary also includes HAI (2). Is the name right? Tabled until we get clarification.
    9. Technical & Support Services - no report, waiting for response on Editorial Review Committee.
  3. (30 min) Discussion topics
    1. Ballot Cycle document summary for May2009 [6] Tracker #913
      • Question on HAI CDA R2 when we have DSTU coming,
      • Concern of balloting DSTU extension pending clarification of direction. Need to sort this out by next week.
    2. TSC internal projects – see draft TSC Three-Year-Plan.

Meeting adjourned 11:55am.

Future Agenda item list

Click for TSC Action Item List